ADVERTISEMENT

Edinboro and Slippery Rock

Interesting reaction. Survival in the tech business, or any life endeavor, requires various skills certainly, including inter-personal skills. What technical skills will be required, say, ten years from now remains to be seen.
What is apparent now is that to be hired as a new employee at (roll call of the top high tech firms), in most cases requires a solid background in one of a variety of STEM disciplines.
Unless your BA in History is from an Ivy League level school, getting in as a first level professional at a place like Google is pretty slim.
True but there still is much value in a liberal arts education. STEM is important but you can not forget the value of a holistic education.

The real problem with the education system is jealousy over teachers. People have painted them as lazy, over paid, evil union employees. We have sacrificed the education of our children in order to hold teacher accountable. Instead of fostering thinking and education development we have forced teachers into preparing students for standardized tests because how else can we hold teachers accountable. Kids have become slaves to tests created by politicians.

I know I'm just spit-balling here but let's assume the state combines Slippery Rock, Edinboro and Clarion. Putting aside where it would be located, that would be a student body of approximately 18-20K. Is it large enough to compete in FBS? Another instate rival to complement Pitt and Temple.

Don't F'n bet on it. It's pitiful.

To advance this "discussion" a bit further and speaking for myself, I've gotten into spirited political discussions with engineers, scientists, etc... and I can tell you without hesitation my liberal arts education at a state teacher's college has served me well. When a person resorts to name-calling then you know you've won the argument.

True but there still is much value in a liberal arts education. STEM is important but you can not forget the value of a holistic education.

The real problem with the education system is jealousy over teachers. People have painted them as lazy, over paid, evil union employees. We have sacrificed the education of our children in order to hold teacher accountable. Instead of fostering thinking and education development we have forced teachers into preparing students for standardized tests because how else can we hold teachers accountable. Kids have become slaves to tests created by politicians.
I agree with you that it is vitally important for our college graduates to have a "holistic" education but there is no reason why that cannot be done within the framework of STEM majors. We need to go back to where all college students, no matter what the major, had to complete rigorous courses in the liberal arts. These need to be difficult required courses in western history, literature, world history, political science, english and writing. We need well rounded graduates who understand the past and can place themselves within the framework of our civilization. These have to be difficult and challenging courses perhaps 30 credits that are not just "throw away" courses to fulfill a liberal arts requirement.

I agree with you that it is vitally important for our college graduates to have a "holistic" education but there is no reason why that cannot be done within the framework of STEM majors. We need to go back to where all college students, no matter what the major, had to complete rigorous courses in the liberal arts. These need to be difficult required courses in western history, literature, world history, political science, english and writing. We need well rounded graduates who understand the past and can place themselves within the framework of our civilization. These have to be difficult and challenging courses perhaps 30 credits that are not just "throw away" courses to fulfill a liberal arts requirement.

Is it not that way now? When I got my EE degree at PSU in the 80's, 143 credits total were required for graduation. Of these, you had to complete 6 credits each in I think were called a "series" -- one liberal arts series, one language arts, one in social sciences, one in history ..... can't remember if there were more.

I know I'm just spit-balling here but let's assume the state combines Slippery Rock, Edinboro and Clarion. Putting aside where it would be located, that would be a student body of approximately 18-20K. Is it large enough to compete in FBS? Another instate rival to complement Pitt and Temple.

I think it would have to be a multi-campus university. How do you fit 18-20K students on a single campus designed for 7K?

Is it not that way now? When I got my EE degree at PSU in the 80's, 143 credits total were required for graduation. Of these, you had to complete 6 credits each in I think were called a "series" -- one liberal arts series, one language arts, one in social sciences, one in history ..... can't remember if there were more.
Yes there were liberal arts electives, but they gave students far too much freedom to select useless courses. We should require all students to take rigorous liberal arts courses. I was in a STEM major in the 70s and it was the rare student in STEM who purposely challenged themselves with difficult courses to fulfill the liberal arts requirements. We need well rounded college graduates who understand history, western civilization and our political system.

I had not heard that. The state schools are suffering with significant enrollment drops. The only school with a year-over-year increase was West Chester.

The state schools are owned and operated by the State of Pennsylvania, so it would seem to be well within the State's purview to do whatever. Closing any of them is going to be a political bloodbath, regardless of whether or not it may be the correct move to make.

The entire model of a great mass of schools offering residential undergraduate education is up for grabs. The cost structure is simply unsustainable, and if something cannot go on forever, it doesn't.

EDIT - After looking at @fairgambit link above, at least the powers-that-be recognize something has to give. IUP and California will be fine. Slippy Rock, Edinboro and Clarion could easily be rationalized. I would say the same could be considered for Lock Haven and Mansfield. Bloom, Kutztown, Millersville and WCU should be fine, but if I were East Stroudsburg I would be worried.

Most people here know I have my MS from IUP, so I suppose I do have a dog in the fight.

You serious, Clark? It's a small college town surrounded by farmland.
I took the question of "Is Shippensburg safe?" to mean, is it on the list of potential closings. I wouldn't want to start a 4 year degree at a program that might be closing in 2 years. Just saying...

Fall Saturdays just wouldn't be the same without the Slippery Rock football scores being announced. ;)
Are you a Michigan fan? I ask because Michigan always made a big deal out of announcing SRU scores at the Out House.

Are you a Michigan fan? I ask because Michigan always made a big deal out of announcing SRU scores at the Out House.

EPC is probably referring to the Prudential College Football Scoreboard Show from the '70's. They would show scores and some highlights from around the country and usually ended with the Slippery Rock score.

Reactions: EPC FAN
Another school to take recruits away from Pitt.

Though I can understand the historical and emotional aspect of keeping Cheney open that some may have I believe that closing it might actually be an admission of success. Long gone are the days when blacks had so few choices in higher education. That not so simple fact is probably the primary reason for shrinking enrollment. Job well done.

Actually, it was at Michigan that the scores were announced.
In 1979, The Big House hosted a game between Slippery Rock and Shippensburg.

It was a pretty big deal to those two schools.

Speaking of Shippensburg. Is it safe? My son has an interest in that school.

Shippensburg had record enrollment last year. Lots of money spent over the past 5-10 years on campus and in town. It's a pretty positive story at Ship.

Reactions: Diego Badman
On a related note, San Francisco Community College to offer "free" tuition to city residents.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...college-reaches-deal-for-free-tuition-for-all

San Francisco community college to offer free tuition for city residents
By Paulina Firozi - 02/08/17 09:21 AM EST 158

gettyimages-169669247.jpg

© Getty Images
A community college in San Francisco will now offer free tuition to all city residents under a new deal San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee (D) announced this week.

The city has agreed to pay $5.4 million per year to pay for the $46-per-credit free that students usually pay, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

The agreement that will make college education free for residents through the City College of San Francisco is expected to begin in the fall.
Any San Francisco resident who has lived in the city for at least one full year will be eligible for the deal, regardless of income.

“Even the children of the founders of Facebook,” said City supervisor Jane Kim.

The deal will also provide $250 per semester to low-income students who already receive fee waivers from the state, which can be used to pay for books, transportation and other fees. Part-time students who receive state fee waivers will get $100 per semester.

San Francisco residents voted in November to approve a transfer tax on properties selling above $5 million to pay for the deal.

"To California residents who are living in San Francisco, your community college is now free," Lee said, according to the Chronicle.

Load Comments (158)

I am completely offended!! ;)

Not a Michy fan. I just remember when they'd be announced on the old halftime shows (when it was simply scores and highlights and not an announcer who spends the time telling you who passes the "eye test").

Before the PSU athletic department was brainwashed into only announcing other big ten scores, they used to announce other nationwide scores throughout each game (and even show them on the scoreboard :eek:). They would occasionally mention Slippery Rock.

I think it caught on for a little while nationwide after CBS (?) would announce their score on tv which likely accounts for why it became a thing to announce Slippery Rock scores at Michigan, Texas, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: EPC FAN
If Edinboro and Clarion are being considered for closure, what would be the options for kids in NWPA who have reasons for wanting to attend school somewhere which is relatively close to home??

I am guessing you mean going to a PASSHE school, since there is Behrend and Pitt Bradford up there, and of course Slippery Rock is not THAT far away.

Which also kinda points out the issue that you have for many of these schools, and PSU/Pitt branch campuses, you have situations where all these State and State Related campuses are in the same general area, and all competing for a smaller and smaller pool of potential local students.

So in NEPA, you currently have Edinboro, Clarion, Behrend, Pitt Bradford, and many of those are not horribly far away from other campuses of the 3 systems.

So you have 3 different university systems, all to some extent "public" all competing against each other for a dwindling pool of local high school graduates.

I am guessing you mean going to a PASSHE school, since there is Behrend and Pitt Bradford up there, and of course Slippery Rock is not THAT far away.

Which also kinda points out the issue that you have for many of these schools, and PSU/Pitt branch campuses, you have situations where all these State and State Related campuses are in the same general area, and all competing for a smaller and smaller pool of potential local students.

So in NEPA, you currently have Edinboro, Clarion, Behrend, Pitt Bradford, and many of those are not horribly far away from other campuses of the 3 systems.

So you have 3 different university systems, all to some extent "public" all competing against each other for a dwindling pool of local high school graduates.

Also, the Shenango branch in Sharon, and Dubois which is about 30 miles due east of Clarion on I-80. I guess the issue would be housing, as Dubois and Shenango do not have dorms.

The topic of the thread is PASSHE schools so no, I wasn't considering Behrend or UPB. Besides, it's over an hour and a half drive from Erie to both Bradford and Clarion. Even Slippery Rock is over an hour away. My point was I hope the folks in Harrisburg keep convenient higher education options available for the citizens of the fourth largest city in the state. There are people who can't afford to move away for college. Erie is sometimes overlooked because it's not near Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Zenophile
To advance this "discussion" a bit further and speaking for myself, I've gotten into spirited political discussions with engineers, scientists, etc... and I can tell you without hesitation my liberal arts education at a state teacher's college has served me well. When a person resorts to name-calling then you know you've won the argument.

Listening to/watching teenagers struggle with some of the simplest questions on geography is just painful. I used to think the SC beauty queen was an anomaly. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

Reactions: psu00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT