ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo voted Buckeyes #11 in Coaches Poll

As with your stance on the Sandusky situation and 'there being no good reason for Sandusky to be showering with a non-related boy', your steadfastness and unrelenting forcefulness of the 'half the season' train of thought is to be admired :)
You left off the part about Sandusky being alone with the unrelated boys and having physical contact with them, even after agreeing with the police to never do so again.
I appreciate it.

You dont really understand facts and evidence, do you?
Any and all rankings are opinions as well.

If the Big Ten were such a powerful conference as you assert, then a mediocre and overrated coach such as Dabo Sweeney, who toils around in a glorified-G5 conference, would get Sh!t-stomped against the likes of Alabama, and Ohio State every he is gifted a CFB berth. But that isn't happening, is it? Hence the opinioins that you spew which you think are not facts at all. Thus they are not evidence either.
I never said Dabo was a mediocre and overrated coach....please show me where I said that. I just said he would not have the success at PSU that he has at Clemson.

I agree with that but it's strictly based on recruiting. He wouldn't be able to recruit at the same level here that he can at Clemson. For a large number of reasons including geography, academics, facilities, etc.

If he could bring that entire Clemson team to Penn State right now, they'd run through the Big Ten including Ohio State. Sure the games might be closer than what they get in the ACC, maybe they lose one conference game every other year but the result is still the same.
Mainly it would be recruiting, but I don’t think he would run through the Big with the team he has now. They’d still be really good, but they’d get tripped up somewhere. And he wouldn’t have been able to build up that type of team in the Big anywhere except OSU.

I agree with a lot of what you posted, but in normal seasons no one benefits more than Dabo because he plays in a crap conference and skates in every year pretty much entirely healthy. So for Dabo to be the one bitching seems pretty ridiculous in my mind. And if there were any other teams deserving, I would agree OSU doesn’t belong, but there isn’t.

You've made some fair points in this thread, though I continue to disagree with your bottom-line opinions on both Ohio State and Clemson relative to this year's playoff.

In fact, the comparison between the ACC and Big-2, uh, -10 doesn't seem clear-cut to me. I mean, there are a number of ways to measure such things, and none of them is perfect or scientific, but if you take just one meaningful statistic, namely bowl stats, and glance over the last, say, 12 years, you find that the records of the ACC and Big-10 are pretty close...with a slight edge to the ACC.

Truthfully, the Big-10 pretty much sucked as an overall conference until Penn State joined and gave the entire league a boost, which makes all the more ironic the treatment it doled out to us. Even the two glamor teams performed in underwhelming fashion in bowl games for 20+ years preceding Penn State's entry. (Both teams had post-season win percentages was in the range of 30% during that period.)

As for the ACC, it's developed beyond its billing as mostly a basketball league. You've got Florida State and Miami in the mix now, which, granted, are both in down cycles but dominated the game at one time in the not so distant past and sooner or later will be back to being very good programs. Miami may be there now. Even an addition like Syracuse was good enough to upset Clemson a few years ago.

The point is, I can't agree with the statement that Dabo's record is mainly a product of the ACC's weakness. I think he could do just fine in the Big-10. Whether he'd be good enough to overcome John O'Neill is a different question. Haha! That last line is for Grant... ;)

You've made some fair points in this thread, though I continue to disagree with your bottom-line opinions on both Ohio State and Clemson relative to this year's playoff.

In fact, the comparison between the ACC and Big-2, uh, -10 doesn't seem clear-cut to me. I mean, there are a number of ways to measure such things, and none of them is perfect or scientific, but if you take just one meaningful statistic, namely bowl stats, and glance over the last, say, 12 years, you find that the records of the ACC and Big-10 are pretty close...with a slight edge to the ACC.

Truthfully, the Big-10 pretty much sucked as an overall conference until Penn State joined and gave the entire league a boost, which makes all the more ironic the treatment it doled out to us. Even the two glamor teams performed in underwhelming fashion in bowl games for 20+ years preceding Penn State's entry. (Both teams had post-season win percentages was in the range of 30% during that period.)

As for the ACC, it's developed beyond its billing as mostly a basketball league. You've got Florida State and Miami in the mix now, which, granted, are both in down cycles but dominated the game at one time in the not so distant past and sooner or later will be back to being very good programs. Miami may be there now. Even an addition like Syracuse was good enough to upset Clemson a few years ago.

The point is, I can't agree with the statement that Dabo's record is mainly a product of the ACC's weakness. I think he could do just fine in the Big-10. Whether he'd be good enough to overcome John O'Neill is a different question. Haha! That last line is for Grant... ;)
I think when Penn State joined the conference there was a perception that the Big was weak and PSU would dominate. That didn’t happen (other than 94)....was that because PSU and Paterno weren’t as good as advertised or because the Big was better than perception (I’d go with the latter). As for the ACC, Miami hasn’t been good since Dabo has been at Clemson. FSU was really good for awhile and where was Clemson when FSU was really strong? Not playing for NC’s. For the past 5 or 6 years the conference has been terrible, with the entire Coastal division being a joke. It might be improving now (hard to say with the Covid year), but we will see.

If the BIG were such a superior conference I would expect to see more teams represented in the title game. How many have played for a NC in the last 20 years? One. The other P5 conferences have had multiple teams appearing but the closest the BIG has come to that was a single appearance by MSU in the semi. That pretty much speaks for the strength of the conference.

As with your stance on the Sandusky situation and 'there being no good reason for Sandusky to be showering with a non-related boy', your steadfastness and unrelenting forcefulness of the 'half the season' train of thought is to be admired :)
Ok my
That is true and becoming more of a farce every year. Hey, guess who will be in the playoffs next year? Bama, Clemson, OSU and Oklahoma (in case you were looking to make a bet).
Right. It kind of makes one long the old nonsensical bowl system.

I never said Dabo was a mediocre and overrated coach....please show me where I said that. I just said he would not have the success at PSU that he has at Clemson.
I started poking because you claimed to have "evidence" (i.e., "facts") to support your assertion.

Every time you double down asserting an opinion that you think is a well-known, well-established, indisputable fact. As CRM stated earlier, you have zero evidence to support the claim that Sweeney would not be successful in the Big 10. You still don't have any credible evidence or facts to support your opinion.

No real argument except I'd add to this that Penn State's entry into the conference coincided with a rise in its prominence. Throughout the 70's and 80's, The Big Ten largely underperformed. It's almost as though our entry served as a wake-up call. It also at the time opened up new recruiting grounds to Midwestern teams.
As a PSU fan back in the 70 and 80’s, we used to laugh at the Big10’s ineptitude...

I started poking because you claimed to have "evidence" (i.e., "facts") to support your assertion.

Every time you double down asserting an opinion that you think is a well-known, well-established, indisputable fact. As CRM stated earlier, you have zero evidence to support the claim that Sweeney would not be successful in the Big 10. You still don't have any credible evidence or facts to support your opinion.
I listed them, but you seem to just ignore them, so there’s that. How about 90-68-2? That’s the Big 10’s record against the ACC...there’s numerical data showing the Big is better....but probably not good enough for you. And in case you didn’t read carefully enough, I said Swinney wouldn’t be as successful at Penn State as he is at Clemson.

If the BIG were such a superior conference I would expect to see more teams represented in the title game. How many have played for a NC in the last 20 years? One. The other P5 conferences have had multiple teams appearing but the closest the BIG has come to that was a single appearance by MSU in the semi. That pretty much speaks for the strength of the conference.
IMO, there is some truth in that, and then there is also some media bias that is very pro SEC. Multiple appearing team has largely been limited to the SEC. Very good teams, and very good conference cannot argue that fact. But PSU Big10 winning team should have been in, and got the screws. Too much subjectivity with only four slots. You can't be the prom queen if you can't first get on the court.
Have seen multiple articles comparing winning %. OOC wins, NFL draft picks, and NFL players. Big10 is a close second to the SEC as the strongest football conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: AWS1022
Yep.

From a purely potential standpoint, he's got all the tools necessary to be the absolute greatest QB that at least Ohio State has ever had. I can't remember a QB in the Big Ten with his combination of skills.

He definitely holds onto the ball in the pocket too long, and while I don't think his decisionmaking on the whole is poor, he has made some absolutely head-scratching decisions when pressured and flushed out of the pocket. Some of the picks he threw against IU were inexplicable. I really don't know what he saw in some of those throws.

I realize he's going to be a top-5 pick (top-10 at absolute worst), and deservedly so. But I think the gap between he and Trevor Lawrence has widened, and there are some valid causes for concern if I'm an NFL scout.
People forget that Trevor Lawrence had several bad games last year and wasn't even invited to the Heisman presentation. In the semifinal against Clemson, with everything on the line, Fields was 30 for 46 with 320 yards, 1 (very clutch) TD and 2 interceptions. (One the fault of his receiver Olave who broke off his route) Lawrence was 18 for 33 with 259 yards and 2 TDs. Also, Fields moved OSU down the field in the last 1:30. I think most of the issue this year is lack of reps and many new receivers. However, the Northwestern game was not good.

Fields is a really good, mature kid (as opposed to Haskins) who had something like a 3.8 gpa in high school.

Series history:
1978 - Clemson 17, Ohio State 15
2013 - Clemson 40, Ohio State 35
2016 - Clemson 31, Ohio State 0 (ouch)
2019 - Clemson 29, Ohio State 23

Dabo can talk the talk because he walks the walk.
All close games except for 2016. Makes you wonder why Dabo is doing this ? What is the benefit to his team ?
If OSU is a pretender, it will pave the way for Clemson to the title game with probably fewer injuries.
BTW, saw the 1978 game live, including the Woody throat punch.

All close games except for 2016. Makes you wonder why Dabo is doing this ? What is the benefit to his team ?
If OSU is a pretender, it will pave the way for Clemson to the title game with probably fewer injuries.
BTW, saw the 1978 game live, including the Woody throat punch.
Woody was crazy and often classless on the field, but amazing off the field. When the OSU faculty cheated OSU out of a very good chance for a National Championship in 1960 by refusing to let undefeated OSU play in the Rose Bowl Woody, calmed the waters and didn't fight it. Here are a couple of examples:

"One time he was in the shopping center in Upper Arlington [Columbus], and this man came up to him and told him how much he and his wife loved the Buckeyes and how he just wanted to shake his hand. 'Well, where is your wife?' Woody asked him. The man told him she was dying of cancer at Riverside Hospital. That evening, that man went to see his wife, and Woody was already sitting by her bedside. There are hundreds of stories like that. Woody used to just walk the halls at all of the hospitals and drop in to cheer people up -- people he didn't know." [Rex Kern]

And this:

"I skipped class one day, and one of the professors called him. The next day, Woody woke me up and went to class with me -- all day. Can you imagine the kids' reactions to see Woody Hayes walking in and sitting down in their classroom? I told him that I would never miss another class. Coaches today wouldn't do that for you." [Ken Fritz] http://buckeyefansonly.com/woody/woodyquotesandstories.html

In a case of classic irony, the player that Woody classlessly punched lives in Cincinnati.

So we got inept right after joining? Or maybe the conference wasn’t as inept as you thought.
Father Time got our coach like he gets everyone eventually. Look up to age 70, look at Bowden and 70. Curious as to how Saban succeeds then.

Father Time got our coach like he gets everyone eventually. Look up to age 70, look at Bowden and 70. Curious as to how Saban succeeds then.
I think it was a combination of that along with the conference being a little better than we gave it credit for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT