ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

Heard the McCort crew are all packed up and heading to Stilly High...

I kid I kid.. lol
Good, at least they won’t be in AA this year lmao.

In all reality, Taylor has to be feeling good with his relationship with Jax and Bo. They train there sometimes, they go to NLWC with him. If he lands both of them he is off to a great run at second. Then add in his prior relationship with Ryder and company, we might have alittle competition again. This might be fun and it could take us until Sat morning to clinic instead of Friday afternoon

A few thoughts on the DT to OSU train:

- Something seemed off back at the OTT’s. I couldn’t put my finger on it then, but I’m wondering now if there was already some gears in motion behind the scenes and DT was already considering moving on to new pastures.
- Does this make it more likely Barraclough heads to OSU for his final year? You’d have to think his familiarity with DT would at least make him consider it.
- Where does M2 go from here? Does DT appoint a successor? Does he sell it to another wrestler (Nolf, Bo, KD, etc.)? Do other clubs like Steller Trained or YG hoover up some of those long time M2 kids?
- I don’t get the feeling Zain is itching to leave his Wall St career for coaching. The scuttlebutt at OTT’s was that he’s winding down his career soon. Same for Nick Lee.
- Lastly, I’m almost certainly reading too far into this, but DT’s farewell tweet to the program last night seemed a bit on the short side. I’m not saying he’s should’ve taken out a full page ad in the Centre Daily Times or that it should’ve been a long dissertation type post, but it felt a bit obligatory and superficial compared to most posts of that ilk.

A big winner in all of this is Strittmatter and Young Guns. YG had taken a hit the last 5-7 years as M2 took over the region.

I’m less concerned about DT to OKST and more concerned about what happens to M2. I’d prefer the premier club in the area to be run by a PSU guy. I know YG sent us several studs, but I’m not sure I’ll ever completely trust Strittmatter and his Iowa connections.

With all that said, I think you’ll see a PSU guy fill the void/buy M2. Nolf seems like the most logical candidate, but who knows.
M2 sent PSU Levi, Kasak, Perry and others.
YG sent us Nolf and Cenzo. Iowa got Spencer, Young and Murin.
PSU has done well with YG kids.

- Lastly, I’m almost certainly reading too far into this, but DT’s farewell tweet to the program last night seemed a bit on the short side. I’m not saying he’s should’ve taken out a full page ad in the Centre Daily Times or that it should’ve been a long dissertation type post, but it felt a bit obligatory and superficial compared to most posts of that ilk.
I had the same thoughts. I haven’t seen anybody wish him well yet either. I do wonder if there was tension behind the scenes.

Reactions: vhsalum
I had the same thoughts. I haven’t seen anybody wish him well yet either. I do wonder if there was tension behind the scenes.
No one has. It's actually very interesting. The only posts were Carter's and Nolfs. They were not well wishes.

A few thoughts on the DT to OSU train:

- Something seemed off back at the OTT’s. I couldn’t put my finger on it then, but I’m wondering now if there was already some gears in motion behind the scenes and DT was already considering moving on to new pastures.
- Does this make it more likely Barraclough heads to OSU for his final year? You’d have to think his familiarity with DT would at least make him consider it.
- Where does M2 go from here? Does DT appoint a successor? Does he sell it to another wrestler (Nolf, Bo, KD, etc.)? Do other clubs like Steller Trained or YG hoover up some of those long time M2 kids?
- I don’t get the feeling Zain is itching to leave his Wall St career for coaching. The scuttlebutt at OTT’s was that he’s winding down his career soon. Same for Nick Lee.
He has to completely divest from M2.

Carters post makes me think DT told them he wasn’t leaving and then switched up when the money became too good.
Carter is a young guy with no kids and has more freedom to be loyal to the program. DT has a family and that is where his first loyalty should be. If someone was throwing life changing money at DT then he had to consider it.

PSU faithful are filling up forum boards ... not much from the Poke faithful at this point? Is DT going to be welcomed with open arms? I've only seen a few WOW tweets ... doesn't give me a warm fuzzy

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
I don't think Carter cares much about bridges.

And I am not sure Cael cares all that much about proteges, either.

End of the day, it's a business. Cael full well knows David's livelihood now depends on beating Cael and his wrestlers as much as possible. Not that Cael hates or dislikes him. But it is what it is.

The fans will love it once the program is back to being relevant
Had this talk with a guy I work with today who wrestled at LHU.

They just stepped over every alum that has gone into coaching in the entire John Smith era to hire an outsider, and at a minimum probably permanently (until they win big again) severed ties with 3/4 of them.

They better win soon and big or the pressure to "do something" on the same people who financed this move will be heavier than maybe any wrestling coach has ever felt.

Had this talk with a guy I work with today who wrestled at LHU.

They just stepped over every alum that has gone into coaching in the entire John Smith era to hire an outsider, and at a minimum probably permanently (until they win big again) severed ties with 3/4 of them.

They better win soon and big or the pressure to "do something" on the same people who financed this move will be heavier than maybe any wrestling coach has ever felt.
If winning happens, they will follow. If he does not, well, then it changes. I see DT winning.

If winning happens, they will follow. If he does not, well, then it changes. I see DT winning.
Like I said yesterday, he had to take the job and Oklahoma State had to take him if he wanted it.

But this is not Cael with a clean slate. There will be folks around the program who had a ton of success who will want to stay but won't be allowed to do. Folks who wanted the job and didn't get it. If it had taken Cael 4 years to win but he was always close, I don't think he would have been gone. Don't know if I feel that way here.

I think he'll win. But this could go sideways real quick if he doesn't. It won't be "practice patience". It will be, "why did we leave the John Smith Way not to win?"

Like I said yesterday, he had to take the job and Oklahoma State had to take him if he wanted it.

But this is not Cael with a clean slate. There will be folks around the program who had a ton of success who will want to stay but won't be allowed to do. Folks who wanted the job and didn't get it. If it had taken Cael 4 years to win but he was always close, I don't think he would have been gone. Don't know if I feel that way here.

I think he'll win. But this could go sideways real quick if he doesn't. It won't be "practice patience". It will be, "why did we leave the John Smith Way not to win?"
Be nice if @CowboyUp61 could weigh in with his thoughts.

Be nice if @CowboyUp61 could weigh in with his thoughts.
Careful what you ask for :D! In reality, I am somewhat in shock. The only way this happened is a big donor, who apparently didn't like John, came forward with a big bag of cash, and allowed this to happen.

I am a Coleman Scott fan, and hope that DT finds a way to keep him here. I think he will need some help with the administrative stuff, and not sure that any of the names that have been floated have that experience.

Having only met DT twice, and never to talk to, not sure how he will fit. Everything I have ever seen about him interacting with people has been positive. Remember when he lost in WTT here in Stillwater, in 15 minutes he was in the stands signing autographs, taking pics with people, talking to kids.

We will see. More than likely a home run, but still that possibility of a strikeout. Having that big donor carrying the weight is a lot of pressure on whoever is there.

Careful what you ask for :D! In reality, I am somewhat in shock. The only way this happened is a big donor, who apparently didn't like John, came forward with a big bag of cash, and allowed this to happen.

I am a Coleman Scott fan, and hope that DT finds a way to keep him here. I think he will need some help with the administrative stuff, and not sure that any of the names that have been floated have that experience.

Having only met DT twice, and never to talk to, not sure how he will fit. Everything I have ever seen about him interacting with people has been positive. Remember when he lost in WTT here in Stillwater, in 15 minutes he was in the stands signing autographs, taking pics with people, talking to kids.

We will see. More than likely a home run, but still that possibility of a strikeout. Having that big donor carrying the weight is a lot of pressure on whoever is there.
Congratulations first of all, you have always been such an awesome poster on this board. I will say this is way way more likely of a home run. If it's a "strikeout" then it's a case of hitting two foul balls that are almost homers and then striking swinging for the fences on the third, which you can't be mad at that effort.

DT has some work to do but if he has the financial support (which he does, no way he agrees without it being the case), he is going to get everyone's buy in fast and succeed. Seismic move end of the day.

DT has a family and that is where his first loyalty should be. If someone was throwing life changing money at DT then he had to consider it.
He has to completely divest from M2.

One of the problems with "closely held" businesses is that business and the owner aren't separable. I suspect that a significant part of its value is Taylor as the sine qua non asset.

The more I think about this as an observer, the more I think it was Okie State striking while the iron was hot. Taylor just lost to the rising young phenom, who is more likely a natural 86kg wrestler than him. Taylor knows at 33, his time on the mat is (or has) ending/ended and this kind of high-profile job and program would be a way of salving that hurt. Making a career out of wrestling involves at some point becoming a coach and losing to AB certainly had to be a reminder nobody escapes the ravages time.

However, this involves a lot of family disruption. His girls lose the farm (he could start a new one) and the proximity to grandparents. Who knows how connected his wife is to the present situation. Happy wife, happy life...

This is a comment on the LONL podcast (given to extremes as a couple days ago the future was never brighter and now DT's hiring is bad news).

"@TimM-wk1zx
13 hours ago
What is Okie State thinking….no coaching experience, no experience with the politics of it all.

What is DT’s pitch going to be, I just lost in the OTT, and I was pinned in an NCAA Finals match."

The last sentence is snippy and harsh, but the first is true. Okie Staters are going to expect miracles (i.e. a return to the program's dominance of decades ago) and if he doesn't deliver, he'll be dumped for "failure to meet (sky high) expectations and he's never been a college coach.

As for him running the gauntlet with PA/OH wrestlers, I don't think so. In any recruiting pitch, Cael has proven success. "That's what we do" and Taylor has potential success.

And then there's the tornadoes in Oklahoma..

One can be objective here and objectively, DT is now an opponent, certainly at NCAA's. It would be a great testament if he came in and crushed whatever of the constantly changing conference opponents in short order. However, in any head to head match up, I want orange pinned.

Reactions: Ski

Congratulations on the new hire. I think it is going to be a very good thing for the Cowpokes and will eventually cause some hand wringing at tournament time in Nittanyville.
The big question will be; If OSU sees the success that it hopes for in the future will DT be able to keep the staff intact as well as Cael? But that is for a later day. Today you toast to good fortune!

Two Burning questions: Will DT try to talk Bonnie to leave with him and will Taylor keep the creepy blonde lady who wears Oklahoma State stuff around. I think she said she was on staff as a recruiter. Mineo was talking about her yesterday and I can’t seem to find it now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT