ADVERTISEMENT

Do the Flyers get in?

Little J

Sep 17, 2001
2 games left for the Flyers - 1 for B's and RW's

If the Bruins and Red Wings win on Saturday the Fly-guys have to win a pair and the Pens could knock them out. A tie with the B's or the RW's won't do it as the Fly-guys are behind both in ROW's. Pens have the Flyers number of late and are red hot.

Bruins or RW lose Flyers still need a win or two OT losses in their remaining 2 games to get in. One point won't do it.

It's a mad rush to the finish. The Saturday game Vs the Pens should be "special".
Prediction - Flyers burn out and golf next week.

Reactions: TheGLOV
As a Penguin fan, I'd rather the Flyers make it over the Bruins or Red Wings. Personally I'd sit the top two lines and Letang. If Fleury is healthy, maybe let him play to just to tune up. No need risking an injury.

Reactions: Corabi94

If the Bruins and Red Wings win on Saturday the Fly-guys have to win a pair and the Pens could knock them out. A tie with the B's or the RW's won't do it as the Fly-guys are behind both in ROW's. Pens have the Flyers number of late and are red hot.

Bruins or RW lose Flyers still need a win or two OT losses in their remaining 2 games to get in. One point won't do it.

It's a mad rush to the finish. The Saturday game Vs the Pens should be "special".
Preseason prediction was they won't make the playoffs. Nobody except the biggest homers saw them getting close. If they make it, they will have earned it. I think they fall short. Still, a better season than predicted, and they have serious help coming. I like what Ron Hextall is doing.

Preseason prediction was they won't make the playoffs. Nobody except the biggest homers saw them getting close. If they make it, they will have earned it. I think they fall short. Still, a better season than predicted, and they have serious help coming. I like what Ron Hextall is doing.

I don't think the 76ers (oops, Flyers) make it YET AGAIN !!!! The franchise is a mess.

Yes, they'll make it. Of course, I have been wrong on 37 straight sports predictions, but I'm due.:)

Reactions: bmw199
The game is meaningless to the Penquins. Hope they call up about ten goons and just beat the crap out of those goons the whole game. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

I don't think the 76ers (oops, Flyers) make it YET AGAIN !!!! The franchise is a mess.
They're far ahead of what anyone expected them to be this year. Next year is really the first year they were supposed to compete - now they look the part of potential East contenders in 2016-17.

Reactions: EPC FAN
Darius Kasparitis!!! What an upstanding, clean player he was for many years with the Angelic Pens. :)

The game is meaningless to the Penquins. Hope they call up about ten goons and just beat the crap out of those goons the whole game. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

Maybe the Pens can call these guys up.

12823242639419.jpg

Flyers have a plan, I have no idea what the 76ers plan is other than tank and get picks. Have you seen the Phantoms play?

Flyers franchise is absolutely NOT a mess. Hextall has been awesome and the team is set to compete for years to come.
Agree. The Flyers are probably the most stable organization in Philly right now. They have great prospects coming up in the next few years and Hextall seems to be way better than the past few GMs.

Reactions: EPC FAN and cment
Pens are on borrowed time. Flyers defense will be much improved over next 2 years. Gostbehere is just the first. Win now because the cupboard will be bare very soon. Hey, maybe they'll threaten to move the team again and get a free lunch off the taxpayers again.

Reactions: EPC FAN
Here is the irony. Mike Sullivan is former HC of the Bs. When lockout ended 10+ years ago he was screwed over by then new Bs GM by being left in limbo while other jobs filled up, finally let go late in off season. Mike is a close friend of my brother and believe me he was not happy about how he was treated. Now on Saturday if Bs win (puck drops 2.5 hrs before pens/flyers) a pens win by a mike Sullivan coached team gets the Bs into playoffs.

Flyers have a plan, I have no idea what the 76ers plan is other than tank and get picks. Have you seen the Phantoms play?
Given that they just essentially fired their GM with "the plan", who knows what the Sixers will do. Except lose.

I think the Flyers get "In" while the Red Wings are left "Out" for the first time in 20+ years.

They'll make it: The final game is against the Islanders, who will be throwing the game to avoid the Penguins in the first round.

Agree. The Flyers are probably the most stable organization in Philly right now. They have great prospects coming up in the next few years and Hextall seems to be way better than the past few GMs.

That makes my point, the parade of GMs. We shall see.

Doesn't really matter if they get in or not. They suck this year. Next year's roster should look alot different, I hope. Simmonds/Streit need to be moved.

Simmons might be their best player. Gives 100% every shift. They need more players like him. Btw - I don't think they get in. The team looks tired.

Nope. Went the tough get going, they don't have enough of those players.

Simmons might be their best player. Gives 100% every shift. They need more players like him. Btw - I don't think they get in. The team looks tired.

Simmonds is good around the crease, and fisticuffs if your'e into that sort of thing. He does very little forechecking, when that should be his biggest strength. I believe Simmonds is terrible at everything else.

The Islanders will fold like a cheese omelette on Sunday.

As long as the Bruins don't get two points on Saturday, you are in.

Pens are on borrowed time. Flyers defense will be much improved over next 2 years. Gostbehere is just the first. Win now because the cupboard will be bare very soon. Hey, maybe they'll threaten to move the team again and get a free lunch off the taxpayers again.

Flyers are building the right way, but hate to break it to you that the Pens aren't going anywhere anytime soon. The core of this team is still locked up for a while and in their prime, all 28 or younger.... and the most underrated thing Rutherford has done is give the Pens prospects more time with the big club. There's speed up and down the lineup and in the prospect pool.

Ghost is a special talent but also way ahead of where they other Flyers D prospects are right now and you can't reasonably build your blueline around a corps under the age of 25. It's the hardest position to develop for a reason.

I don't agree that Philly is ahead of schedule. When you look at their roster compared to the other teams in the 7-10 slots in the East, they're as talented, if not more talented then the others...and I think any Caps fan with a brain fears them more than the Wings and B's right now.

I do think they get in. Pens and Isles will both be resting key parts this weekend and either B's or Wings will drop one.

Last edited:
Simmonds is good around the crease, and fisticuffs if your'e into that sort of thing. He does very little forechecking, when that should be his biggest strength. I believe Simmonds is terrible at everything else.
Simmonds is on a very, very reasonable contract for the value he brings - and his value comes in a few different ways. He drives play forward (+3.7 Corsi Relative to his teammates at 5 on 5) even though he gets a majority of his even strength starts in the defensive zone. He's a positive possession player who also scores you around 30 goals and 60 points, all for under $4M until 2020. The Flyers would need an absolutely monstrous return for a Simmonds trade to make sense - and even then, I'm not sure if you pull the trigger.

Simmonds is on a very, very reasonable contract for the value he brings - and his value comes in a few different ways. He drives play forward (+3.7 Corsi Relative to his teammates at 5 on 5) even though he gets a majority of his even strength starts in the defensive zone. He's a positive possession player who also scores you around 30 goals and 60 points, all for under $4M until 2020. The Flyers would need an absolutely monstrous return for a Simmonds trade to make sense - and even then, I'm not sure if you pull the trigger.

No argument on his salary. That probably will keep Hextall from trading him. I dont think Simmonds is a 1st line type forward.

No argument on his salary. That probably will keep Hextall from trading him. I dont think Simmonds is a 1st line type forward.
Fair enough. Over the past three years, the metrics have him as a very solid second line forward: http://public.tableau.com/shared/KRT69GG22?:display_count=yes

But, his metrics have been steadily improving every year, and on a team with a bit more forward depth he would fit very nicely as a 2nd line forward and on the first power play unit, and his salary is reasonable for that role. I've been very encouraged with Schenn's development this year, and I wouldn't mind at all if they re-sign him with the impression that he finally starts to consistently play like the first liner that he was projected to be - he's still young. Schenn/Giroux/Voracek, Konecny (or Raffl or Read)/Couturier/Simmonds is a very productive top-6. Add in Cousins and Laughton (who I think took a step back this year) and you actually start to have some nice depth at forward to go along with your progressing defensive corps, and most of those forward spots are locked up for the next 5 or so years.

Reactions: paradox1984

Fly guys are going to make it IMO.

Flyers are building the right way, but hate to break it to you that the Pens aren't going anywhere anytime soon. The core of this team is still locked up for a while and in their prime, all 28 or younger.... and the most underrated thing Rutherford has done is give the Pens prospects more time with the big club. There's speed up and down the lineup and in the prospect pool.

Ghost is a special talent but also way ahead of where they other Flyers D prospects are right now and you can't reasonably build your blueline around a corps under the age of 25. It's the hardest position to develop for a reason.

I don't agree that Philly is ahead of schedule. When you look at their roster compared to the other teams in the 7-10 slots in the East, they're as talented, if not more talented then the others...and I think any Caps fan with a brain fears them more than the Wings and B's right now.

I do think they get in. Pens and Isles will both be resting key parts this weekend and either B's or Wings will drop one.

I can't believe you said this: but hate to break it to you that the Pens aren't going anywhere anytime soon

The Pens are going to make you eat your words sir. One of the hottest teams heading into the playoffs and you say that?

What happened to you? Good Lord!!!

GEESH!

I can't believe you said this: but hate to break it to you that the Pens aren't going anywhere anytime soon

The Pens are going to make you eat your words sir. One of the hottest teams heading into the playoffs and you say that?

What happened to you? Good Lord!!!

GEESH!

Glov, I think you're misreading that - it's a response to the notion the Pens are "on borrowed time", not a declaration they're destined to fail. On the contrary, I think this team is more set up to succeed in the post season than any group they've had since the 90s, and that includes the Cup winning team of '09.

The only concern I have for them is the PP since those will be at a premium in the post season, but Sullivan has put a system in place that maximizes the talent on hand better than any coach since the Badger.

This doesn't guarantee anything, of course. Murray could have to play the first series and that's going to be a wildcard. Based on matches, few teams can skate with the Pens for 60 minutes and that's a big deal over 7 game series.

Reactions: TheGLOV
QUOTE="Raffycorn, post: 1663749, member: 9262"]Fair enough. Over the past three years, the metrics have him as a very solid second line forward: http://public.tableau.com/shared/KRT69GG22?:display_count=yes

But, his metrics have been steadily improving every year, and on a team with a bit more forward depth he would fit very nicely as a 2nd line forward and on the first power play unit, and his salary is reasonable for that role. I've been very encouraged with Schenn's development this year, and I wouldn't mind at all if they re-sign him with the impression that he finally starts to consistently play like the first liner that he was projected to be - he's still young. Schenn/Giroux/Voracek, Konecny (or Raffl or Read)/Couturier/Simmonds is a very productive top-6. Add in Cousins and Laughton (who I think took a step back this year) and you actually start to have some nice depth at forward to go along with your progressing defensive corps, and most of those forward spots are locked up for the next 5 or so years.[/QUOTE]
You're arguing with facts. He don't need no facts.

Glov, I think you're misreading that - it's a response to the notion the Pens are "on borrowed time", not a declaration they're destined to fail. On the contrary, I think this team is more set up to succeed in the post season than any group they've had since the 90s, and that includes the Cup winning team of '09.

The only concern I have for them is the PP since those will be at a premium in the post season, but Sullivan has put a system in place that maximizes the talent on hand better than any coach since the Badger.

This doesn't guarantee anything, of course. Murray could have to play the first series and that's going to be a wildcard. Based on matches, few teams can skate with the Pens for 60 minutes and that's a big deal over 7 game series.
The Penguins are the prohibitive favorites in the East at this point. They're playing the best hockey in the conference over the last third of the season.

Lol.

You think the Pens are on borrowed time? Lol

Phew my good friend! (Wiping brow & forehead of sweat!)

For a minute there, I thought one of the most knowledgeable hockey posters had lost his mind!

:):):):):):)

I told you! I told you all!

:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT