ADVERTISEMENT

Edmond Ruth Verbals to Lehigh

I feel kind of bad about this. If will be very strange watching an Ed Ruth wrestle while continuously moving backwards always trying to win 2 - 1 or 3 - 2 matches.

Reactions: redblades
I feel kind of bad about this. If will be very strange watching an Ed Ruth wrestle while continuously moving backwards always trying to win 2 - 1 or 3 - 2 matches.
Yeah, I love the pickup for Lehigh but not necessarily the fit for him. He has tons of offensive potential waiting to be tapped ... and it could still be waiting when he graduates from Lehigh.

IMO his best program frees him up to score and score more. Who's the last Santoro wrestler to do that -- Hamlin? And they've had guys with scoring ability ...

Wasn't Edmund Ruth a must-have recruit for PSU, projected to be a 4X national champ? And we whiffed on the kid; yikes. :eek:o_O

Glad to see him stay in PA. Needs to create his own name. Going to PSU would’ve led him to being compared to his brother in every aspect. Still possibly will be but not nearly as much had he chosen PSU.

...great pickup for Lehigh...
...how many times do you get a chance to sign the younger brother of your biggest rival's most successful wrestler?...
...unfortunately, not really a big surprise... :(

Uh oh. Spyker's gonna sh*t...
As long as he doesn’t then kill us! ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

I think this is a great move for all parties involved. Lehigh gets a great wrestler with a huge upside. Edmund gets a great education, competing at a high level and doesn't have to follow in the footsteps of his brother. I think him coming to PSU would have been brutal for him and his family. Ed is not only arguably the greatest Nittany Lion to ever put on a singlet, but arguably the best collegiate wrestler ever. Hell, Flo just made that argument last week. I think Baby Ruth will flourish at Lehigh.

I do not get he comments about following in big brothers foot steps. I personally do not see it as a bad thing. I think that PSU fans would have excepted him no matter what..if for nothing else he is part of the extended blue and white family....it's just a verbal he can change his mind.

Reactions: The Shelter
I do not get he comments about following in big brothers foot steps. I personally do not see it as a bad thing. I think that PSU fans would have excepted him no matter what..if for nothing else he is part of the extended blue and white family....it's just a verbal he can change his mind.
You must have come to the board after the Altons. Our fans can be brutal when you don’t meet expectations.

I think this is a great move for all parties involved. Lehigh gets a great wrestler with a huge upside. Edmund gets a great education, competing at a high level and doesn't have to follow in the footsteps of his brother. I think him coming to PSU would have been brutal for him and his family. Ed is not only arguably the greatest Nittany Lion to ever put on a singlet, but arguably the best collegiate wrestler ever. Hell, Flo just made that argument last week. I think Baby Ruth will flourish at Lehigh.
Ed was great, no question, but better tap the brakes about best collegiate wrestler ever. Now, if you're talking best ever at PSU, you have a reasonable argument (he is for sure in the discussion).

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM
Ed was great, no question, but better tap the brakes about best collegiate wrestler ever. Now, if you're talking best ever at PSU, you have a reasonable argument (he is for sure in the discussion).
I get what you are saying. I am not saying he is in the conversation with Cael or Gable, but when your name is thrown around in the top 10 ever out of the countless of collegiate wrestlers to ever put a singlet on, yeah you are in the conversation and lumped into the mix of the greatest. It's a pretty hard act to follow.

Reactions: jtothemfp
That's pretty funny, but to be fair - they've gotten a lot more aggressive in the past 2-3 seasons. Hopefully Ruth will continue that trend.

Nice pickup for Lehigh, where will Edmond be wrestling this year? IIRC the FRL guys said he didn't end up at Clovis

You must have come to the board after the Altons. Our fans can be brutal when you don’t meet expectations.
I was on the board when the Altons were at PSU, and yes there are some folks on this board that can be brutal..(I right those fans off as fans that never actually wrestled..therefore have no idea how tough of a sport it truly is) but I believe overall PSU fan base are good fans and the support all PSU wrestlers no matter what success they find in college.

Great pick-up for Lehigh. I wish the Ruth's nothing but the best. Good people.

As far as this thread, it's awesome :).

Reactions: DeadHead11
Also Quentin Wright's soph year before B10s.

Also Gulibon.

Also the Teasdale panic this past year.

Let's face it: the fans need a punching bag.

Edmond will enter college far more credentialed than Ed did. That doesn't mean better, but fan bases often don't make that distinction. His expectations would be thru the roof.

Reactions: smealpsu2005
Also Quentin Wright's soph year before B10s.

Also Gulibon.

Also the Teasdale panic this past year.

Let's face it: the fans need a punching bag.

Edmond will enter college far more credentialed than Ed did. That doesn't mean he's as good, but fan bases often don't make that distinction. His expectations would be thru the roof.
It is a phenomenon that exists in all sports. Here, we're talking about 18-22 year old's, however. Punch away at the professional athlete's, I'll never understand doing it to student-athlete's.

Calling Dr. Freud.

Assuming he returns to Susquehanna Twp this year, here's how states lines up for him:

If he stays 170: the only potential challengers would have to move up from lighter weights: 160 3rd Jared McGill or 152 champ Thayne Lawrence.

If he goes 182, Gaige Garcia might have a shot -- if Garcia stays 182. Julian Gorring maybe could stall his way to an OT upset, but can't get into a shootout with Ruth (and probably wouldn't try).

Barring a major transfer or somebody dramatically improving, I don't see anyone else in AA at that level.

That's pretty funny, but to be fair - they've gotten a lot more aggressive in the past 2-3 seasons. Hopefully Ruth will continue that trend.
If they have improved their aggressiveness I haven't noticed. I admit I generally only see them wrestle against Penn State, nationals and maybe a streamed match or two. But the style seems fairly ingrained. Circle and slide backwards, occasionally fire a shot at someone moving forward while stalking them. If a TD can be had, float, ride and hang tight.

Assuming he returns to Susquehanna Twp this year, here's how states lines up for him:

If he stays 170: the only potential challengers would have to move up from lighter weights: 160 3rd Jared McGill or 152 champ Thayne Lawrence.

If he goes 182, Gaige Garcia might have a shot -- if Garcia stays 182. Julian Gorring maybe could stall his way to an OT upset, but can't get into a shootout with Ruth (and probably wouldn't try).

Barring a major transfer or somebody dramatically improving, I don't see anyone else in AA at that level.
I'm assuming Garcia is playing football in college?

Susquehanna Twp is back up to AAA this cycle.

Some changes that I know of for PIAA wrestling. FYI

Also to stay on topic I think Edmond Ruth is an excellent prospect. Saw him dominate Gaige Garcia who could also be a top prospect if he ever concentrated on wrestling. Ruth was basically a 160 wrestles up a weight too at that point, lifted Garcia up way off the mat on the one TD.

AAA

Juniata

Honesdale

Greater nanticoke

Berwick

Valley view

Susquehanna twp

South Fayette

Greater Johnstown

Belmont Charter

AA

Hopewell

Octorara

East pennsboro

Tunkhannock

General McLane

Allentown cc

Pope John Paul II

Phillipsburg Osceola

Bald eagle area

Blackhawk

Highlands

Some changes that I know of for PIAA wrestling. FYI

Also to stay on topic I think Edmond Ruth is an excellent prospect. Saw him dominate Gaige Garcia who could also be a top prospect if he ever concentrated on wrestling. Ruth was basically a 160 wrestles up a weight too at that point, lifted Garcia up way off the mat on the one TD.

AAA

Juniata

Honesdale

Greater nanticoke

Berwick

Valley view

Susquehanna twp

South Fayette

Greater Johnstown

Belmont Charter

AA

Hopewell

Octorara

East pennsboro

Tunkhannock

General McLane

Allentown cc

Pope John Paul II

Phillipsburg Osceola

Bald eagle area

Blackhawk

Highlands
Any idea how many of those going to AAA are actually because their numbers require it or how many are choosing to go, even though their numbers don't meet the threshold?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT