ADVERTISEMENT

Doug Pederson: 'Safe to Say' Foles Will Be in Philly to Begin the Season

anacreon3

Gold Member
It looks like the Philadelphia Eagles are going to head into the 2018 season with a quarterback who was on the verge of winning the NFL MVP award in just his second season and one who was named Super Bowl LII MVP.

Not a bad situation to be in.

On Tuesday, Philadelphia coach Doug Pederson told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio (h/t Adam Schefter) that it's "safe to say" Nick Foles will be an Eagle when next season kicks off.

This latest update comes just days after Pederson revealed that while the team listened to offers on Foles, "nothing too crazy" was thrown out there. Every team that had a hole at quarterback entering free agency has addressed it in some way since the new league year began two weeks ago.

Any team interested in the passer may be proceeding with caution. When Carson Wentz went down with an injury, Foles stepped in and completed just 56.4 percent of his passes while throwing for 537 yards and five touchdowns in seven regular-season games.

On the other hand, he had an incredible postseason as he led Philadelphia to its first Super Bowl victory. He completed 72.6 percent of his passes for 971 yards and six touchdowns in three playoff games, including a 373-yard, three-touchdown performance in Super Bowl LII.

The Eagles don't have to force a Foles trade if the right deal isn't out there. With Wentz rehabbing a torn ACL, the team needs a reliable backup—and it just so happens to currently have the reigning Super Bowl MVP for a base salary of $4 million in 2018, per Spotrac. That's not bad insurance to have.

It's only March, so there's still a lot that can happen between now and Week 1.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-foles-will-be-on-eagles-to-start-next-season

It looks like the Philadelphia Eagles are going to head into the 2018 season with a quarterback who was on the verge of winning the NFL MVP award in just his second season and one who was named Super Bowl LII MVP.

Not a bad situation to be in.

On Tuesday, Philadelphia coach Doug Pederson told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio (h/t Adam Schefter) that it's "safe to say" Nick Foles will be an Eagle when next season kicks off.

This latest update comes just days after Pederson revealed that while the team listened to offers on Foles, "nothing too crazy" was thrown out there. Every team that had a hole at quarterback entering free agency has addressed it in some way since the new league year began two weeks ago.

Any team interested in the passer may be proceeding with caution. When Carson Wentz went down with an injury, Foles stepped in and completed just 56.4 percent of his passes while throwing for 537 yards and five touchdowns in seven regular-season games.

On the other hand, he had an incredible postseason as he led Philadelphia to its first Super Bowl victory. He completed 72.6 percent of his passes for 971 yards and six touchdowns in three playoff games, including a 373-yard, three-touchdown performance in Super Bowl LII.

The Eagles don't have to force a Foles trade if the right deal isn't out there. With Wentz rehabbing a torn ACL, the team needs a reliable backup—and it just so happens to currently have the reigning Super Bowl MVP for a base salary of $4 million in 2018, per Spotrac. That's not bad insurance to have.

It's only March, so there's still a lot that can happen between now and Week 1.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-foles-will-be-on-eagles-to-start-next-season
when Foles step in, was Wiz playing?

damn, is that the only tune you can play on that fiddle? :D
Well there is a reason, go back and watch the tapes. When Wiz was out, it was about the time Foles came in and did not do very well. Why? because Porkchop and the other slugs couldn't block that side of the line, let alone be able to tell Big V what to do. When did Foles come back? the playoffs. When did Wiz come back? the playoffs. When did Foles play better? The playoffs. Why? because all of a sudden he had time he didn't have when when Wiz was out. It is all on the tapes. Go to NFL.com and for like $50 you can get every game by every team, TV tape, or coaches tapes (sideline and end zone view) and you can see how much better the Eagles OL played with Wiz in there and than without.
And that is the reason Foles played so well in the playoffs and maybe not as well in the regular season.
Wiz being a PSU guy is just icing on the cake.

sluggo, you think you're telling me something I don't know (that Wiz is the best left OG the Birds have)? I barely missed a minute of their games this past season, and watch the line play as best as the TV coverage allows.

Wiz was injured in early Dec. His being back in the lineup in the playoffs did help the team. As for Foles playing better, it did somewhat coincide with Wiz's return, but there were a few other factors in play, including the Birds having the bye, which allowed the coaches to refine the gameplans to his strengths, and him getting a lot more reps with the first team.

I had a smiley face at the end of my post -- I was mostly just busting on you.

s there were a few other factors in play, including the Birds having the bye, which allowed the coaches to refine the gameplans to his strengths, and him getting a lot more reps with the first team..
Ding ding. Also, remember that Foles sat out training camp. Once the season started, he wasn't going to be working with the 1's very much.

sluggo, you think you're telling me something I don't know (that Wiz is the best left OG the Birds have)? I barely missed a minute of their games this past season, and watch the line play as best as the TV coverage allows.

Wiz was injured in early Dec. His being back in the lineup in the playoffs did help the team. As for Foles playing better, it did somewhat coincide with Wiz's return, but there were a few other factors in play, including the Birds having the bye, which allowed the coaches to refine the gameplans to his strengths, and him getting a lot more reps with the first team.

I had a smiley face at the end of my post -- I was mostly just busting on you.
It's hard to see the smiley face on the phone. I just wanted to explain my Wiz posts though the season. To that end, the refining the game plan for Foles etc etc is imo all noise. Foles played better because he had time to throw and the they could run the ball better On tape it's almost night and day
Now we can go and see how much inside LBer Malcomb Jenkins played in the Super Bowl. Which is a lot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT