ADVERTISEMENT

Damn - Renteria decommits as well

I think his brother is probably more likely to end up at 49, though he's gotten pretty big (relatively) recently.

As said we have options. We could theoretically have Busiello at 25 and Suriano at 33 after Cortez leaves

Is there no shot Mason Manville holds at 149?

Nick Lee will be the starter at 141 for the 2017-2018 NCAA season.
I like this - not because of need - but because I am that high on Nick Lee.

If indeed, Cortez spends his final year at 141 - we will have a need for a 133. Not really sold on Courtney or Murin at this point (although that could change) over Renteria - I guess the in-state thing could help, but with PSU in-state tuition levels being what they are I'm sure Courtney and Murin will have better options financially. To me, Courtney and Murin are just one of 10 guys in or around that weight that could just take turns beating each other. I guess it could be the same with Renteria - just don't know as much about him. What I will say is that there are no Zain Retherfords in that group - as of now. Of course I'm not privy to the mental aspect - off the mat and in the practice room stuff for that could be the difference maker. I know Courtney is an excellent student.

We're going to need one more lightweight over the next two years - at least for flexibility. I guess it will be a the guy like someone above that will come here for less.

I think Joe Lee will be another great recruit, but I see him and Manville holding down 57 and 65 after Nolf and Joseph. Hopefully with a kid like Shane Griffith entering the mix.

Really happy to hear that about Beard. Very young for his grade - great potential in folk, super tough on top. Kid is going to be a great college wrestler.

Looking at the recruiting board, 2017 HAS to be light. I would think the staff has big designs for 2018:

1) Joe Lee - already committed
2) Beard - rumor above that he may be next
3) Seth Nevills - obviously a choice to take over from Nick
4) Shane Griffith - rumor posted that the staff is very, very high on him

All these kids are potential Top 10 recruits when SRs.

This doesn't include kids like Travis Wittlake or a kid like Gable Stevenson who may impact this if he were to want to come here.

When you look at this, you can see why there may not be a push for Singletary despite his interest and talent. If you have to choose between him and Beard (who is just as talented), Beard fits the timeline better for PSU and is in-state.

Possibly either Teasdale or a Thomsen type kid...

Don't see Teasdale coming here for less, although if he were to waver in his commitment I'm sure they would find a way to make it work.

Thomsen has expressed interest, but PSU out-of-state tuition may be a big hurdle to overcome.

What I will say is that there are no Zain Retherfords in that group - as of now. Of course I'm not privy to the mental aspect - off the mat and in the practice room stuff for that could be the difference maker. I know Courtney is an excellent student.
There are no other "Zain Retherfords mentally." He's as good as I've ever seen at willing himself to win, in HS and again in college.

I do not care where InterMat and Flo has Nick Lee ranked in their class of 2017 recruiting rankings. He is a top 5 prospect among the rising seniors.
Agreed. I was put him 4th or 5th on my list right now in the country. I can understand IM and FLO - don't like to move a guy up too much at once. Lee, Yianni & Fix have all earned their top 3, I guess you can put Singletary up there because he is a big guy and they have extra value. I'm also a big Arujua fan. Had to chuckle to myself the other day reading on the Iowa board, a poster who was actually trying to make a case in PSU favor, saying Berge would not have any trouble with Nick Lee (should they both end up at 149, which I would think is pretty unlikely - may as well throw Manville in the mix if you are going there).

There are no other "Zain Retherfords mentally." He's as good as I've ever seen at willing himself to win, in HS and again in college.
Good point and I would agree. He is pretty unique. I might have been better served saying there's no Cenzo's, Nolf's or Nickal's in there IMO at this point. Not that they are chopped liver either, lol.

I do not care where InterMat and Flo has Nick Lee ranked in their class of 2017 recruiting rankings. He is a top 5 prospect among the rising seniors.

I can understand IM and FLO - don't like to move a guy up too much at once.

All rankings are subjective. Plus, Lee missed most of last HS season due to his back injury.

Flo has him ranked #13 overall. At 141, Yianni and Gfeller are ranked ahead of him (#2 and #9, respectively).

I don't see Lee moving ahead of Yianni unless he defeats him in the coming year. Would be a nice match-up at Who's #1, FloNationals, etc.

All rankings are subjective. Plus, Lee missed most of last HS season due to his back injury.

Flo has him ranked #13 overall. At 141, Yianni and Gfeller are ranked ahead of him (#2 and #9, respectively).

I don't see Lee moving ahead of Yianni unless he defeats him in the coming year. Would be a nice match-up at Who's #1, FloNationals, etc.

There are indications that Nick Lee will not compete for Mater Dei HS this season and graduate early or do cyber schooling to train freestyle at Nittany Lion Wrestling Club for the 2016-2017 season.

There are indications that Nick Lee will not compete for Mater Dei HS this season and graduate early or do cyber schooling to train freestyle at Nittany Lion Wrestling Club for the 2016-2017 season.

Sounds like an okie state type plan.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Sounds like the Manville plan as well. Wait, does this mean Nick Lee doesn't fit according to the boards?

Yep doesn't fit and there is no plan by our staff. We take 4 guys for 2 spots and just hope for the best

A2S: you need to post more and be liked less. Your like/message count is pretty rarefied air reserved for only the 1% among us.

Precisely why you've been saying all along Nick Lee will be our 141 as a true frosh. Starting to think you know something

To clarify: Nick Lee will not be a enrolled this school year at Penn State.

He will be a true freshman for the 2017-2018 season.

The upcoming 2016-2017 season is when he will train at Nittany Lion Wrestling Club.
You had my curiosity, now you have my attention

Renteria had previously listed his top 5: PSU, UNC, They Be Illin, Missouri, and the Illegal Back Fisters.

Mejia seems to be taking his time and letting the coaches come to him. He had earlier talked with the Goofers and Illin. Today he tweeted visits from Troy Steiner (Fresno), Mark Perry (Illin') and Oregon State asst coach Kevin Roberts.

Renteria had previously listed his top 5: PSU, UNC, They Be Illin, Missouri, and the Illegal Back Fisters.

Mejia seems to be taking his time and letting the coaches come to him. He had earlier talked with the Goofers and Illin. Today he tweeted visits from Troy Steiner (Fresno), Mark Perry (Illin') and Oregon State asst coach Kevin Roberts.

Perry: "Come to Illinois! If you are in a close match and struggling, I'll keep the refs busy with fake red flags and time outs"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT