ADVERTISEMENT

College FB's Top Workout Warriors

LafayetteBear

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2009
SIAP. Thought this list (see link below) was interesting, and it includes some guys with amazing measurables.

The author (Bruce Feldman) has not yet provided his Top 10;. (I'm guessing that will be published soon.) The list goes only from No. 40 through No. 11. Gesicki checks in at No. 13. My guess is that Saquon will be well within the Top 10.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/07/06/freaks-list-workout-warriors-2017-part-2

Barkley is in Bo Jackson/Herschel Walker territory.

Who can lift those kinds of weights and still run a sub 4.4 forty?

Reactions: LafayetteBear
Barkley is in Bo Jackson/Herschel Walker territory.

Who can lift those kinds of weights and still run a sub 4.4 forty?
Interesting that you compare Saquan to Herschel. Very different eras and very different players, of course, but a colleague who was Herschel's teammate at Georgia said he was a nicer version of Superman. Just a great guy. They certainly seem to have that in common.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I made the mistake of clicking on the video clip :(. It doth appear that SI is getting ready to 'Ki-Jana/LJ" Saquon in case Barkley does have the year we expect. The clown on the L (Pete) asks the prisspot on the R (Colin) whom he thought would drop out of the top 10 Heisman race by the end of the year. Immediately, the Colin blurts out "Saquon Barkley." Then Colin precedes to "challenge" the idea that Saquon is the best RB in the country.

Why? Apparently, this year's criterion will be yards-per-carry." Last year, Saquon's was only 5.5 while the LSU RB had a "ridiculous 7.6". Hmmm. In 1994, Carter's 7.8 and in '02 Johnson's 7.7 were apparently not quite as ridiculous as 7.6. While I don't really care about the Heisman, I do find it bizarre how the talking heads go to such great lengths to diminish a Penn State player's achievements.

Whether it's Carter's "didn't get the mandatory 2000 yards" [a stat ruled meaningless in 2002] or Johnson's "he didn't rush for enough yards against everybody" [a stat ruled meaningless for Ricky Williams], there is always a catch for a Nittany Lion back. With Trace, it's "he just throws up jump balls"; when a 6'4" QB from anywhere else does that, he's "putting the ball where his guy can go get it."

Just keep the flukey stuff coming, boys.[/quote]

Last edited:
I made the mistake of clicking on the video clip :(. It doth appear that SI is getting ready to 'Ki-Jana/LJ" Saquon in case Barkley does have the year we expect. The clown on the L (Pete) asks the prisspot on the R (Colin) whom he thought would drop out of the top 10 Heisman race by the end of the year. Immediately, the Colin blurts out "Saquon Barkley." Then Colin precedes to "challenge" the idea that Saquon is the best RB in the country.

Why? Apparently, this year's criterion will be yards-per-carry." Last year, Saquon's was only 5.5 while the LSU RB had a "ridiculous 7.6". Hmmm. In 1994, Carter's 7.8 and in '02 Johnson's 7.7 were apparently not quite as ridiculous as 7.6. While I don't really care about the Heisman, I do find it bizarre how the talking heads go to such great lengths to diminish a Penn State player's achievements.

Whether it's Carter's "didn't get the mandatory 2000 yards" [a stat ruled meaningless in 2002] or Johnson's "he didn't rush for enough yards against everybody" [a stat ruled meaningless for Ricky Williams], there is always a catch for a Nittany Lion back. With Trace, it's "he just throws up jump balls"; when a 6'4" QB from anywhere else does that, he's "putting the ball where his guy can go get it."

Just keep the flukey stuff coming, boys.
[/QUOTE]

They weren't taking into account how many runs Barkley had, where he basically had highlight reel runs, just to gain 2 or 3 yards. With an improved offensive line this year, with a good blend of experience and talent, that yards per carry average stands a great chance to improve.

Reactions: LafayetteBear

Yeah, the video section was disappointing; not sure if it was anti-PSU as much as the guys didn't know what they were talking about, or had seen very little actual PSU action. It didn't occur to them that Saquon's YPC figures were impacted by stacked defenses and a not great offensive line, which was further affected by injury and position changes. I fully expect Saquon to have more running room and fewer hits behind the line of scrimmage; in which case, his YPC will improve.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT