ADVERTISEMENT

Donovan's job should not be secure

LionwiththeDevil

Jul 1, 2008
Nobody can say that our offense looks prepared. I get that the oline has been terrible but show me what the guy has crafted to offset it? We can't even execute they a quick slant or other quick plays to make the defense pay for blitzes. Texas just announced after game 1 of the season that they've demoted their offensive coordinator, Watson. The guy had been at UT as long as Donovan has been here. That's one game too long for a non producer like Donovan. In the private sector this guy would have been toast long ago.

What makes you think his job is secure. Surely you don't think that now is the time for change?

What makes you think his job is secure. Surely you don't think that now is the time for change?

If he cannot come up with a game plan, why wait? Not following that line of logic, which I will acknowledge that others share with you.

I mean, if he doesn't plan on doing the work of an offensive coordinator on a week in and week out basis, how would it possibly matter whether we rid ourselves of him now rather than later?

If he cannot come up with a game plan, why wait? Not following that line of logic, which I will acknowledge that others share with you.

I mean, if he doesn't plan on doing the work of an offensive coordinator on a week in and week out basis, how would it possibly matter whether we rid ourselves of him now rather than later?
He will not be fired during season. Just doesn't work that way in college, especially at PSU. My guess is he will get more "input" from other coaches including Franklin. After the season there is a chance Franklin will make a change.

He will not be fired during season. Just doesn't work that way in college, especially at PSU. My guess is he will get more "input" from other coaches including Franklin. After the season there is a chance Franklin will make a change.

Wouldn't even be the first time this week.

Nobody can say that our offense looks prepared. I get that the oline has been terrible but show me what the guy has crafted to offset it? We can't even execute they a quick slant or other quick plays to make the defense pay for blitzes. Texas just announced after game 1 of the season that they've demoted their offensive coordinator, Watson. The guy had been at UT as long as Donovan has been here. That's one game too long for a non producer like Donovan. In the private sector this guy would have been toast long ago.

"A quick slant" right on! With the big bodies we have, Godwin, Johnson, Blacknall, this play should be a slam dunk. Once anyone of these guys turns inside, they will totally block out the defender. We should be running slants more than flat passes and bubble screens. I didn't see one slant in the Temple game and was screaming for one while watching.

What's make you think he's not putting in the work? I would think that Haslett would be able to give he and Franklin some advice and direction. Isn't that his responsibility? The last thing I want to see is an in-season offensive change in philosophy. The confusion would be as damaging to the W/L record.

Donovan was Offensive Coordinator and Running Back's coach at Vandy for three years (Vandy's best in a long while) and has 18 years experience as a football coach. I doubt Franklin would have brought him to PSU if he wasn't putting in the work.

What's make you think he's not putting in the work? I would think that Haslett would be able to give he and Franklin some advice and direction. Isn't that his responsibility? The last thing I want to see is an in-season offensive change in philosophy. The confusion would be as damaging to the W/L record.

Donovan was Offensive Coordinator and Running Back's coach at Vandy for three years (Vandy's best in a long while) and has 18 years experience as a football coach. I doubt Franklin would have brought him to PSU if he wasn't putting in the work.

I am only in the stands. Seems like people who have been closer to the program have their doubts, does it not?

I am only in the stands. Seems like people who have been closer to the program have their doubts, does it not?
Sure, lots of people have doubts and I'm not trying say I don't have doubts. Do I think he cannot get the job done, no. Is it possible he can't get it done, yes. I just don't believe we need to make drastic changes right now.

My statements are not at you, they are statements about the idea of changing OCs right now. Maybe after the season. I know you are impatient. I am impatient. We are not use to this kind of performance. I'm merely stating that changes of the OC right now would likely be confusing and result in as bad a season as the current brain trust. I think that we will be better off this season by sticking with Donovan, given his success at Vandy, and allowing Haslett to provide some help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT