ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

LOL, just imagine the reaction if Spencer left Iowa to join David at OKST.

The GIA dumpster fire could be seen from outer space.
What fun that would be. I would certainly enjoy it, but I believe JTS will feel as though he found entertainment heaven.

I wonder whether a main reason DT started M2 was to create a pipeline of talent for himself that would flow most fully just about when he would retire from competition and be ready to coach collegiately.

To mix metaphors, was DT a farmer planting his orchard years in advance?

I wonder whether a main reason DT started M2 was to create a pipeline of talent for himself that would flow most fully just about when he would retire from competition and be ready to coach collegiately.

To mix metaphors, was DT a farmer planting his orchard years in advance?
Eh, feel like this is reaching a bit. He built M2 because A) it makes him a lot of money and B) he genuinely seems to enjoy coaching and helping young wrestlers.

Not that my opinion matters...but I think this is a good thing for college wrestling as a whole. I am a PSU alum and obviously bleed blue and white wrestling, but for me personally I am even more excited for the next season and seasons to come with DT now at OK State.

I personally can't wait for the next "2018 Bo moment" when PSU's next title comes down to the last match! It's been nothing short of amazing watching PSU break all the records, but it's also a ton of fun to have competition.

I feel the same. DT is a huge steal for OkSt. Cael and co were the biggest ever. Cael, Cody, and Casey are the true Stars and have shown that time and time again. DT has to create that coaching relationship with his wrestlers now. I think he can do it, but he has a lot to do in a place that needs some work. He needs his own DT to come and change his program. I think Jax is that guy. Bo, if he follows can be a nice secondary punch.
I agree C/C/C are stars and would add to this Dan Monthley and Bonnie...their influence shouldn't be ignored. Where is David going to find another Dan Monthley and Bonnie?

Spencer needs time to mature and prove that he can speak for himself instead of Larry doing it for him.
I agree on maturity. In college you are in a cocoon, particularly stud athletes. SL certainly knows wrestling, and I'm not tryin to put him down but a few years of cutting your teeth on your own and dealing with real life will make a big difference for him.

The room depth will probably be impacted the most. Taylor is every bit the drawl Cael was just not in the same talent area. But the advantage Taylor has is his Oh & Pa connections. The first two years of his coaching career could net him the top 2 recruits in the country.
Cael and Taylor's talent level aren't that far apart. Cael didn't wrestle anyone like Dake in college, and Bubba just caught him.

A) I think DT going to OSU is great for college wrestling. I don't think he'll have instant success, but it won't take long.

B) Even as a PSU fan, PSU is beginning to get almost too dominant. This hire will make things interesting.

C) Poor Iowa.

D) I've always thought/hoped DT would be the ideal successor to Cael at Penn State. The problem was the timeline didn't work - Cael would not be ready to head off into the sunset until well after DT was ready to take the reins as a HC.

E) I still hold out hope that DT will succeed Cael eventually.

F) More competition for PSU will just get Cael MORE motivated (if that is even possible). I can't wait!

Hat tip to the Oklahoma State powers that be that made this happen. Talk about swinging for the fences - wow! They already had a very good candidate in Scott and the program appeared to be on an upward trajectory with talented recruits, redshirts and transfers teed up. But somebody decided this wasn’t good enough so they tossed all of their cards on the table and declared “Goddamnit, we are going to compete with Cael Sanderson!” I am seriously impressed.
So Oklahoma State will have been coached by John Smith then DT. That is pretty amazing. Kudos to them. Doesn’t change any though. Cael inc has faced great teams and hopefully they will continue to.

If you are upset about this, you are worrying too much about PSU and not enough about the sport of wrestling.

This is GREAT for wrestling! This is also GREAT for DT. He deserves it, and I'm extremely happy for him!

Listen, it is sort of fun to watch our favorite team win by 100 points at Nationals, but, it is NOT good for the sport. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the dominance and am happy for our coaches, wrestlers and fans. However, it was more exciting when Quentin was beating Kilgore to secure the title, or Bo was getting a pin to secure the title.

I have no doubt that DT will succeed at Oklahoma St. It will definitely slow down the PSU dominance, as he is definitely going to get some recruits that would have gone to PSU.

I wish DT nothing but success. I will root for Oklahoma State wrestlers (unless they are going against PSU) and will root for them to come in 2nd place for years to come.

Eh, feel like this is reaching a bit. He built M2 because A) it makes him a lot of money and B) he genuinely seems to enjoy coaching and helping young wrestlers.
Yeah, that’s what a regular person like me would think also. But it would be pretty cool if DT was more awesome than a regular person, along the lines of the quote, something like:

Talent hits the target that no one else can hit, genius hits the target that no one else can see.

I would love to believe DT has extraordinary long-term vision. Remember, some of these top wrestlers have been visualizing themselves winning the Olympics since age 7. It does not seem too much of a stretch for them to use the same visualization and planning for the next step beyond.

Reactions: diggerpup
Very early in Magic Johnson’s pro career, he was inviting people like Warren Buffett out to lunch, in preparation for the next phase of his life, after basketball.

I honestly don't care who DT takes to OSU, but Casey needs to stay at PSU. Break the bank if you have to donors.
Casey isn’t going anywhere. On FRL they said OSU made a run at him first and he shot it down quickly. They then said they think Cael , Cody , and Casey stay together their entire coaching careers. Who knows but I’m sure many have called in the past to feel him out. I’m with you though, keeping Casey and Cody is very key to maintaining this PSU dynasty

We’ll just call it a difference of opinions. But it mostly just comes down to two guys at the same weight who both believe(d) they are the best in the world
I think the bulk of the tension came from a not well kept secret of 2019. DT tore his ACL at Beat the Streets but told Bo it wasn't serious and he would be back by Final X. Bo out of respect stayed 92 and lost to J'Den of course. DT would miss Final X, which gave Downey the spot, who obviously most would take Bo over. I think the big reason is DT 100% knew Bo would likely medal at worlds at 86, which gives him the Finals of OTT spot, while DT is working back form an ACL tear, which adds another challenge.

I don't think they are sworn enemies or anything but Bo losing to DT at OTT then moving right onto MMA basically ended everything on a sour note and never got repaired. I think they'd be cordial obviously when they see each other but they aren't getting beers anymore whereas Bo was clearly a staple of all of DT's previous big life events back in the day.

I'd like to add DT was always more of a big brother and mentor figure to Bo. They came at different times, were on different teams and in different stage careers.

Yeah, that’s what a regular person like me would think also. But it would be pretty cool if DT was more awesome than a regular person, along the lines of the quote, something like:

Talent hits the target that no one else can hit, genius hits the target that no one else can see.

I would love to believe DT has extraordinary long-term vision. Remember, some of these top wrestlers have been visualizing themselves winning the Olympics since age 7. It does not seem too much of a stretch for them to use the same visualization and planning for the next step beyond.
The long term benefit would be developing his coaching skills.

There might be some short term pipeline benefit, but starting now all of the youth wrestlers will be coached by somebody else. They might like David better, but enough to have a pipeline to some other part of the country, years from now?

Whatever contacts he made with other club and varsity coaches would be a bigger benefit than any supposed athlete pipeline.

If you are upset about this, you are worrying too much about PSU and not enough about the sport of wrestling.

This is GREAT for wrestling! This is also GREAT for DT. He deserves it, and I'm extremely happy for him!

Listen, it is sort of fun to watch our favorite team win by 100 points at Nationals, but, it is NOT good for the sport. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the dominance and am happy for our coaches, wrestlers and fans. However, it was more exciting when Quentin was beating Kilgore to secure the title, or Bo was getting a pin to secure the title.

I have no doubt that DT will succeed at Oklahoma St. It will definitely slow down the PSU dominance, as he is definitely going to get some recruits that would have gone to PSU.

I wish DT nothing but success. I will root for Oklahoma State wrestlers (unless they are going against PSU) and will root for them to come in 2nd place for years to come.
100% agree. I’ll add that I’m not upset, and very happy for David.

While I definitely wish David the best, I do feel some sadness in seeing one of the cornerstones of the program leaving the Happy Valley confines…going to be a bit strange and melancholy to not have him around.

A big winner in all of this is Strittmatter and Young Guns. YG had taken a hit the last 5-7 years as M2 took over the region.

I’m less concerned about DT to OKST and more concerned about what happens to M2. I’d prefer the premier club in the area to be run by a PSU guy. I know YG sent us several studs, but I’m not sure I’ll ever completely trust Strittmatter and his Iowa connections.

With all that said, I think you’ll see a PSU guy fill the void/buy M2. Nolf seems like the most logical candidate, but who knows.

Reactions: RandyL
A big winner in all of this is Strittmatter and Young Guns. YG had taken a hit the last 5-7 years as M2 took over the region.

I’m less concerned about DT to OKST and more concerned about what happens to M2. I’d prefer the premier club in the area to be run by a PSU guy. I know YG sent us several studs, but I’m not sure I’ll ever completely trust Strittmatter and his Iowa connections.

With all that said, I think you’ll see a PSU guy fill the void/buy M2. Nolf seems like the most logical candidate, but who knows.
We got the best YG kids except Spencer who clearly wanted to do his own thing. OSU got the recent good batch (Welsh, Kilkeary)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT