ADVERTISEMENT

Country Cupboard Is Closing

• Sad
Reactions: Lion8286
SO SO SO SAD!

With my grandparents living in Williamsport, my great aunt in Lewisburg and PSU season tickets for 25+ years, have been going there from Chicagoland for almost 50 years.

So very sad, breaks my heart.
I live in Wmspt. I usually see a great number of folks wearing PSU gear there. It is especially busy on the PSU game days.

Grew up in Williamsport and loved that buffet back in the day. Best Mac and cheese I’ve ever had. My folks live in Muncy and told me Fry’s Turkey Ranch up 15 near Trout Run may be next?!?! I guess Pudgies may survive them all.

• Sad
Reactions: creamery freak
Grew up in Williamsport and loved that buffet back in the day. Best Mac and cheese I’ve ever had. My folks live in Muncy and told me Fry’s Turkey Ranch up 15 near Trout Run may be next?!?! I guess Pudgies may survive them all.
The world would be better without pudgies.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the space. One article I read yesterday said that there were plans to redevelop but that article had so many typos they could have missed the word "no".

If so getting out now might have been their best move. There is about to be a bypass cutting down on traffic through Lewisburg. Between that and Covid killing the old people bus tours the writing was on the wall.

Reactions: step.eng69
My sister is really bummed about that news. We were talking, it's a restaurant that our parents and we older adults liked but not so much the kids of today. Kids and young adults today want to go to Buffalo Wild Wings or some other chain restaurant. Hopefully Fry's survives but they've cut back on hours and days that they are open.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the space. One article I read yesterday said that there were plans to redevelop but that article had so many typos they could have missed the word "no".

If so getting out now might have been their best move. There is about to be a bypass cutting down on traffic through Lewisburg. Between that and Covid killing the old people bus tours the writing was on the wall.
When is PennDot going to finish that bypass across the river? They poured the east side access years ago, but not much progress has been made since.

When is PennDot going to finish that bypass across the river? They poured the east side access years ago, but not much progress has been made since.
It's supposed to be by summer I believe. Which will cut down on a ton of traffic from Lewisburg all the way to Williamsport

Owners claimed short staffing, rising food costs, supply chain issues. Biden will fix all of that.
Went there today and the place was packed. Our waitress said their biggest issue is finding people to work. Very sad state this country is in today.
When we were leaving the Navy Basketball team was walking in towards the restaurant. I assumed they were playing Bucknell tonight and Ed DeChellis was with them.

Last edited:
My sister is really bummed about that news. We were talking, it's a restaurant that our parents and we older adults liked but not so much the kids of today. Kids and young adults today want to go to Buffalo Wild Wings or some other chain restaurant. Hopefully Fry's survives but they've cut back on hours and days that they are open.
Honestly don't know how many of the old time restaurants and "haunts" survive in the pennsyltucky region of the state. Like you said the youth of today don't want to go to them and the old farts won't be around forever. As of 2020 PA had the 5th total most folks over the age of 65 in the country (9th if you adjust for percentage of population) and if current trends continue I can see more of these kinds of places - and small mountain towns themselves - closing up shop for good.

Honestly don't know how many of the old time restaurants and "haunts" survive in the pennsyltucky region of the state. Like you said the youth of today don't want to go to them and the old farts won't be around forever. As of 2020 PA had the 5th total most folks over the age of 65 in the country (9th if you adjust for percentage of population) and if current trends continue I can see more of these kinds of places - and small mountain towns themselves - closing up shop for good.
PA used to be #2 so its improving! LOL

Well, no one is willing to work anymore, so you can't find employees. And people are afraid to go out. My wife and I were coming across the turnpike a week ago, and stopped in new Stanton, our normal stop, to get something to eat and use the facilities. Couldn't find an open bathroom anywhere. So we stopped for gas, and you couldn't use the bathroom at the gas station! We have come a long way in a year!

Well, no one is willing to work anymore, so you can't find employees. And people are afraid to go out. My wife and I were coming across the turnpike a week ago, and stopped in new Stanton, our normal stop, to get something to eat and use the facilities. Couldn't find an open bathroom anywhere. So we stopped for gas, and you couldn't use the bathroom at the gas station! We have come a long way in a year!
It's not that people don't want to work. When Covid hit, these people found other jobs because they couldn't afford to work at a restaurant anymore. Most of them found better, higher paying jobs and now they aren't going back.

It’s sad more and more as I age (72 in March) that pieces of my life slowly change or completely die off too.

My very great aunt lived in Lewisburg until 1999 when she passed at 105. She almost lived in three different centuries missing that threshold by only a few months. She lived just off the Bucknell campus in her own house since 1939 and when she died was surrounded by students whose parents had bought the houses of all her neighbors.

I visited her the day after my couple of PSU games every year for her last 18 years and we almost always hit CC on Sun for brunch or dinner. She always insisted on standing in line but the hostesses all knew her (it seemed everyone in town knew her) and they always welcomed her and seated us immediately. When we were through she insisted on grabbing a seat in the lobby while encouraging me to take a walk through the gift and flower shops. They’d kid her about the young man on her arm and she’d tell them “I only date younger men, that’s all they are these days”!

My grandparents lived in Williamsport and I went to elementary school there for a year while my Dad served in the US Air Force in Iceland & Germany.

My parents are both now deceased and in urns on my brother’s bookcase in Austin, TX. We hope if Covid permits they will be buried this summer just north of Lewisburg in St John Lutheran Church in Montgomery.

A lot a lot of memories from Central PA despite not actually living in PA since 1959.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT