ADVERTISEMENT

Did a true freshman ever lead PSU in

This may be a topic for an entirely new thread, but I don’t consider Arrington to have been as good as Conlan or Posluszny, amongst others. Again, a great linebacker but not flawless.

This may be a topic for an entirely new thread, but I don’t consider Arrington to have been as good as Conlan or Posluszny, amongst others. Again, a great linebacker but not flawless.
I agree with you about Conlan, but not so sure about Posluszny. And who knows how good Arrington would have been if he had come back as a senior . . .

Well done coaches too. This guy never played LBer in high school so he had to learn it all.

You contrast this to Arrington who never really learned how to play LBer at PSU. That was partly on him, but it also reflected the weak defensive coaching at PSU at that time. What we know now about Sandusky -- coaching linebackers wasn't exactly his highest priority.

I completely disagree with you saying we had "Weak defensive Coaching at PSU at that time". Leaving out JS I thought our defense was pretty good we had some good LB'rs in that time period, Arington, Mac Morrison, Brandon Short, Mo Daniels and Ron Graham. Not to mention Courtney Brown, Jimmy Kennedy, Justin Kurpeikis,
Askari Adams, Anthony King, David Macklin, James Boyd and Bahwoh Jue.

Defensive coaching (JS aside) was not the problem. It was the other side of the line that had most of the issues.

Just a ridiculous comment about Lavar Arrington, one of the best LBs ever at Penn State and also a 3-time Pro Bowl LB in the NFL. Sorry, but I can't let this type of revisionist history go without comment, even though it somehow has become de rigueur in certain circles to make this outlandish claim (I guess because Lavar also had so much natural ability).

+100

I thought our defense was pretty good we had some good LB'rs in that time period, Arington, Mac Morrison, Brandon Short, Mo Daniels and Ron Graham. Not to mention Courtney Brown, Jimmy Kennedy, Justin Kurpeikis,
Askari Adams, Anthony King, David Macklin, James Boyd and Bahwoh Jue.

That was some serious talent, loved watching that D

Reactions: BBrown
WOW...

1. You don't move Parsons for any reason! We will have Brooks, Smith, and Parsons next year - and yes I see that as the starting LBs come BiG play.
2. Miller isn't going to the NFL this year, and IF he would it would be a mistake, and IF he would Toney or Simmons will slide up to fill that void.
3. Arrington was a great athlete, and relied heavily on his football knowledge and ability to read plays. He DID play out of position a lot and it drove the PSU coaching staff (including Paterno) nuts... and this did continue into his NFL career and it drove the Redskins nuts as well - the DC sports reporters ranted about it on a near daily basis during Football Season. If you disagree, it is you who has a 'revisionist' memory. Sorry, but that is the truth. This is not a knock on Arrington, he ranks near the top of PSU's great LBs. Oh, and don't forget he played along side one of the most under rated and under appreciated LBs in PSU history - BranDon Short.
You know who used to drive Parcells nuts for being out of position, and ad libbing? Lawrence Taylor. But he also played pretty well at times.

Reactions: BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT