ADVERTISEMENT

Do Penn State fans have Big Ten pride?

the Howler

Oct 17, 2001
Iowa fan here. A few days ago I had a house full of Hawk fans cheering like mad dogs for Penn State in the Fiesta Bowl. It was weird to be rooting so hard for another team, yet we all love seeing the conference do well in the postseason. We even toasted each other when you guys ran out the clock on Washington to secure the victory.

Congrats on a great season in Happy Valley.

Most don't, because they think the B1G hates us, the B1G refs hate us, other B1G schools hate us...

That’s why I asked. Always got the feeling PSU fans would rather be playing teams like Syracuse, Rutgers or Pitt out in your neck of the woods.

Reactions: Gnat91
The short answer is no. A few like the conference record to brag for a few days in early January but they are in the minority. I think most Penn State fans are in the ambivalent to anti category toward the big ten conference as a whole.

That’s why I asked. Always got the feeling PSU fans would rather be playing teams like Syracuse, Rutgers or Pitt out in your neck of the woods.
I don't know that Penn State fans would rather play the teams you mentioned, but walk a mile in a Penn State's fans shoes.
Yes, there have been questionable calls made against our team throughout the years. I personally feel it is more poor officiating then bias.
I believe the sanctions and treatment the of Penn State during a non-football issue are well documented. No reason to rehash this. But, again, have your team walk through the issues our program has over the last 5 years - oh, don't forget millions taken away from bowl money the B1G piled on the program - and tell me honestly, you would not be bitter.
One last thing; watch what has happened at MSU and the lack of action taken against them.
Yeah, I don't care if they win or lose.
I will say, I like Kirk Ferentz, have heard him speak at clinics and he seems like a good guy.

OL

It's not that they'd rather be playing those teams (although some use the close road trips as an excuse), but they feel slighted that the conference doesn't give us the proper respect, but bow down to OSU and Michigan.

If they would give us back the money they stole from us, I might have Big Ten pride. I don't much like whoever it was that broke into my son's apartment and stole a bunch of his stuff, so that's kind of how I feel about the Big Ten.

Kick Delany's ass out, put the BullShit two in a bag with rocks and throw them overboard. Then, I am all in for the B10. I sat and watched Bill Mallory and his IU team get their brains screwed in the Big Shit House in what was called the phantom calls game by non other than the editor of the Detroit Free press, Mr Ford, a terrific and an honorable UM grad. Many of my UM hosts walked out of the game in disgust which tells you all you need to know about the 20 or so bullshit calls that were conjured up to save UMs W-L record that year. Loved the B10 up till then and this was long before PSU became a part of it.

Happy the league is likely to end undefeated in bowl games. But the rest of the B1G deserve better than the lame leadership it continues to have.

Last edited:
Iowa fan here. A few days ago I had a house full of Hawk fans cheering like mad dogs for Penn State in the Fiesta Bowl. It was weird to be rooting so hard for another team, yet we all love seeing the conference do well in the postseason. We even toasted each other when you guys ran out the clock on Washington to secure the victory.

giphy.gif

To each his own, I guess.

I’ll still cheer on PSU and the rest of the Big Ten in the postseason. As an impartial viewer over the last two decades, I personally think reffing bias is a huge fairytale.

It's not that they'd rather be playing those teams (although some use the close road trips as an excuse), but they feel slighted that the conference doesn't give us the proper respect, but bow down to OSU and Michigan.

lol. MSU and Wisconsin fans feel exactly the same.

I despise the BigTen and every other team in it. My reasons have been stated here many times and I won't belabor them now. Let me just say that, to the extent that I care about college sports, which these days is very little, I hope that every other BigTen team loses every game out of conference, in every sport, from now until the end of time. F the BigTen.

If you feel the officiating is not biased you don't attend many games.
Bad calls at critical moments are the hallmark of big ten crews. Never against osu. Or Mich.
Remember the famous quote your lucky to be playing.
The conference piled on during the darkest moment in program history.
No action on msu for its scandals.

I'm indifferent toward most of the conference, and actively root against Michigan

The B1G as an entity has f**ked PSU over and clearly has a huge boner for O$U and UMich. So, no loyalty to the B1G. Many of us do, however, respect certain programs, fan bases, and coaching staffs, and Kirk Ferentz is a class act.

I've never understood conference allegiance really. The other teams in your conference are competition, obstacles in your path to win a National Championship. To me the only folks that cheer for teams in their conference are people whose own team isn't very good. The other thing in play is our history as an Independent, so for the older fans the answer is probably different than younger fans.

All that said, the b1g has and still does things that make it really hard for any premier program not named OSU or Michigan to like the conference. Ask Nebraska fans, you will probably get a similar answer is my guess.

I only care about the conference as long as PSU is in it. I think a lot of Big Ten people didn’t want PSU because we represented a change in the status quo. The Sandusky scandal stirred up the PSU resentment again. The additional punishments meted out by the BIG were feel good PR. If PSU were to leave or the conference identity drastically changed, I would not care.

Penn State was considered a second-class citizen right from the beginning -- having to wait two years to compete in the conference. B-10 athletic directors were mostly against PSU joining. It was a majority of college presidents who voted the Lions in.

My B1G pride went out the window when the conference decided to pile on the sanctions and steal from our university. That, followed by the endless “Ped” State jokes from the fans of our conference brethren, some of the worst coming from Iowa. I would rather see every B1G team lose, except for PSU, every bowl game for the rest of time. It would indeed be sweet, sweet karma.

We did the same thing for the Iowa game!!!!

Reactions: FHSPSU67
I've never understood conference allegiance really. The other teams in your conference are competition, obstacles in your path to win a National Championship. To me the only folks that cheer for teams in their conference are people whose own team isn't very good
Apparently you've never paid attention to SEC teams. Including the good ones.

Reactions: GTACSA
We were not welcomed when we joined the conference.....the conference joined the NCAA in piling on the Sandusky criminal matter, which had nothing to do with student-athletic competition.....the conference has continued to treat Penn State as a leper colony since Sandusky.....Delany has disrespected PSU repeatedly.

Over 20 years in The Big 10(14).....we’re still a second class member. Rodney Dangerfield got more respect than PSU ever has from this conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT