ADVERTISEMENT

Coerced Portal

psulongago

Aug 29, 2001
The players leaving were generally highly rated but did not seem to have a future with the team. In the past we heard other schools "processed" players; essentially to save spots. Could that be the case here and how much will PSU assist in finding another home? I was excited when these players committed and wish them luck. Franklin seems to be building a coaching tree; think this just makes it easier to attract top assistants.

Franklin, like coaches in nearly any college, will tell players where they stand and what they need to do better. When a player realizes he isn’t likely to play much, he considers his options. If that’s ‘processing’ I have no problem with it.
"son, I suggest you grow 5 inches and gain 75 lbs. I know you were recruited as a 5-11 195 lb CB but needs have changed. And next year, we'll need DTs so add another 35 lbs to that. Now go report to the nutritionist".

Reactions: fkkkjm
Franklin, like coaches in nearly any college, will tell players where they stand and what they need to do better. When a player realizes he isn’t likely to play much, he considers his options. If that’s ‘processing’ I have no problem with it.
That is probably what is happening. I too am fine with that process.

Reactions: m48tank
This happens every year in every sport. Fall baseball rosters are 40+ and kids are getting cut at the end of September to get down to 35.

I am amazed at the number of parents and kids who still believe they have 4 year scholarships.

An honest evaluation should be expected. Telling a kid something probably already knows is fine. But if a kid doesn’t want to transfer because he loves the school....or this school is one of the few with the major/study course he wants.......or would lose credits in a transfer....or his girlfriend is there.....or ........he should stay and keep his scholly as long as he still practices with the team.

Yup. The devil is in the details. Big difference between telling a kid where he is on the depth chart and what his prospects are, and letting him consider his options, and telling a kid he no longer has a schollie, as we used to hear at Clemson and some SEC schools. Who knows how Franklin does it.
The portal, frankly, has made it easy for a kid to make the "process" decison himself. He gets told he is unlikely to play and knows he can enter the portal, find a new school, and play right away. It's not like the old days - 2018 - when a transfer was difficult, involved sitting a year, and was likely difficult to get the word out to a wide array of school that might have interest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT