ADVERTISEMENT

Football Deep Dive: A closer look at Andy Kotelnicki's offense

I was appreciative of the comment that he matches scheme with personnel. I've seen too much stupidity over the years. Augment strengths.

On the flip side, when I hear the word "creativity," I do cringe just a bit. Reminds me of some of the nonsensical gimmickry we witnessed this year. I suppose if it worked it would be a different story.

I was appreciative of the comment that he matches scheme with personnel. I've seen too much stupidity over the years. Augment strengths.

On the flip side, when I hear the word "creativity," I do cringe just a bit. Reminds me of some of the nonsensical gimmickry we witnessed this year. I suppose if it worked it would be a different story.
Creativity can also mean teaching. I didn't like the hire at first but after doing more research I am warming up to it a bit

At least he’s here for the portal opening up on Monday. Interested to see what PSU offensive players hit the portal. Hopefully very few because the talent is there. It just seemed like the playbook was overwhelming for many and confusion reigned at times. Keep it simple Coach K!

I think he's done a great job at Buffalo and Kansas but has had the benefit of some exceptional offensive lines. We'll see what he can do with PSU's offensive lines.

Going to make this free for the ret of the day.

we had a common opponent last year and that was Illinois. Interestingly, they played ILL Sept 8th and we played them the next week, Sept 16th.

Kansas Offense vs ILL
  • 34 Points
  • 539 total yards
  • 277 passing yards
  • 262 rushing yards
  • 3rd down efficiency 9/13
  • QB was 21 for 29 with 2TDs and 1 INT
Kansas Offense vs PSU
  • 30 Points
  • 383 total yards
  • 219 passing yards
  • 164 rushing yards
  • 3rd down efficiency 7/18
  • QB 16/32 zero TDs or INTs

I think he's done a great job at Buffalo and Kansas but has had the benefit of some exceptional offensive lines. We'll see what he can do with PSU's offensive lines.
I really think the fact that PSU's offensive scheme until the MSU game, which obviously was designed to eliminate trunovers by a first year starter, made the o-line look worse than they really were. If PSU had expanded the field earlier in the season, it would've opened up more running lanes. Would Allar had thrown more interceptions by doing this? Probably. However, it would've been beneficial in the long run.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
I really think the fact that PSU's offensive scheme until the MSU game, which obviously was designed to eliminate trunovers by a first year starter, made the o-line look worse than they really were. If PSU had expanded the field earlier in the season, it would've opened up more running lanes. Would Allar had thrown more interceptions by doing yes? Probably. However, it would've been beneficial in the long run.
Agree. I also don't think it was a problem of "scheme" or "strategy". The problem was a) an eroding working relationship between CJF and MY and b) a lack of execution of the game plan. While the last two games without MY were against lesser competition, the offense felt more comfortable and efficient.

Most important part of piece, IMO……

That being said, with Drew Allar, the triple option it's safe to say, likely won't be nearly as effective, with Beau Pribula, that's a different story. That being said, Kotelnicki has spoken at length before including with Max Olsen of The Athletic in regards to the importance of identifying the strengths and weaknesses of your personal and then curtailing it to those said strengths.

Every offensive coordinator says that they will do such but ultimately very few are able to curtail it to their quarterbacks and other personnel successfully. For Kotelnicki, he's shown the ability to do that throughout his career but it's been especially highlighted at Buffalo and Kansas.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT