ADVERTISEMENT

Curious quote about Tom Izzo

Player2BNamedL8r

Jan 3, 2012
RI
From a Yahoo article I will not link...

One of the frustrating parts of Izzo not answering key questions is that he has a reputation for being honest and principled. There’s a good chance he can provide a reasonable explanation for his actions and decisions.

So Tom Izzo’s reputation is so sterling that we should believe whatever he says, but JoePa’s word - after 6+ decades of service - was shit! Really??!!!??

One of the frustrating parts of Izzo not answering key questions is that he has a reputation for being honest and principled. There’s a good chance he can provide a reasonable explanation for his actions and decisions.

So Tom Izzo’s reputation is so sterling that we should believe whatever he says, but JoePa’s word - after 6+ decades of service - was shit! Really??!!!??

I think you can bank on Izzo getting several warnings from university council this past week about how he answers questions and to steer clear of any specifics. He's in a no win situation at the podium. Try to be reasonable and he'll end up sounding insensitive. Deflect and he'll be seen as admitting guilt. Media will try to twist any word from his mouth into the worst case scenario regardless.

I think you can bank on Izzo getting several warnings from university council this past week about how he answers questions and to steer clear of any specifics. He's in a no win situation at the podium. Try to be reasonable and he'll end up sounding insensitive. Deflect and he'll be seen as admitting guilt. Media will try to twist any word from his mouth into the worst case scenario regardless.
Yep. From what I read izzo is worse off than dantonio here, but unless he just wants up blowing his top and confessing like nathan jessup in a few good men, these questions are largely useless.

I don’t care what he says or doesn’t say....the tone of that quote suggests that based on Izzo’s history, he deserves the benefit of doubt, whereas Joe’s reputation had earned him no such favor. I just don’t get that.

made no sense that his answer to any question at all involving this whole mess would have been something along the lines that he is answering only basketball related questions and has been advised that he cannot discuss the ongoing MSU issues. who would have questioned that.

I don’t care what he says or doesn’t say....the tone of that quote suggests that based on Izzo’s history, he deserves the benefit of doubt, whereas Joe’s reputation had earned him no such favor. I just don’t get that.
Totally agree...but if I am Izzo and MSU, I mention that I am completely disgusted by the whole mess but that, in the current environment, you are being asked that all further comment go through MSU's public relations department. It is just way too sensitive of a topic to have a basketball coach being the voice of MSU. Your heart goes out to the victims and you don't want to say the wrong thing that someone may feel is hurtful.

Joe didn't even get the opportunity to speak on his own behalf or get the benefit of an investigation.

Last edited:
made no sense that his answer to any question at all involving this whole mess would have been something along the lines that he is answering only basketball related questions and has been advised that he cannot discuss the ongoing MSU issues. who would have questioned that.
B.S. Dantonio came out with a strong statement that he delivered. Izzo hasn't and has looked sheepish answering. Poor job by communications to not have him prepared. One difference. It is BB season so Izzo is front and center, where Dantonio can go hide for awhile. If Izzo is being honest in his answers, he should not have any issues. As is, he looks bad. I'm not saying he is guilty, but he has not been able to explain his inaction in 2010 and in other instances. He will not be able to avoid questions about the alleged sexual assaults in his program until he addresses them appropriately. Good or bad. Right now it looks like he is in save my ass mode. Even the G league or whatever it is has suspended Walker.

yes he did. His solution was to retire at season's end.

I wouldn't call his press conference being cancelled and being fired over the phone a chance to speak out.. his plan was to retire anyway.. he had cancer and a couple months to live

Reactions: psu7113
yes he did. His solution was to retire at season's end.
According to many people close to the situation, before November 2011 Joe had decided to retire after the season but didn't want a farewell tour. That wasn't his style. It's not accurate to say his solution to the BoT created mass was to retire.

According to many people close to the situation, before November 2011 Joe had decided to retire after the season but didn't want a farewell tour. That wasn't his style. It's not accurate to say his solution to the BoT created mass was to retire.
You are 100% correct. I call into question the use of the term "his solution". It wasn't a solution to the JS situation, although he brought it up when he saw the ship was going down.

B.S. Dantonio came out with a strong statement that he delivered. Izzo hasn't and has looked sheepish answering. Poor job by communications to not have him prepared. One difference. It is BB season so Izzo is front and center, where Dantonio can go hide for awhile. If Izzo is being honest in his answers, he should not have any issues. As is, he looks bad. I'm not saying he is guilty, but he has not been able to explain his inaction in 2010 and in other instances. He will not be able to avoid questions about the alleged sexual assaults in his program until he addresses them appropriately. Good or bad. Right now it looks like he is in save my ass mode. Even the G league or whatever it is has suspended Walker.
My view solely from reading the articles and watching OTL/e60, Izzo has much more to be worried about than dantonio.

Reactions: canuckhal
I’ve had the chance to meet and work with Izzo a couple of times in a former work environment. It’s unfortunate that he’s been put in this position. And with his season still going, he has a press conference after every game where he will have to keep answering the same things over and over again. He tried to say the right thing Friday with his no further comment other than what he had said in his statement at the beginning. Unfortunately, that’s not good enough for the media jackals who want to try every legal case in their eyes only, not the courts’.

What's interesting is Joe answered the real questions under oath...something Izzo has not. Joe said under oath he never was told of Sandusky's deeds prior to McQueary. It's always been interesting that no one gives Joe the benefit of the doubt under oath.

What's interesting is Joe answered the real questions under oath...something Izzo has not. Joe said under oath he never was told of Sandusky's deeds prior to McQueary. It's always been interesting that no one gives Joe the benefit of the doubt under oath.
EXACTLY!!!

It was easier to run with the notion that Joe was “all-powerful” so he must’ve been lying. This, after decades of being the conscience of college football? To this day it makes no sense to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT