ADVERTISEMENT

Does the RPO change the way we block?

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
Question is whether the OL reacts, same as the WB and RB, or do they have set assignments to pass block or run block based on the play call? I was just wondering if they were more tentative not knowing how the reads of the QB will go, and what the ultimate play will be based on those reads. I keep reading about finesse vs power offense and trying to understand how all the pieces fit. Thanks

Reactions: Minerva1903
Question is whether the OL reacts, same as the WB and RB, or do they have set assignments to pass block or run block based on the play call? I was just wondering if they were more tentative not knowing how the reads of the QB will go, and what the ultimate play will be based on those reads. I keep reading about finesse vs power offense and trying to understand how all the pieces fit. Thanks
the OL blocks the play called, they wont know if it is a pass until after the play. In the Callahan (sp?) link, go down to the gif where it shows an RPO with a pass being blocked by a defender, , watch the OL, they are blocking run all the way.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
the OL blocks the play called, they wont know if it is a pass until after the play. In the Callahan (sp?) link, go down to the gif where it shows an RPO with a pass being blocked by a defender, , watch the OL, they are blocking run all the way.

Are your implying in your statement that the OL can run block (tic). I would assume that the RPO optimum decision point would be based on all the the QB sees in front of him including how the OL is executing their assigned block. There would be no way for the OL to know the decision until it happened. Some blocking techniques are not 100% run or pass in any event. You can drive block on a run or a pass and trap on a run or a pass. You can grab the shirt of the D-players under the shoulder pads if allowed (a favorite in the B1G) and that works for a run or a pass... etc etc.

Are your implying in your statement that the OL can run block (tic). I would assume that the RPO optimum decision point would be based on all the the QB sees in front of him including how the OL is executing their assigned block. There would be now way for the OL to know the decision until it happened. Some blocking techniques are not 100% run or pass in any event. You can drive block on a run or a pass and trap on a run or a pass. You can grab the shirt of the D-players under the shoulder pads if allowed (a favorite in the B1G) and that works for a run or a pass... etc etc.
I am saying they block the play called ( almost said huddle call), so if they are to pull, they pull, if they are to trap, they trap etc. Go watch the spring game from 2016 when all of this was first installed, you will #59 pulling around and up into a hole, while the QB pulls the ball from the RB, and throws a strike for a TD.

Reactions: pittdan77
Not sure. Maybe it changes the way we don't block.

Reactions: Creek Side
No it doesn’t change how the OL blocks.

If the numbers are favorable for a screen out wide you throw. If the defense is defending the pass you run. Being in shotgun allows the OL execute one call regardless of a change.

If you have a group of WRs that blocks well you can pickup huge chunks.

Then where the hell’s SB supposed to run if it’s an RPO run option besides into three defenders?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT