ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Jones eats crow...now says Penn State will win division

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Dave had predicted an Iowa win but was singing a different tune in his post-game wrap with Flounders.

It seems that everybody's now climbing aboard the bandwagon and making playoff reservations.

But I think as a general rule, it's good not to overreact...either to a loss...or a win...even a win as impressive as last night:

Dave had predicted an Iowa win but was singing a different tune in his post-game wrap with Flounders.

It seems that everybody's now climbing aboard the bandwagon and making playoff reservations.

But I think as a general rule, it's good not to overreact...either to a loss...or a win...even a win as impressive as last night:

Jones is not very football smart. Instead of actually looking at film and studying the current team, he bases all of his analysis on history.

I think the 99 plays tied or broke a team record. The number of plays and TOP was crazy one-sided.

...and Jones laughs too much.

Reactions: Jerry
1) Dave ate his due portion of crow, give him a little credit for that.

2) His true area of expertise is basketball.

It all comes down to 3 games.

OSU vs. PSU
PSU vs. UM
UM vs. OSU

The team left standing will win the B1G and have a spot in the CFP all but assured. Should be fun.

Last edited:
Just a few years ago Jones was also predicting a tough new rivalry game with Maryland. I guess in Jones’ mind it was suppose to replace the old Penn State/Pitt rivalry. In the ensuing game Penn State demolished Maryland. Jones laughed that one off too as he wiped the egg off his face. Watching these two pompous a$$es pretend they’re so clever and chatty is awful.

I think the 99 plays tied or broke a team record. The number of plays and TOP was crazy one-sided.

The stats are almost unbelievable. I mean: 80 total yards and four first downs for the Iowa offense??!!

You rarely see that level of defensive domination. By the end, you had the feeling that Iowa could play us until next Wednesday and not come close to scoring.

Meanwhile, our own O had no big plays while Nick and Kaytron averaged just 3 yards a rush between the two of them. But Drew played within himself, made no mistakes, and was on target for 4 short touchdown throws.

In fact, I think the conservative play-calling was exactly right for the opponent and the conditions as the game went on.

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

OSU vs. PSU
PSU vs. UM
UM vs. OSU

The team left standing will win the B1G and have a spot in the CFP all but assured. Should be fun.

Agreed. As usual, the conference championship game against the West winner is an after-thought...a mere formality.

But here's a realistic scenario: Ohio State beats Penn State at the Shoe; Penn State beats Michigan at the Beav; and then Michigan beats Ohio State at the Big House. God knows what will happen then.

Oh well, getting way ahead of myself here: Northwestern...Northwestern...Northwestern...

Reactions: Sullivan

I think we were 2 short from the record. I am pretty sure had Franklin known, he might have went for it.
(Or who knows)

I worry about Maryland being a trap game a week prior to UM and away. They do have a good amount of talent. They actually serve as a potential trap game for UM as well heading into the OSU game.

Reactions: rrdd2021 and Jerry
I worry about Maryland being a trap game a week prior to UM and away. They do have a good amount of talent. They actually serve as a potential trap game for UM as well heading into the OSU game.

Other than the big-2, Maryland looks on paper like the only remaining team on the schedule that could potentially pose a challenge...though their 4-0 record to this point has been compiled against weak competition.

They don't get a huge homefield advantage in College Park...not much football history or environment on that campus. I attended a Penn State game there a few years ago, and the Maryland side of the field wasn't into the game at all. (The 2020 Maryland win in the Covid year was a meaningless fluke.)

Penn State would have needed to turn the ball over on virtually every possession to lose that game. Iowa's offense went backwards the last 3 quarters. The Iowa offense is so bad and Penn State's defense is so good, Iowa wouldn't have scored a point if another four quarters had been played.

The stats are almost unbelievable. I mean: 80 total yards and four first downs for the Iowa offense??!!

You rarely see that level of defensive domination. By the end, you had the feeling that Iowa could play us until next Wednesday and not come close to scoring.

Meanwhile, our own O had no big plays while Nick and Kaytron averaged just 3 yards a rush between the two of them. But Drew played within himself, made no mistakes, and was on target for 4 short touchdown throws.

In fact, I think the conservative play-calling was exactly right for the opponent and the conditions as the game went on.
I think I heard Franklin say in the post game presser that the yards allowed was 10th best in PSU football history. Can't imagine the other 9 games, I think one was when we obliterated Maryland in '78, 27-3, when they had minus 32 yards rushing.

Then our time of possession advantage set the school record for that stat.

Agreed. As usual, the conference championship game against the West winner is an after-thought...a mere formality.

But here's a realistic scenario: Ohio State beats Penn State at the Shoe; Penn State beats Michigan at the Beav; and then Michigan beats Ohio State at the Big House. God knows what will happen then.

Oh well, getting way ahead of myself here: Northwestern...Northwestern...Northwestern...
Then it goes to the tie breaker which is the combined conference record of your cross division opponents. NW is a team we need to do well except obviously this week.

Could be bad news that Jones is on the bandwagon. He is pretty clueless.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

I smell two rats.

Predicting a PSU division win at this point is as deluded as an Iowa win last night. IMHO PSU/OSU/UM are a toss up and could come down to a key injury or two.

Predicting a PSU division win at this point is as deluded as an Iowa win last night. IMHO PSU/OSU/UM are a toss up and could come down to a key injury or two.

Agreed.

If form holds and all else remains more or less equal, I think we'll go into Columbus as a slight underdog and enter the home game against Michigan as a slight favorite.

Wouldn't be surprising if in the end the league's tiebreaking formula comes into play to determine the division winner.

He will pick OSU or Michigan ( or both) to beat psu

OSU vs. PSU
PSU vs. UM
UM vs. OSU

What happens if PSU beats OSU, UM beats PSU, OSU beats UM? Serious question, I don't know the tie breaker.

What happens if PSU beats OSU, UM beats PSU, OSU beats UM? Serious question, I don't know the tie breaker.
David Jones picks.

No wait, before you slash your wrists and take a hot bath...

1. If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
  2. If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 8 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step (or sub-step), the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative. If three or more teams remain tied after any step, move to next step in tiebreaker with remaining tied teams.
1. The records of the three (or more) tied teams will be compared based on winning percentage in games between the tied teams. (so if PSU loses to NW but beats both UM and tOSU we are in)
(a) Example: East 1 is 2-0 in games between the tied teams with wins over East 2 and 3 - East 1 would be the representative.
2. The records of the three (or more) tied teams will be compared based on winning percentage within their division.
3. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, 6, and 7).
(a) When arriving at a group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the collective tied teams as a group, rather than record against the individual teams.
4. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared based on winning percentage against all common conference opponents.
5. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared based on the best cumulative conference winning percentage of non-divisional opponents.
(a) Example: East 1 non-divisional opponents are 20-7, East 2 non-divisional opponents are 19-8, East 3 non-divisional opponents are 14-13 – East 1 would be the representative.
6. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared against the highest placed non-divisional teams in their division order of finish (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7).
(a) When arriving at a group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the collective tied teams as a group, rather than record against the individual teams.
(b) When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the record will prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e. 1-0 is better than 0-0, 2-0 is better than 1-0, etc.)
7. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative.
8. The representative will be chosen by random draw.

Yep. Plus, Iowa came in without their two staring RBs and TE.

How would we feel if we had to play a game without Warren, Kaytron and Singleton? The team has looked great but we've all known the season will really come down to two games: UM and tOSU.

Reactions: heckmans
Yep. Plus, Iowa came in without their two staring RBs and TE.

How would we feel if we had to play a game without Warren, Kaytron and Singleton? The team has looked great but we've all known the season will really come down to two games: UM and tOSU.
When OSU played Georgia last year in the CFP, they were without their top 3 RB's, top 2 WR's and their starting TE by the 4th quarter. That is football and that is why there is no such thing as too much depth.

Just a few years ago Jones was also predicting a tough new rivalry game with Maryland. I guess in Jones’ mind it was suppose to replace the old Penn State/Pitt rivalry. In the ensuing game Penn State demolished Maryland. Jones laughed that one off too as he wiped the egg off his face. Watching these two pompous a$$es pretend they’re so clever and chatty is awful.
I think he had a relative playing for Maryland at that time.

Then it goes to the tie breaker which is the combined conference record of your cross division opponents. NW is a team we need to do well except obviously this week.
The NW win over Minnesota was helpful in that regard. I believe Both OSU and Mich play Minnesota.

Reactions: lazydave841
Yeah, I don’t get how he picked Penn St to lose to Iowa but then to beat Ohio St and Michigan. 😳

Yeah, I don’t get how he picked Penn St to lose to Iowa but then to beat Ohio St and Michigan. 😳
Because he wants to be able to criticize them if they lose those games. He doesn't actually think we'll best both.

I think he had a relative playing for Maryland at that time.

As I recall, one of Maryland's QB in 2019 was Joey Jackson who was on the short end of a 59-0, Penn State beat down. Jones didn't let on until the game was over that Jackson was connected to his family (I forget how exactly)

Jones is not very football smart. Instead of actually looking at film and studying the current team, he bases all of his analysis on history.
Isn't it time for Dave to dust off his old "Franklin is going to USC" or "Franklin is going to Florida St" stories? When he needs clicks, those are his go to's.

Reactions: SR108
I don't know who Jones is but, seriously, how can anyone pick Iowa over any top 10 team? I just finished watching Red Corner - Blue Corner with Jake Butt and Josh Perry and to say they ripped into Iowa and the Ferentzes would be a HUGE understatement. Perry described their offense as putrid and I forget what word Butt used but it was on the same level,

Also, they also mentioned that Brian F is required to average 25 ppg this year or they can let him go. Very, very doubtful if he can make it. If he doesn't, will Daddy let him go ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT