ADVERTISEMENT

Colin Kaepernick makes surprise appearance at 'Unthanksgiving Day' on Alcatraz (link)

To save you from having to click on this BS.

Colin Kaepernick made a surprise appearance at the Alcatraz Indigenous People's Sunrise Gathering on Thursday.

A tradition since 1975, the annual dawn festivities, also known as Unthanksgiving Day, commemorate the 1969-71 occupation of Alcatraz by American Indians, during which 89 American Indian activists and leaders occupied the island and former penitentiary with the demands that it be turned into an Indian cultural center and school.

Between traditional dancing and speeches, Kaepernick delivered a message of resistance and hope to the thousands gathered on the island:

"I realize that our fight is the same fight. We're all fighting for our justice, for our freedom, and realizing that we're in this fight together makes it all the more powerful.

If there's one thing that I take away from today and seeing the beauty of everybody out here, it's that we're only getting stronger every day, we're only getting larger and larger every day. I see the strength in everybody.

The dancing, the rituals – that is our resistance. We continue to fight. We continue to fight for justice. We fight for our freedom, and we continue on that path."

The football star's words were met with cheers and applause before the ceremony continued into the early morning hours as the sun began to rise over the island.

Kaepernick remains an unsigned free agent.

Michelle Robertson is an SFGATE staff writer. Email her at mrobertson@sfchronicle.com or find her on Twitter at @mrobertsonsf.

"We fight for our freedom, and we continue on that path."
Fight for their freedom? That's an odd quote from CK considering the event was held on federal property and all people involved had the freedom to go there. They also have the freedom to leave when they're finished.

Reactions: hilo and psu7113
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT