ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Franklin has been sand bagging our next three opponents

Marylovesthelions

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
This is my opinion. He alluded to new wrinkles after the bye week. IMHO, the lions will have a solution to the 8 in the box and blitzing to control Saquon and sack Mc Sorley more often. His comments about not moving OL players seem lame. Injuries caused constant shuffling last year and our OL was much more effective the last six 2016 games than the first six 2017 games. Look fir changes if Wright is not 100%.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
Shouldn't surprise anyone that a coach would hold something back for the meat of his schedule. Not suggesting it should be an excuse...just not uncommon to see good teams save their A games for their toughest opponents.

This is my opinion. He alluded to new wrinkles after the bye week. IMHO, the lions will have a solution to the 8 in the box and blitzing to control Saquon and sack Mc Sorley more often. His comments about not moving OL players seem lame. Injuries caused constant shuffling last year and our OL was much more effective the last six 2016 games than the first six 2017 games. Look fir changes if Wright is not 100%.
Whether it is personnel moves, new schemes, or tendencies, I hope there is some improvement in the o line blocking and run game... I’m afraid that sandbagging isn’t the case. Surely, there may have been phases of the offense that they were waiting for the bye week to implement, but I can’t believe that there were plays in the back pocket that Moorhead wouldn’t have used. I think the benefit to practicing these plays in real game situations would far exceed any benefit based upon surprise. A given play is only a surprise the first time you run it, and then it is out there.

Probably my favorite complete homer thing to say when you think the team should be doing better. Obviously we are saving everything for Mich and OSU. LOL.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
It seems like every year we get to this point in the season (pre OSU/ UM) and this same thing gets said over and over. They may have a trick play in the wings but I do not see any 'holding back' or substantial changes compared with the last few weeks.

Shouldn't surprise anyone that a coach would hold something back for the meat of his schedule. Not suggesting it should be an excuse...just not uncommon to see good teams save their A games for their toughest opponents.
Probably my favorite complete homer thing to say when you think the team should be doing better. Obviously we are saving everything for Mich and OSU. LOL.
Right, not to mention almost lose to Iowa to protect what we have in store for the second half opponents ...

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
It was stupid when Pitt fans said Narduzzi held everything back against YSU and it's equally as stupid to think our staff has been holding anything back for Michigan and OSU.

It was stupid when Pitt fans said Narduzzi held everything back against YSU and it's equally as stupid to think our staff has been holding anything back for Michigan and OSU.

I agree that they weren't holding back but, I do think they'll adapt to the hard DE rush on the Trace / Barkley read handoff. The DE or blitzer has been crashing hard right on Barkley regardless if Trace hands it off or keeps it.

Reactions: rem524
I like the fact we have been rotating so many DL that many have good experience and are playing well and it gives the opportunity to keep guys fresh

All 3 game plans are installed, on that you can count. I don't know if anyone is "holding" anything back, but Franklin and this staff has the gameplan ready for all 3 games. Fortunately, they are played one game at a time. Let's enjoy tomorrows' games and look for blueprints and possible inroads for Michigan when they play Indiana, with another eye out for how Nebraska schemes for Ohio st. I think Minny gives Sparty all they want for the record.

I loved what Syracuse was doing against Clemson. They would stagger tempo, they ran screens, then had corner routes based off of those screens. They actually ran up the middle from the shotgun on those Big Daddy's as the game wore on, by speeding up tempo early, then altering tempo, so that Clemson couldn't sub in. Dino had a terrific game plan and that game plan has items that we can use against the big daddy's of both Mich. and Ohio st. Bye weeks are for LEARNING.

Reactions: Cpeplion
That's good to hear....and when you aren't paying attention MSU will come up and smack you in the mouth on November 4th. That will be a much tougher game for PSU than UM will.

He has had the OL not hold blocks just to throw off the second half opponents.
Yup, no problem. Great strategy turning a preseason Heisman candidate into a blitzing target on the right side to throw off the better teams. Much better training than leaving him open to hits on the blind side. And if the lack of protection would have knocked Trace out entirely or possibly resulted in a loss to Iowa, that would have thrown off our biggest competition even more. It’s like the rope-a-dope in college football.

What does Ray say?

If there's one thing I've learned after watching decades of football, no one holds anything back. Maybe a trick play here or there but that's about it.

Ummmm- I doubt it.

We'll know in three weeks time.

If there's one thing I've learned after watching decades of football, no one holds anything back. Maybe a trick play here or there but that's about it.
Sometimes it's not even an additional play, but rather running the same plays out of different formations. Remember, a play or 2 in a close game can be the difference in the outcome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT