ADVERTISEMENT

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!! Eagles - 49ers game thread

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
@sluggo72 and others, I have to set this up early, and I'm depending on you to carry the thread, as I'm headed to the Linc to watch the Birds.

Go Birds!

Reactions: kgilbert78
@sluggo72 and others, I have to set this up early, and I'm depending on you to carry the thread, as I'm headed to the Linc to watch the Birds.

Go Birds!
Go Birds!! Have to ‘watch’ in on the sports app, too nice outside not to go on the yacht!! Though I need to upgrade the satellite system!!

Let’s go 🦅!
5119524b91f265e15859fe754df1f601_w200.gif

Oh, wish they kicked the field goal. Still 3-0 🦅 about 4:50 left in 2nd qtr.

Frustrating game so far. Had a couple of tough breaks in having the long TD pass overruled (right call) and then not getting any points out of first and goal.

Reactions: sluggo72
And THAT’S why you kick the FG. Despite a dominant half, they are down at halftime.

SF is showing the Eagles how a good team plays. The Eagles aren’t there yet.

Reactions: troutrus
And THAT’S why you kick the FG. Despite a dominant half, they are down at halftime.

SF is showing the Eagles how a good team plays. The Eagles aren’t there yet.

Very frustrating. Fans at the Linc are not pleased. Dominated the 1st half but screwed up too many times on O. Then allowed them to score with 12 sec left in the half. 3-7 at the half.

Very frustrating. Fans at the Linc are not pleased. Dominated the 1st half but screwed up too many times on O. Then allowed them to score with 12 sec left in the half. 3-7 at the half.
Capitalizing with TDs comes as a team gets more experience together. But take the easy points. Being down 1 feels a lot better than needing a TD to retake the lead.

SF definitely showed more poise than the Eagles there.

Reactions: troutrus

Most of the issues first half were coaching. sirianni and JG appear to be very pragmatic and not stuck in their own way of doing business so I’d expect them to get out of their own way in the second half.

Still, considering who they’re playing you can’t help but be impressed with the birds the first half. Hurts has thrown some beautiful balls. D just needs to get some pressure on jimmy G. Been getting close, but horseshoes and hand grenades and whatnot.

That SF conversion on 3rd and 8 could be the difference. SF is a better team. They’re controlling the clock and field position. Brilliant execution.

That was a back breaking TD drive by SF. That’s what a good team does in a tough road game.

The Eagles offense is still a major work in progress. They’ve shown glimpses, but haven’t been consistent enough.

That non-FG may also loom large too.

Reactions: sluggo72
That was a back breaking TD drive by SF. That’s what a good team does in a tough road game.

The Eagles offense is still a major work in progress. They’ve shown glimpses, but haven’t been consistent enough.

That non-FG may also loom large too.
Eagles went against the book going to for two there, a real ballsy call. 17-11 SF leading with 3:58 left. No timeouts left Eagles.

Reactions: WestSideLion
Wentz injured again already so that may screw the Birds on their upcoming draft pick….
He is the gift that keeps on giving

Last edited:
Reactions: WestSideLion
Eagles went against the book going to for two there, a real ballsy call. 17-11 SF leading with 3:58 left. No timeouts left Eagles.
This loss just underlines the fact that this staff and team is very young. Dallas in Primetime next week. Hurts has a lot to prove. Today was very much like last season: a few things to like, but not nearly consistent enough to beat good teams.

Dallas will be a good indicator.

Long day, and a disappointing result. Birds dominated the 1st half, except for the last 2 minutes, yet did not capitalize. Not getting any points when they had 1st and goal from the 1 was a real killer.

2nd half was very frustrating. Not sure if the injuries to Graham and to Brooks were the main reasons, but the Niners seemed to dominate both sides of the ball in the 2nd half. The play calling, particularly the passing game, by the Birds left a lot to be desired. They kept using Smith on fly patterns, and never seemed to try him on crossing patterns, or on underneath routes below Watkins or Reagor. And the TEs were pretty much MIA on the pass offense.

The way the Birds played really took the fans out of the game, especially in the 2nd half. It wasn't until the last 5 minutes or so so that the Linc got back into the game. To put it in perspective, a PSU crowd on their worst day would make more noise than did the Birds fans at today's game.

The replays shown at the game were pretty limited, so it's hard for me to evaluate all the calls that went against the Birds in the game. The OOB call (on the TD that wasn't) was correct. (I've always disliked that rule if the O player is pushed OOB. They didn't cause the mistake, and didn't gain anything by it. Calling it on an O player that intentionally goes OOB makes sense; I just disagree with calling it against those pushed OOB.) Derek Barnett was pretty ineffective as a DE, and then made a really idiotic PF that kept SF's O on the field in the 2nd half. The video of the PF called on the Birds when the Niners fumbled (and the Birds recovered) that was shown at the Linc was impossible to tell what took place, and then the refs mic wasn't working, so the stands were not pleased with that call.

A few nice things from the game

- walking into the stadium, and seeing that free t-shirts had been placed on every seat. (alas, they were all 2XL, which is way bigger than my size)
- I'm usually there for games much later in the season, where everyone is wearing multiple layers and winter jackets. Today, it was sunny and hot, shorts and t-shirts, halters, whatever else women wear as tops, etc. were the norm. The scenery was outstanding. @ericstratton-rushchairman may have been overwhelmed by all the beauties in attendance.

A week and a day to clean things up and get ready for the Cowgirls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT