ADVERTISEMENT

Down to Cotton, Fiesta or Peach....

BUCKSCOUNTYLION

Jun 9, 2001
Orange will take Bama or loser of Auburn/UGA to play loser of Miami/Clemson

If SC beats Stanford....rule out Fiesta since they don't want re-matches if they can help it.

Peach: depends on Wisconsin/OSU...if Wisconsin wins, Peach is likely.

Cotton: if OSU wins and Wisconsin went to Cotton last year, avoid repeat team in bowl.

In that order?

If Stanford knocks off SC, Fiesta for us?

If not, the it depends on Wiscy/OSU?

The Orange is not likely, but it is definitely still in play.

If Wisconsin beats Ohio State, Georgia beats Auburn and TCU beats Oklahoma, then:

(1) The playoff is likely ACC Champ, Wisconsin, Georgia, and a 1-loss Alabama. They'd have to take Alabama - there are no other real viable candidates.

(2) We have all of OSU, Auburn and Notre Dame with 3 losses. I think we'd be ahead of all of them. Even Auburn.

(3) We are then the highest-ranked non-playoff team amongst the SEC, Big Ten and Notre Dame. We go to Miami.

Reactions: Nittanylion930
Orange will take Bama or loser of Auburn/UGA to play loser of Miami/Clemson

If SC beats Stanford....rule out Fiesta since they don't want re-matches if they can help it.

Peach: depends on Wisconsin/OSU...if Wisconsin wins, Peach is likely.

Cotton: if OSU wins and Wisconsin went to Cotton last year, avoid repeat team in bowl.

WHAT if UGA beats auburn by ONE point; Ohio State throws a hail Mary to beat Wisconsin and Stanford beats USC by ONE point - in OT? Then WHAT?

WHAT about ucf?

Lafayette- why was Cal playing UCLA this week instead of Stanford (and USC vs UCLA last week instead of today)?

The expansion of the Pac to twelve teams and two divisions, along with the Pac 12 Conference TV contracts, has really screwed up the scheduling for traditional rivalries. The Big Game has not been Cal's and Stanford's final game for several years, and UCLA-USC is not the LA schools' last game, either. I regret that, just like I regret all of the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night games, but you know the old saying about money talking...

Reactions: FHSPSU67 and BBrown
Committee chooses not the bowl itself.

True but there are rules. Orange is ACC vs highest ranked of ND/SEC/BIG.

The committee has to honor that. Chances are there will be a SEC ranked higher not as n playoffs than PSU so orange now is doubtful though as pointed out not 100% out of picture.

Is there an order of when each bowl picks? Who picks first?
I think it was already posted, the NY6 bowls no longer schedule the matchups as in the past. The committee makes up the pairings. They have to follow bowl tie-ins, but other than that, they are free to make up the pairings. This year the Rose and Sugar are the semi-finals, they are tied into conference champions, but in the years where they host semi-final matchups, that goes out the window.

These teams are going to get into the NY6
Auburn
UGA
OU
Clemson
Miami
OSU
Wisconsin
Pac12 champ
Alabama
Penn State
AAC champ

— Ralph D. Russo (@ralphDrussoAP) November 26, 2017

Let's assume no upsets but Stanford wins P12. Last spot candidates are:
TCU 10-3
Washington 10-2
Notre Dame 9-3
USC 10-3

— Ralph D. Russo (@ralphDrussoAP) November 26, 2017

1. Clemson
  2. Oklahoma
  3. Wisconsin
  4. Auburn
  5. Alabama
  6. Miami
  7. Georgia
  8. O$U
  9. PSU
  • I'm not sure we would move ahead of a 2 loss Clemson so root for them to beat Miami.
  • We wouldn't move ahead of a 1 loss Wisconsin team so root for them to beat O$U.
  • I'm also not sure we would move ahead of a 2 loss Oklahoma team so root for them to beat TCU.
  • I think we move ahead of the Georgia/Auburn loser.
  • USC probably moves ahead of PSU if the beat Stanford so root for Stanford.
Best case scenario is for Miami, O$U, TCU, Georgia, and USC to lose. PSU would finish the regular season ranked 6th. We could finish in the top 5 with a bowl win which is better than last year's 7th place finish. Hopefully we don't lose our bowl game and drop out of the top 10.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I would love nothing more than to take on Wimbush and Notre Dame. How f*g sweet would that be?

Selection committee bowl games

DATE GAME / LOC. TIME / TV MATCHUP PREDICTION
Jan. 1

Peach
Atlanta

12:30 p.m.
ESPN

At-large vs. At-large

Auburn vs. UCF
Dec. 30

Fiesta
Glendale, Ariz.

4 p.m.
ESPN

At-large vs. At-large

USC vs. Ohio State
Dec. 30

Orange
Miami

8 p.m.
ESPN

ACC vs. Big Ten/SEC/ND

Miami vs. Alabama
Dec. 29

Cotton
Arlington, Texas

8:30 p.m.
ESPN

At-large vs. At-large

Penn State vs. Notre Dame

Jerry Palm
CBS Sports Senior Writer

Here are my predictions:
ROSE(Semi-Final): Alabama vs Clemson
SUGAR(Semi-Final): Auburn vs Oklahoma
FIESTA: USC vs Wisconsin
ORANGE: Georgia vs Miami
COTTON: Ohio State vs Washington
PEACH: Penn State vs UCF

Here are my predictions:
ROSE(Semi-Final): Alabama vs Clemson
SUGAR(Semi-Final): Auburn vs Oklahoma
FIESTA: USC vs Wisconsin
ORANGE: Georgia vs Miami
COTTON: Ohio State vs Washington
PEACH: Penn State vs UCF

I think the Big Ten teams would be switched. Ohio State in the Fiesta, Penn State in the Cotton & Wisconsin in the Peach but this is very possible.

I think Bama would kill Miami big time, politics in play plus history might have PSU - Miami in the Orange, and Alabama vs USC in the Fiesta. Georgia vs UCF in the Peach, and Ohio St vs TCU in the Cotton.

WHAT if UGA beats auburn by ONE point; Ohio State throws a hail Mary to beat Wisconsin and Stanford beats USC by ONE point - in OT? Then WHAT?

WHAT about ucf?
Then Heather Dinich gets to pull names from a hat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT