ADVERTISEMENT

Clint Hurdle says Pittsburgh will explode!

nittany dave

Dec 1, 2001
Pirates manager Clint Hurdle says Pittsburgh will explode when the Pirates when the World Series. The only explosion will be in the stalls of the Pirates locker room the morning after they have Mexican for dinner the night before.

Reactions: fairgambit
web-antipsycho-drugs-getty-DONTUSEAGAIN.jpg

Reactions: nittany dave
In the spirit of the Olympics, Eddie the Eagle had a better chance of winning the 90m ski jump than the Pirates do of winning the World Series. Clint is happy to have a job where the expectations from management are low and he can coast into retirement without having to put in a lot of effort.

He's honestly an idiot and annoying. His fake positivity has reach new unbearable levels. Stop paying games...acknowledge what is.
In defense of Hurdle, what exactly is he supposed to say? He's the coach of the team and that comes with the territory.

Reactions: fairgambit
He's honestly an idiot and annoying. His fake positivity has reach new unbearable levels. Stop paying games...acknowledge what is.
That's a valid point, and I remember feeling the same way about Chuck Tanner towards the end. That positivism plays well when you're winning -- like in '79 -- but not when you're trying to blow smoke up people's rears about the likes of Dale Berra and Manny Sarmiento, or their modern-day counterparts Jordan Luplow and Daniel Hudson.

I fully expect the Buccos to explode with mediocrity!

Did you ever see the movie "Awakenings," with DeNiro and Robin Williams? The DeNiro character is in a coma. Williams character administers a med that brings him out of it ...he's "alive" again for a few days / weeks, then the effects wear off and he sadly goes back into the coma. Good analogy for the post-Bonds/Bonilla/VanSlyke Pirates. I think they're pretty sleepy now.

Weird pairing of stars, but actually a good movie.

In the spirit of the Olympics, Eddie the Eagle had a better chance of winning the 90m ski jump than the Pirates do of winning the World Series. Clint is happy to have a job where the expectations from management are low and he can coast into retirement without having to put in a lot of effort.

My brain almost exploded when they gave Hurdle a 4 year extension after last year.
He is a pitiful excuse for a manager.

Pirates manager Clint Hurdle says Pittsburgh will explode when the Pirates when the World Series. The only explosion will be in the stalls of the Pirates locker room the morning after they have Mexican for dinner the night before.
Clint's talking to the 486 people who actually buy season tickets to see the Pirates loose.

Clint is right. The Pittsburgh baseball fans will explode around the All Star break when the Pirates are mired in last place and 25 games behind the Cubs. The Pirates have no chance unless they get a sugar daddy owner who will plow a half billion dollars into the team so they can compete with the big boys. Baseball is the only major pro sport without a salary cap. That is a killer for small market teams with little revenue compared to the big market teams. The Pirates success for a 2-3 year span recently was total luck. They fell into a few good seasons with some lucky trades and lucky draft picks. Their luck has run out.

In defense of Hurdle, what exactly is he supposed to say? He's the coach of the team and that comes with the territory.

That he understands that challenges that lie ahead for this team and he's committed to achieving the best possible performance as we continue to build for the future. A future that he hopes to be a part of. No one, including any person on that team, has any delusions of this team being good. Comments like he made aren't going to go over well with a fan base that understands he's full of shit. I'm tired of the lies from the organization and from him. Be upfront and honest with us and fans won't react as angrily as they have.

Reactions: yeahtoasty
Yeah Let me know when Elvis leaves the building.

Clint is right. The Pittsburgh baseball fans will explode around the All Star break when the Pirates are mired in last place and 25 games behind the Cubs. The Pirates have no chance unless they get a sugar daddy owner who will plow a half billion dollars into the team so they can compete with the big boys. Baseball is the only major pro sport without a salary cap. That is a killer for small market teams with little revenue compared to the big market teams. The Pirates success for a 2-3 year span recently was total luck. They fell into a few good seasons with some lucky trades and lucky draft picks. Their luck has run out.
The current ownership is making good money while losing so why would they sell? I believe its a matter of economics and enjoyment of ownership which won't end until they/he is gone,really gone and the heirs cash in on a sale. Or if he gets a large enough offer and who is going to do that, Ron Howard & Friends?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT