ADVERTISEMENT

Curtis Jacobs

He's much better than that #12 guy who got all the stars and the hype but hasn't done anything of note. Jacobs is so damn quick off the corner and he's much more aggressive toward the ballcarrier. He did get totally confused on that OSU 4th down in the red zone that luckily, Stroud underthrew or else the game would have been out of reach earlier.

To be fair, Smith did have a sack/fumble against Illinois, but yeah, he has not lived up to his potential, .

He's much better than that #12 guy who got all the stars and the hype but hasn't done anything of note. Jacobs is so damn quick off the corner and he's much more aggressive toward the ballcarrier. He did get totally confused on that OSU 4th down in the red zone that luckily, Stroud underthrew or else the game would have been out of reach earlier.

To be fair, Smith did have a sack/fumble against Illinois, but yeah, he has not lived up to his potential, .

I recall a lot of excitement around Brandon Smith as a freshman. Hard hitter with a mean streak. Quick to the ball. What happened?

Here’s McShay on Smith, who he has ranked as the 25th overall prospect. Projected as somewhat of a developing project with high upside, like Oweh.

25. Brandon Smith, ILB, Penn State*​

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 241 | Grade: 87

Smith has ideal size for his position and carries his 241-pound frame well. He shows solid take-on ability, and he can quickly disengage with his sudden and powerful upper body. In run support, he is fast and rangy, making plays in backside pursuit. But he tends to come in a little hot as a tackler at times, missing wrap-up opportunities as a result. He is very good in zone coverage, and his speed and size allow him to match up with most tight ends and running backs -- but he has struggled tracking the ball when trailing the pass-catcher. In short, Smith is a work in progress, but he is consistently one of the fastest players on the field for Penn State. More experience will put him in line to make a big NFL impact. In seven games, Smith has 44 tackles, 6.0 tackles for loss, 2.0 sacks and a forced fumble.

Smith is a hitter - needs to learn to stay put and read a play. Needs to wrap up more. He’s still all instinct and has shown flashes of that 5* talent. Also showboats a lot after plays. If he can settle he could be great. But Jacobs is way ahead as a football player and he had a 5* composite ranking on 247.

Smith has some wheels. He and Porter ran down the OSU WR #11 on the pass TCF whiffed and Brown took the wrong angle.

But he can't shed OL blocks at all.

You do realize Jacobs was the 36th highest rated prospect in the country? Sorry if that doesn’t fit your narrative but it shows yours ignorance.

Reactions: NJPSU
Here’s McShay on Smith, who he has ranked as the 25th overall prospect. Projected as somewhat of a developing project with high upside, like Oweh.

Smith has ideal size for his position and carries his 241-pound frame well. He shows solid take-on ability, and he can quickly disengage with his sudden and powerful upper body. In run support, he is fast and rangy, making plays in backside pursuit. But he tends to come in a little hot as a tackler at times, missing wrap-up opportunities as a result. He is very good in zone coverage, and his speed and size allow him to match up with most tight ends and running backs -- but he has struggled tracking the ball when trailing the pass-catcher. In short, Smith is a work in progress, but he is consistently one of the fastest players on the field for Penn State. More experience will put him in line to make a big NFL impact. In seven games, Smith has 44 tackles, 6.0 tackles for loss, 2.0 sacks and a forced fumble.
the part of "He shows solid take-on ability, and he can quickly disengage with his sudden and powerful upper body."...is an utter joke...he's one of the worst PSU LB's at this particular skill set i have ever seen...and yes, he does seem to avoid contact, unless he has a running free shot at an unexpecting QB, RB, WR...then he looks like a monster

Last edited:
Jacobs had just as many "stars and hype" as #12 Smith.

Reactions: NJPSU

What does he know? Most NFL scouts get their advice from the idiots on this board.

Yep, and Hardy was given the last scholarship in his class.

After he dominated on both sides of the ball for Penn Hills in the H.S. playoffs....
Hardy is all football player. I rememeber the first time I saw him make a play. He went after it with confidence. I was shocked that he was that good.

Reactions: MacNit07
You do realize Jacobs was the 36th highest rated prospect in the country? Sorry if that doesn’t fit your narrative but it shows yours ignorance.
Where in my post was I criticizing Jacobs's ability? I observed that he got confused on the OSU 4th down play and I commented that he's better than what Brandon Smith gives us.

Hardy is all football player. I rememeber the first time I saw him make a play. He went after it with confidence. I was shocked that he was that good.
I believe he had a state playoff game where he scored a bunch of TD's a bunch of ways. INT return, catch, run, kick return?, .....

Last edited:

Ahhh, they were both 4* - 6.0 rated kids.

Agree…Will be a good one!
Brandon Smith is a 5star bust!

he is a coward for how he tries to shoulder tackle and miss everything!

Katshir doesn’t have smith’s athletic ability but at least he gives 100%

Yep he play a lot like Marcus Allen always going for the knockout blow and not wrapping up. I wonder where good old Marcus is doing these days??? Oh, wait he is currently playing LB for the Steelers.

Agree…Will be a good one!
Brandon Smith is a 5star bust!

he is a coward for how he tries to shoulder tackle and miss everything!

Katshir doesn’t have smith’s athletic ability but at least he gives 100%
Smith is a bust. He can't shed blocks. He has open field explosiveness , but that is all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT