ADVERTISEMENT

College bowl game administration: It’s great work, if you can get it

vader_psu

May 29, 2001
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...185336-2219-11ea-86f3-3b5019d451db_story.html

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — He claimed to be one of the busiest people in college football this month. But at 9:30 one December morning, on a day he had said he couldn’t possibly find time to talk, Wright Waters waved a reporter inside.

“Alright, I can give you 30 minutes, as long as you don’t mind interruptions,” said Waters, executive director of the Football Bowl Association, a little-known trade association that works on behalf of the 40 games that cap each college football season.

Waters, 70, made $205,000 last year to run the FBA, whose $800,000 in revenue comes from a combination of annual dues from bowls and a trade show each April. He is the FBA’s lone full-time employee, and he works from his stately, brown brick home on the shore of Lake Tuscaloosa.

LOL

That's chump change (of course, based on his workload, that's probably one hell of an hourly rate :) )…… some of the ass clowns who run the various "Bowl Committees" (or whatever the hell they call them nowadays) - who now do effectively NOTHING - pull down $1,000,000 or more.

"Amateur Athletics" LOL

that kind of comp seems out of line with the position. this is a glorified project manager/salesman.

Reactions: gslachta
This guy could make a helluva lot more than that with that job. Revenues of 800k? Meh.

Used-Cars-Kurt-Russell-1980-comedy-movie.jpg

I remembering attending frat parties with bowl officials "back in the day". Not a bad gig.

How about the PSU over FSU triple overtime win in the Orange Bowl?

Or the PSU over Tennessee come from behind win in the 92 Fiesta Bowl??

Did these people even try???

How about the PSU over FSU triple overtime win in the Orange Bowl?

Or the PSU over Tennessee come from behind win in the 92 Fiesta Bowl??

Did these people even try???
Agreed, and the Sugar Bowl win over GA. If the damn Alamo bowl of TCU vs Oregon deserves a higher rank than Penn St v Miami in the Fiesta, I’ll smear sh!t on my living room walls.

Reactions: ralphster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT