ADVERTISEMENT

Doc Holiday out at Marshall

My nephew will be a freshman at Marshall in September so I've been paying attention to Herd sports. Doc has been VERY successful and is a dyed-in-the-wool West Virginian. He's only 63 so he has plenty of tread left on the tires.

Governor Jim Justice is a Marshall grad, but it's a bad look. One would think he has more important things to do than get involved with football coaches - especially when they are big winners.

Reactions: fairgambit
I thought he was doing a good job there. Any insight?

From the article:

"I want to thank Doc Holliday for the leadership he has provided this program over the past 11 seasons," Marshall athletic director Mike Hamrick said. "In addition to his success on the field, he ran a clean program, graduated his student-athletes and prepared young men for life after football."

Good thing they got rid of him.

From the article:

"I want to thank Doc Holliday for the leadership he has provided this program over the past 11 seasons," Marshall athletic director Mike Hamrick said. "In addition to his success on the field, he ran a clean program, graduated his student-athletes and prepared young men for life after football."

The rest of the quote was, “Unfortunately he coaches in the NCAA and we’ll be having none of that. We will immediately start our search for a coach with a record of public lewdness and access to charitable bagmen.”

Last edited:
From the article:

Yeah, they gotta stop that sh!t

I was listening to a statewide West Virginia sports radio show (which focuses on WVU) on the way home from work this evening. They were discussing the Marshall coaching situation. One of the two names one of the talking heads claims as a candidate for the next head coach is Ju'Juan Seider. Apparently he has connections to Marshall.

I thought that was interesting. I have no idea if Marshall has any interest in Coach Seider at all or vice versa.

From the article:

Graduated his players....that’s humorous.

I was listening to a statewide West Virginia sports radio show (which focuses on WVU) on the way home from work this evening. They were discussing the Marshall coaching situation. One of the two names one of the talking heads claims as a candidate for the next head coach is Ju'Juan Seider. Apparently he has connections to Marshall.

I thought that was interesting. I have no idea if Marshall has any interest in Coach Seider at all or vice versa.
West Virginia alum, coached at Marshall for 3 years, and had two stints coaching at WVU.

Paging @sluggo72. Wtf? As a Huntington resident, what's your take?
Well the boyz on the message boards many of the boosters, many of the people ‘in the know’ loved to hate Doc!! Let’s see, biggest sin he’s a WVU guy. In 2009? They were playing here, we had them down 22-6? (MU was up 16 for sure) with like 9 min to go. MU driving for another score , they were in FG range. Pretty sure PSU current RB coach subbed in a true freshman at RB (Tron Martinz. Look him up nice rap sheet). The kid fumbled ,WVU drives the ball scores TD goes for 2 gets it. MU still up 8. Some think Doc took the gas off and tried to play Don Nehlan ball and win. MU goes 3 and out WVU drives the field scores goes for 2 ties the game. OT. WVU WINS. Many feel if Doc had kept the peddle to the metal MU would have won. Basically because of that game he couldn’t do anything right, ever.
are you kidding me? 1 championship in 11 years? Terrible they say we deserve 3 in 5 yrs!! We play in the worse conference, we should be better. We use to play for championships with Doc we play for second place!! Etc etc etc blah blah not exciting offense etc etc. if he had won his that WVU game everything would have been different

now what is real interesting is the Governor’s relationship with the D’Antonis
Mike D’Antoni of NBA coaching fame is an MU grad. A few years back we had an open basketball job. Bob Marcum was the AD, but he didn’t offer the job to Mike ( I think he was coaching the Lakers at the time) even though he wasn’t ever going to come here. They fired Marcum over that. They hired Mike Hambrick a former FB player who was AD several places. He interviewed Mike for the job, Mike turned him down but recommended his older brother Dan who was never a college HC before, but he was an up and comer at age 67? We’ve done okay in hoops. They love Dan and hate Doc
Supposedly the D’Antoni are working behind the scenes to get Hamrick fired as well. All Hamrick has done as AD is raise money, improved the facilities, and scheduled pretty well OOC. ( we were supposed to play Boise and Pitt here in Huntington before COVID hit)

so there you go MU Deserves better than Doc

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Please don’t disturb him- he’s writing a thesis to Jeffrey Lurie about why the Eagles should hire Doc
No I am happy with Doug In fact go back and look, I called Doug hire before he was ever mentioned by the press

Parker would take that job in a second. He loves staying around for 1 year.

My nephew will be a freshman at Marshall in September so I've been paying attention to Herd sports. Doc has been VERY successful and is a dyed-in-the-wool West Virginian. He's only 63 so he has plenty of tread left on the tires.

Governor Jim Justice is a Marshall grad, but it's a bad look. One would think he has more important things to do than get involved with football coaches - especially when they are big winners.
Hey Big Jim can do it all Run his coal mines, run his farms in SC, run the Greenbrier, coach girls basketball and oh yea be Governor!!!! Btw tell your nephew spot 357 for tailgates!!! He’s invited

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Hey Big Jim can do it all Run his coal mines, run his farms in SC, run the Greenbrier, coach girls basketball and oh yea be Governor!!!! Btw tell your nephew spot 357 for tailgates!!! He’s invited
He's a champ, our Gov. Right up until Tax day.

I thought it was health related - He is a Lunger (has TB) and needed to go somewhere with dryer weather - That's what Kurt Russell told me anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: YeOldeCup
I read that as the Governor is also a major donor, but could be wrong.
I m sure you read that. But I think Big Jim likes to act like a major donor, the problem is, he seldom writes the check. What’s that line ? Over promise and under deliver

• Haha
Reactions: BBrown
I read a number of articles on this topic. Seems the Governor wanted him replaced in 2017. Not sure why. It appears with the three best members leaving for the AAC, the conference has suffered significantly, especially with their TV deal. The Gov and some are disappointed in the conference, and now look at how the Sunbelt Conference is really taking off.

In looking at responses to articles, 80+% support Holiday and the rest are in some dream world talking about playing in bigger bowls or a new conference. With that being said, no one has mentioned a specific reason that Holiday was not retained.

I read a number of articles on this topic. Seems the Governor wanted him replaced in 2017. Not sure why. It appears with the three best members leaving for the AAC, the conference has suffered significantly, especially with their TV deal. The Gov and some are disappointed in the conference, and now look at how the Sunbelt Conference is really taking off.

In looking at responses to articles, 80+% support Holiday and the rest are in some dream world talking about playing in bigger bowls or a new conference. With that being said, no one has mentioned a specific reason that Holiday was not retained.
Thought I explained it. 1 championship in 11 yrs. Marshall deserves better. So they say

Thought I explained it. 1 championship in 11 yrs. Marshall deserves better. So they say
Let’s face it, Marshall fans expected to have as much success in Conference USA as they did in the MAC, just like WVU thought they would be as successful in the Big 12 as they were in the Big East. Fans don’t seem to realize success doesn’t always transfer when you go to a different (and tougher) conference.

Reactions: sluggo72
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT