ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado recruit quits HS football team to prepare for college after 4 games

sss

Jun 5, 2001
  • Wow
Reactions: JimNazium
Not the first one to do this, but maybe the first midseason. Will this type of thing become more popular? For those that played HS football, how would you feel if the best player on your team hung it up in midseason? Would you be cheering for him at the next level?

I’ve seen it happen for a couple kids over the last few years, but never quite this early in the season. I guess it would depend on what that area’s playoff structure is and what kind of team they have around these top players.

One of the kids who I’ve seen do this was actually encouraged by his high school head coach to do it after suffering a small injury in the game. I think that was not until around game eight of the season though and they were already out of playoff contention.

Not the first one to do this, but maybe the first midseason. Will this type of thing become more popular? For those that played HS football, how would you feel if the best player on your team hung it up in midseason? Would you be cheering for him at the next level?

Clearly, he’s free to do so …. and no doubt, more will follow. —Seems like the next iteration after transferring to the school down the road if “ it benefits me” . The concept ( and educational/growth elements) of “team” is being degraded ( no “I” in team?). — The benefits of a purely business/transactional type decision are clear…it benefits the individual, and that’s ok/good. At some point, however, a yellow light ( if not red) needs to be flashing , as character, integrity, loyalty are “back seated” to “me, me, me”. If you don’t learn /appreciate those values at 15,16,17, then it can be reasonably argued that you likely won’t. — I get the “ it’s my future and I’m going to take care of it“ argument , but if schools/and society want to teach service/selflessness ( and they do) , this probably ain’t it. JMO

Last edited:
Reactions: RickinDayton
I’ve seen it happen for a couple kids over the last few years, but never quite this early in the season. I guess it would depend on what that area’s playoff structure is and what kind of team they have around these top players.

One of the kids who I’ve seen do this was actually encouraged by his high school head coach to do it after suffering a small injury in the game. I think that was not until around game eight of the season though and they were already out of playoff contention.
Definitely can see being extra cautious post injury. No reason to hurry back/tempt fate

Then when they get to college they will quit on their team to get ready for the NFL draft. Soon Pop Warner kids will quit their team so they can get ready for HS and start the process.
If the option is bowl game or prep for the draft they should prep for the draft over a scrimmage to get free stuff.

Reactions: bison13
I get it. In football, kids do take cheap shots at the best players on the field.

I understand but I still think it's sad showing a lack of commitment. I guess I'm just old school.
I see that as the season being over and they completed their commitment to the team while giving someone else an opportunity to play in a bowl game that put in work all year and may see value in gaining snaps for the following year.

I don't agree with a HS kid just sitting out 4 games into a season unless there's injury concerns. Just like I wouldn't agree with a college kid doing that. The regular season and a playoff is the commitment necessary for me.

Let’s talk about it incessantly so it gains momentum. Stupid old men

Reactions: hlstone
Let’s talk about it incessantly so it gains momentum. Stupid old men
Good point. I heard the reason for Matt Leinhart's son transferring midseason was because this thread started this morning. Let me guess, you're one of those people that thinks message board talk is what causes one team to beat another. The fans are just as important as the players leading up to game week. Bulletin board material!

More and more effort and focus is being put into getting to be the one to play and play well in college, then play and play well in the NFL. But the number of people that gets to do that stays the same, or perhaps grows very slowly as the number of college and pro football teams grows. So per unit of effort there is less and less return.

It's like if this board was going to create a ten member All-Star poster team for the best posters on this board and everybody posting here decided they really wanted to get on it so everybody started posting more and thinking about what they're going to post and doing research on their posts, yadda, yadda. Yeah, everybody go for it, but it's more and more total effort for the same amount of total return.

It's like if this board was going to create a ten member All-Star poster team for the best posters on this board and everybody posting here decided they really wanted to get on it so everybody started posting more and thinking about what they're going to post and doing research on their posts, yadda, yadda. Yeah, everybody go for it, but it's more and more total effort for the same amount of total return.

I know where I stand. Put me on the side with @Thomas1945 so we can discuss big breasted women and point spreads in barbershops.

Reactions: bison13
concept ( and educational/growth elements) of “team” is being degraded ( no “I” in team?).

They found the I in team.  It's in the A-hole. (2 stories - 3 min read)

They found the "I" in team. It's in the A-hole.​

This Won’t be the last time he’ll quit. He’ll eventually quit on his college team and if he ever makes the pros , he’ll find a reason to quit there too. When you do it once, it’ll be easier to do it again. there’s risks involved with anything, but career ending injuries in high school or bowl games are extremely rare. Sure you can cherry pick this guy or that guy and “Tell that to so-and-so) but it is rare. And these kids do not realize that they will only be playing this sport for a very small fraction of their lives. They should be out there playing and having fun

Reactions: KCLion and AvgUser
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT