ADVERTISEMENT

CLE Plain Dealer compares white out to cult (KKK) of Joebots

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
He doesn't say KKK, but it is his clear reference. The article is in reference to the double OT victory by tOSU that led to their Championship. (no reference to two of the worst calls in NCAA history on the dropped INT and FG four seconds after time expired):

No. 1: 2014 -- Ohio State 31, Penn State 24, 2OTs

This was The Game, with apologies to the Michigan rivalry.

It was played on the road, at night, in mammoth Beaver Stadium, which in its "White Out" looked either like a convention of ghosts or of cultists waiting for the Mothership to take them to Alpha Centauri.

Given all the Joebots who still defend the disgraced Joe Paterno, I go with the latter.​

The first time Ohio State played at Penn State in the Big Ten era, I was sitting a few seats away from Bill Livingston in the press box, but I didn't know who he was. Just before halftime, he was loudly talking to the guy next to him and wondering what Penn State fans through about joining the league. At halftime, I walked over to him and told him what I thought was the consensus among PSU fans. He didn't say a word to me and gave me a "who the f* do you think you are talking to ME?" look.

The only other times I experienced that behavior from someone during 40 years in the press box was from Sally Jenkins and from some blogger from ESPN during the Nebraska game after Joe was fired.

That's pretty funny. Does that idiot from Ahia realize that colleges all over the country now do White Outs? (Pretty sure PSU was the first, though.)

[QUOTE="which in its "White Out" looked either like a convention of ghosts or of cultists waiting for the Mothership to take them to Alpha Centauri.

Given all the Joebots who still defend the disgraced Joe Paterno, I go with the latter.​
[/QUOTE]

This is so stupid I just assumed it was written by davy jones.

Tosu athletic supporters are, by contrast, not the slightest bit culty.

d46405563a817c7c1a8f42e4eeb8e223.jpg

As I recall, Livingston once worked for the Inky and was a PSU beat writer. That's likely where his dislike for PSU came from. Wouldn't surprise me if he was one of those guys who broke the "off the record" story that had Paterno so ticked off.

Reactions: kevin310
He doesn't say KKK, but it is his clear reference. The article is in reference to the double OT victory by tOSU that led to their Championship. (no reference to two of the worst calls in NCAA history on the dropped INT and FG four seconds after time expired):

It was played on the road, at night, in mammoth Beaver Stadium, which in its "White Out" looked either like a convention of ghosts or of cultists waiting for the Mothership to take them to Alpha Centauri.

Why are you trying to fabricate a KKK reference. The KKK isn't a cult, and he specifically referenced the mothership. At least from what you quoted. Is the joebot reference from you?

Why doesn't he write about Jim Brown, one of Cleveland's biggest sports heroes, who abused women on several occasions?

Reactions: psuno1

So what does he think of all the red in Ohio stadium each week? Oh right......that's different because it's Ahia State. :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Ohio State copied Penn St (again) with the "scarlet out" and the "black out" they tried against PSU the last few years?

Last edited:
I didn't even have to look at who wrote the article to know who wrote it. He is probably the newspaper journalist I despise the most. Think David Jones on steroids. He is a far lefty who absolutely hates Penn State and is not afraid to show it. He also is a person who believes OSU is comprised of angels who have never done anything wrong throughout their history. What he writes is worse than drivel. It is not even worth wiping your behind with.

Was Bill Livingston one of the 4 Ohio voters who dropped PSU from No. 1 after we throttled their beloved Buckeyes to the tune of 63-14?

Reactions: 91Joe95
[QUOTE="wex18, post: 2930053, member: 4746
The only other times I experienced that behavior from someone during 40 years in the press box was from Sally Jenkins and from some blogger from ESPN during the Nebraska game after Joe was fired.[/QUOTE]

Jenkins can be very good writer when she wants to be, but she, like her old man is a gawd awful human being. She was all but Lance Armstrong's personal publicist and never hesitated to attack people who dared tell the truth about him. When the truth came out, she boldly declared Armstrong was still her friend. She never apologized for ataccking honest people and never explained how she could be so close to Armstrong and not know he was dirty, a liar, and a completely self-absorbed creep who treated others badly. (I think of that whenever she pontificates about what other people (e.g. Joe) should and shouldn't have known. Daddy's rule was and is very simple, treat me like a buddy and I'll keep your secrets; treat me like a journalist, and I'll write what a bad person you are. I wouldn't empty my bladder on either if they were on fire.

You're reading way too much into it. The KKK has nothing to do with it

He was just trying to be clever with a stale insult and failed miserably.

Reactions: PSU&Trout
I was minded of a recent qu0te from Andrew Young, former Atlanta mayor--on a different topic, but applicable here I think:

You don’t get mad, you get smart. You never get angry with sick people, because you’ll catch their sickness. That’s what I worry about with our young people. Anger and this emotional militancy will give you ulcers, give you heart attacks.​

I wonder what it is about being a sports writer that turns some into old curmudgeons? Like Ron Bracken, for another example. I think part of it is a cynicism they think they have to have to do there jobs.

BTW, he wrote a column in July about the upcoming movie that was even nastier.

Why are you trying to fabricate a KKK reference. The KKK isn't a cult, and he specifically referenced the mothership. At least from what you quoted. Is the joebot reference from you?
you may be right....However it seems to me The terms "white" and "cult" in the same sentence is more that a coincidence. I've read this guy's stuff for two decades and he doesn't speak against any team or program other than PSU. Not even Michigan. He's written dozens of scathing anti-Joe articles and brings him up in every reference to PSU. He's never reported on the sanctions being rolled back or why.

One of my favorite quotes about folks like Livingston is from Kevin Horne.
And I’ll say this without qualification: Anyone who is 100 percent certain (or near 100 percent certain) that a coverup occurred is not a serious thinker or interpreter of the facts.
Full article: http://onwardstate.com/2016/09/02/why-honoring-paterno-still-matters/

And more ignorant. Here's one of the many factual inaccuracies from that article:

Testimony indicates that Paterno knew of allegations about Sandusky as long ago as 1976 and did little.
Technically, he may be correct. But that's assuming the "testimony" in question was actually true.

What I mean by that is that there was some kind of testimony to that effect. So you cannot go to him and say that his article is factually inaccurate on that point. He'd just bring up that "testimony". The assumption in the media is that victims are always telling the truth

Technically, he may be correct. But that's assuming the "testimony" in question was actually true.

What I mean by that is that there was some kind of testimony to that effect. So you cannot go to him and say that his article is factually inaccurate on that point. He'd just bring up that "testimony". The assumption in the media is that victims are always telling the truth
It's at best misleading in the extreme. The use of the word "testimony" implies a validity that is patently false in this instance.

(And yes, I realize I'm preaching to the choir.)

Reactions: pandaczar12
It's at best misleading in the extreme. The use of the word "testimony" implies a validity that is patently false in this instance.

(And yes, I realize I'm preaching to the choir.)
Of course--that's what "journalists" do these days.

Reactions: Zenophile
you may be right....However it seems to me The terms "white" and "cult" in the same sentence is more that a coincidence. I've read this guy's stuff for two decades and he doesn't speak against any team or program other than PSU. Not even Michigan. He's written dozens of scathing anti-Joe articles and brings him up in every reference to PSU. He's never reported on the sanctions being rolled back or why.
I'm not saying that this guy wasn't being anti PSU, just that the KKK is a group attempting to advance their political ideology (hate), while the relevant definitions of cult are: a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object, a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister, a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.

Don't let the MSM get in your head. The wall to wall coverage on a current narrative is putting ideas in your head.

It was a "White out". The easiest way to get to his "cult" insult is to use the words "White out".

If anything the "ghosts" line was aimed reinforcing his "worshiping a man that's no longer alive" cult BS.

JMO.

Don't let the MSM get in your head. The wall to wall coverage on a current narrative is putting ideas in your head.

It was a "White out". The easiest way to get to his "cult" insult is to use the words "White out".

If anything the "ghosts" line was aimed reinforcing his "worshiping a man that's no longer alive" cult BS.

JMO.
Can't agree. I've you read this idiot you'd know. The terms "white" and "cult" were strategically placed along with JoeBot to create a narrative of people who are obsessed. Of course, this is years after Joe's death so why even bring it up? don't other teams have white outs, red outs, blue outs...etc.? Why not discuss what an amazing atmosphere is was for college football?

It was a message and it was done purposfully.

Reactions: Zenophile

After all, PSU is the only school that has 100,000 loyal and excited fans with fabulous traditions. Oh wait....

Eh...I give anyone living in Ohio, and especially the Mistake by the lake, a huge amount of leeway. Ohio is the F*cking worst place I have ever been. I'd be miserable and resort to name calling too if I had to live is that god-forsaken armpit.

Can't agree. I've you read this idiot you'd know. The terms "white" and "cult" were strategically placed along with JoeBot to create a narrative of people who are obsessed. Of course, this is years after Joe's death so why even bring it up? don't other teams have white outs, red outs, blue outs...etc.? Why not discuss what an amazing atmosphere is was for college football?

It was a message and it was done purposfully.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I agree he was insulting Penn State. I don't think it had anything to do with the KKK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT