ADVERTISEMENT

Football College Football Playoff Announcement / Bowl Games

They lost in October to an undefeated team. Georgia lost in December, in what was effectively a home game (1 hr 21 mins drive time) vs. a team that lost to Texas A&M and should have lost to 6-6 Florida that gave up over 50 points to Samford. Also, ND beat Ga. Tech 55-0 a week before LSU beat them 45-0.

Effectively a home game? That crowd was very near 50-50. Have you seen Alabama's record in Atlanta?

And losing in December in the SEC title game to the Nick Saban-led #3 team trumps a loss AT HOME in October to Cincinnati. No question about it.

If we're going down this "Alabama could have lost to X, Y, and Z" route, let's play that game with ND.

ND ALMOST LOST TO TOLEDO!!!

If you're going to use the transitive property -- Alabama almost lost to Florida, who almost lost to Samford -- get a load of this. ND almost lost to FSU, who LOST TO JACKSONVILLE STATE.

No sour grapes, honestly, but none of those games are overly compelling. Will probably watch the Rose Bowl, in large part because of the setting and because games from the Rose Bowl just look really good on TV. Not sure what it is. Must be the location of the cameras.

Baylor versus Ole Miss in the Sugar is a total snoozer.

Ohio State versus Utah in the Rose is underwhelming and anticlimactic. I mean, who really cares.

Pitt versus Michigan State is intriguing. We'll get a chance to find out about the claims of some that Pitt would be an after-thought in the high-and-mighty B1G.

Notre Dame versus Oklahoma State has an interesting intersectional flavor. The Irish against what still might be the best team in the Big-12 this year, which may not be saying a lot but still.

Ohio State versus Utah in the Rose is underwhelming and anticlimactic. I mean, who really cares.

Pitt versus Michigan State is intriguing. We'll get a chance to find out about the claims of some that Pitt would be an after-thought in the high-and-mighty B1G.

Notre Dame versus Oklahoma State has an interesting intersectional flavor. The Irish against what still might be the best team in the Big-12 this year, which may not be saying a lot but still.
Not many good matchups IMO. No one cares about Baylor/ Mississippi. Ohio St will likely roll Utah. Not impressed with Oklahoma St recently. I could see ND winning that game easily.

Reactions: Jerry
Georgia played the easiest schedule of any top 15 team not named Cincinnati. There is no denying it.
When ND lost to Cincy they lost any chance that had of being in the playoff. It doesn't help that they don't plan a conference championship game so they have one less chance to lose.

The Pitt/MSU game could be a snoozer depending on who decides to sit out.

Reactions: Jerry
Committee fails, totally avoiding the SEC replay.

UMich’s Nov was much more impressive than ‘Bama’s.

Should have 1) UMich vs 4) Cincy

And 2) ‘Bama vs 3) Georgia
Michigan can’t be appointed NC like they were back when college guys wore bowlers to watch football games. They’ve got to go past the 2 toughest teams.

Boring. Hard to believe that we wanted a CFP for years, and then when it finally happened it was never, ever remotely interesting. The only year that was even a little bit interesting was 2015
I’m just glad teams like Texas 69, BYU 1984, Michigan and ND (name the year) don’t just get handed championships

Reactions: Option Bob

I think PITT will beat MSU.

If you don't WIN your conference you don't belong in the playoff. Georgia had a great season and they are a good team but they lost their conference. Why should Alabama possibly have to beat them again. I'd rather see Baylor over Georgia. WINNING should matter.

If I ran the world it would be 8 conference WINNERS in an 8 team playoff. No "wildcards".

If you don't WIN your conference you don't belong in the playoff. Georgia had a great season and they are a good team but they lost their conference. Why should Alabama possibly have to beat them again. I'd rather see Baylor over Georgia. WINNING should matter.

If I ran the world it would be 8 conference WINNERS in an 8 team playoff. No "wildcards".
That's fine but if this is the way it will work, all conferences will re-do their alignments and schedules first. Things aren't apples to apples across the country. Plus all conferences need to play the same number of conference games.

Right now, it's the best 4 teams. No way Baylor, Pitt and Utah fall into that category.

You're saying Oklahoma State is more deserving of a playoff bid than Georgia? The Oklahoma State that lost to Iowa State?

Dude.......LOL.
I think he meant the Oklahoma State team that had 7 - I repeat 7 chances to score from the 1 and couldn’t - the last with the game on the line so spare me - you would think his hole deep enough already - time to stop digg8ng.

Well I think UNTIL conferences are re-aligned (same number of teams)…..8 x 8 or 4 x 16…..and teams play every team in their conference equally and all play the same number of conference games, conference championships shouldn’t be the sole qualifier.

I’m glad you don’t run the world where rewards are dictated by a quota system and not results.

Your world would also ignore the results of 25-33% of teams games.

Besides that, you state “winning should matter”. The fact is the we’re more weeks when Baylor played that they didn’t win than for UGA.

If you truly cared about winning, the above would mean something.

No team that evades a championship game shoukd ever be on the playoffs.
Why should participation in a system to determine the top team in the nation be based on your personal criteria which is based on a 67-75% of games on a regional basis?

Shouldn’t it be 100% of games in the nation?

I’m glad you don’t run the world where rewards are dictated by a quota system and not results.

Your world would also ignore the results of 25-33% of teams games.

Besides that, you state “winning should matter”. The fact is the we’re more weeks when Baylor played that they didn’t win than for UGA.

If you truly cared about winning, the above would mean something.
Georgia already lost to Alabama. They lost their conference. A team with one loss in conference A isn't necessarily better than a team with 2 losses in conference B. Assuming that it is nothing more than the so called eye test. Win your conference and move on. Lose your conference and you're out. As good as Georgia is they failed to win the conference. I seem to remember a team that won it's conference and didn't get invited but the team they beat who didn't even win the division was.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
Georgia already lost to Alabama. They lost their conference. A team with one loss in conference A isn't necessarily better than a team with 2 losses in conference B. Assuming that it is nothing more than the so called eye test. Win your conference and move on. Lose your conference and you're out. As good as Georgia is they failed to win the conference. I seem to remember a team that won it's conference and didn't get invited but the team they beat who didn't even win the division was.
Hence it is a 4 team Invitational of teams the committee wants to see. It’s not a playoff. Never has been. Until conference winners are included automatically it is anything but a playoff.

Don't agree with that position at all. How does MeatChicken beating a grossly overrated Iowa team (grossly overrated even all the way down at #13 in last week's CFP Rankings) is more impressive than Alabama beating the undefeated and #1 CFP Ranked team coming into this week????

You're on some serious delusional "b1g homer" cool-aide if you seriously believe this!

Beyond that, if you really believe Meat is so much better than Bama, they should have no problem dismantling UGa just as Alabama just did.

The reality is that UGa is going to beat Meat handily as they match up with UGa terribly - Bama did not beat UGa's nation's best defense with the run, they beat them via the pass. Meat is not going to run the ball with sustained success against UGa and Meat's passing attack is not even remotely comparable to Bama's (who has one of the best, if not the best, passing attacks and QBs in the Country. ).

Last edited:
Georgia already lost to Alabama.
So? I hope you don’t think it is better to lose more often to worse teams.
A team with one loss in conference A isn't necessarily better than a team with 2 losses in conference B. Assuming that it is nothing more than the so called eye test.
Well, 1 loss is better than 2. That is a fact. If you want to try and belittle it by calling it eye test, have st it.

It sure beats a quota system that assumes everything is equal when it isn’t.

Win your conference and move on.
You did not, and have not, addressed ignoring the results of 25-33% of games. That isn’t a well thought out plan.
I seem to remember a team that won it's conference and didn't get invited but the team they beat who didn't even win the division was.
This tired whine some more? Yes, for the 75% of the regional schedule that was the B1G, tOSU should have been behind PSU.

But, for the 100% of the national schedule, tOSU deserved in front of PSU.

Besides, PSU LOST the Rose Bowl to a 3-loss team. All they missed out on was a participation trophy. It’s something pathetic to complain about 5 years later.

Not many good matchups IMO. No one cares about Baylor/ Mississippi. Ohio St will likely roll Utah. Not impressed with Oklahoma St recently. I could see ND winning that game easily.
I'm not so sure Ohio St rolls Utah. They just blew out Oregon 2X in the last 3 games.

There aren't going to be many intriguing bowl matchups with the top 4 getting invitational bids. The rest of the top bowls are stuck with whatever is left. Plus the conference affiliations for each bowl limits who they can chose.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Effectively a home game? That crowd was very near 50-50. Have you seen Alabama's record in Atlanta?

And losing in December in the SEC title game to the Nick Saban-led #3 team trumps a loss AT HOME in October to Cincinnati. No question about it.

If we're going down this "Alabama could have lost to X, Y, and Z" route, let's play that game with ND.

ND ALMOST LOST TO TOLEDO!!!

If you're going to use the transitive property -- Alabama almost lost to Florida, who almost lost to Samford -- get a load of this. ND almost lost to FSU, who LOST TO JACKSONVILLE STATE.
I know from spending a week or two down there Tide fans are everywhere. I was being a bit facetious. I don't really think Notre Dame belonged, but they actually did seem to improve as the year went on unlike a lot of teams.

Seriously? No one gave Bama a chance.Most folks were crowning UGA as champs once OSU was eliminated. Then number 3 Bama destroys the invincible Ga. defense. Of course they would move to number 1.

Georgia is 3-1 against ranked teams.

Exactly, how exactly do these Meat dorks figure they played this super difficult schedule and UGa played a super weak one when UGa has more wins against teams ranked in the final CFP Rankings (3) than scUM does (2)???

So? I hope you don’t think it is better to lose more often to worse teams.

Well, 1 loss is better than 2. That is a fact. If you want to try and belittle it by calling it eye test, have st it.

It sure beats a quota system that assumes everything is equal when it isn’t.

You did not, and have not, addressed ignoring the results of 25-33% of games. That isn’t a well thought out plan.

This tired whine some more? Yes, for the 75% of the regional schedule that was the B1G, tOSU should have been behind PSU.

But, for the 100% of the national schedule, tOSU deserved in front of PSU.

Besides, PSU LOST the Rose Bowl to a 3-loss team. All they missed out on was a participation trophy. It’s something pathetic to complain about 5 years later.
That 3l loss rose bowl team proved it was better than osu too'

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT