ADVERTISEMENT

Ethan Black

Field vision and making people miss is the key to returning KOs and punts. That being said, if he can figure that out, he definitely has scary speed.

Reactions: bison13
With our luck they’ll probably make him a fullback so he can get into the middle of the scrum and mix it up with the big boys.

• Haha
Reactions: step.eng69
4.25. That's correct. 4.25.

I think we have our ko and punt return man for this season.
Who was the kid about 10 or 15 years ago that had great speed but always got tackled by the ground. Remember fellas, you have to be actually good at football.

Reactions: blmr31
Who was the kid about 10 or 15 years ago that had great speed but always got tackled by the ground. Remember fellas, you have to be actually good at football.
The HVCAC laughs at football skills and coaching expertise.

Reactions: BOSCO2
No, not Leroy but he had the problem too.

If I remember correctly, Thompson was out of TN, a track champion and the highest rated RB in the nation (and among the highest rated overall recruits in the nation).

Pretty sure he ended up being drafted in NFL and had a decent career (5 or 6 seasons).

Reactions: bison13 and Ian
If I remember correctly, Thompson was out of TN, a track champion and the highest rated RB in the nation (and among the highest rated overall recruits in the nation).

Pretty sure he ended up being drafted in NFL and had a decent career (5 or 6 seasons).
He was solid at PSU but never had the career that his resume seemed to forecast.

Reactions: bison13
He was solid at PSU but never had the career that his resume seemed to forecast.

He did trip himself after bursting into wide-open field an inordinate number of times (plays where he appeared he might go the distance - nobody near him in open-field..... almost as if he was ready for somebody to hit him and when noone was there, his extreme forward lean would cause him to trip as he tried to adjust to a more upright sprinting position).

Reactions: PSUPride1

That is probably Holuba 40, so subtract a tenth, but it's still fast.

For starters maybe they'll try him as a gunner. He's got to be able to fight through a block but then that speed is super helpful.

Punt returning is highly technical, a lot more than speed. it's almost like being a quarterback -- requires a lot of decisionmaking and the stakes are very high if you make the wrong decision.

KO returns (provided he can take a hit and not fumble) are a better bet for an inexperienced player.

And as others have noted, you can line him up run him down the sidelines and put stress on secondaries. If he proves he can catch the ball, they'll have to put their fastest corner on him, and that could open up opportunities for other receivers.

That is probably Holuba 40, so subtract a tenth, but it's still fast.

For starters maybe they'll try him as a gunner. He's got to be able to fight through a block but then that speed is super helpful.

Punt returning is highly technical, a lot more than speed. it's almost like being a quarterback -- requires a lot of decisionmaking and the stakes are very high if you make the wrong decision.

KO returns (provided he can take a hit and not fumble) are a better bet for an inexperienced player.

And as others have noted, you can line him up run him down the sidelines and put stress on secondaries. If he proves he can catch the ball, they'll have to put their fastest corner on him, and that could open up opportunities for other receivers.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
very fast for sure. but i am not sure we see return from kid. would like to see an attempt though.

He did trip himself after bursting into wide-open field an inordinate number of times (plays where he appeared he might go the distance - nobody near him in open-field..... almost as if he was ready for somebody to hit him and when noone was there, his extreme forward lean would cause him to trip as he tried to adjust to a more upright sprinting position).
Yeah, I remember that as well. I met he and his wife one time at a state college bar. Really classy people.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
EB has to develop a college football body before we worry about his contributions. If he can put on 15-20 lbs and retain that speed, he could wind up being an alltime walkon!

I think a more likely freshman walk-on to return kick offs is DK Kency. He’s an excellent running back who averaged 9 ypc for his career and has 4.4 speed. He’s 5’ 7” and about 180 but can break tackles and drags tacklers along in his highlights.

Bobby Samuels and Michael Timpson had the same label, Timpson did make it to the NFL with the Patriots for a spesll, I believe.

the kid from Shippensburg a few years back also made it to the NFL, as a ST gunner, forget his name. Was an incredible athlete. Ethan or Nathan something.

Bobby Samuels and Michael Timpson had the same label, Timpson did make it to the NFL with the Patriots for a spesll, I believe.

the kid from Shippensburg a few years back also made it to the NFL, as a ST gunner, forget his name. Was an incredible athlete. Ethan or Nathan something.
Ethan Kilmer?

Reactions: 19333lion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT