ADVERTISEMENT

CJF throws a little shade on Dave Jones

I can see why Jones pushes the Franklin to USC angle seeing how James makes Davey look like an idiot. Mental health days?? WTF??

I also loved the "Harvard of the PSAC" comment. It's that sort of thing which makes it hard to believe any USC rumors. Franklin seems to love his roots is PA. If he talked about the PSAC in SoCal they'd have no idea what he meant.

I can see why Jones pushes the Franklin to USC angle seeing how James makes Davey look like an idiot. Mental health days?? WTF??

I also loved the "Harvard of the PSAC" comment. It's that sort of thing which makes it hard to believe any USC rumors. Franklin seems to love his roots is PA. If he talked about the PSAC in SoCal they'd have no idea what he meant.
Seems to me it’s Davey makes Davey look like an idiot and it would happen no matter who the coach is. Jones makes Flounders look smart and that’s an accomplishment.

This is Dave Jones trying to undercut a successful season by directly trying to create distractional headlines and non sequiturs. 4-0 starts on the field aren't juicy enough for a New York times wannabe. The beauty of this, and if you know jones's pattern, when/if we lose, this sets the groundwork for his next piece about how taxing this season is on athletes and how maybe Franklin should have implemented " pitch counts" and rest days more. What is guaranteed is that Franklin will be criticized and Jones will convey himself as prophetic and righteous

Dave Jones loves the attention. He was the same with Bill Obrien

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
I was looking at his bio and it’s been a good ten years since he won any significant PA sports writing awards. He did land some awards in the 2005-2008 range, and one in 2012, but his career has sort of echoed his employers loss of readers. He lives in Downingtown, but can’t get a significant gig in Philly. He has always tried to be edgy and stay relevant, but is just turning into an old Patriot News guy trying to hang on.

I was looking at his bio and it’s been a good ten years since he won any significant PA sports writing awards. He did land some awards in the 2005-2008 range, and one in 2012, but his career has sort of echoed his employers loss of readers. He lives in Downingtown, but can’t get a significant gig in Philly. He has always tried to be edgy and stay relevant, but is just turning into an old Patriot News guy trying to hang on.
He should go cover the Whippets.

"Hypocrites! Who amongst you if this donkey lookin dude fell in a pit would not go and recover him even on an easy going Sunday morning!"

It wasn't a completely ridiculous question. Paterno used to talk a lot about players being tired and the need to rest during the season. But Jones knows that Franklin won't go there. Franklin skillfully turned the question into the message that he wants to send the team and the public -- that they have to work hard to get better.

It wasn't a completely ridiculous question. Paterno used to talk a lot about players being tired and the need to rest during the season. But Jones knows that Franklin won't go there. Franklin skillfully turned the question into the message that he wants to send the team and the public -- that they have to work hard to get better.

It was a completely ridiculous question. It wasn't about the team being physically tired, especially after an FCS foe.

Jones always seems to be working an angle and asking about "mental health days" implies real mental health issues. As noted above, he's setting himself up to crow about any future PSU loss after which he can claim it was due to the mental issues he asked about.

But James Franklin isn't stupid. For example, it the past he's taken the team to a local bowling alley to blow off steam. It wasn't a "mental health day" but simply a way to get their minds off football and recharge a bit. If Jones wasn't such a dick he would have asked about team morale and how they handle the grind of a long season. That approach would have been much more apropos and likely would have received a more appreciative response from CJF.

It wasn't by itself, the concept of managing a team throughout a long season is a real issue. In this case, the delivery and motivation of the question and the botched follow up was ridiculous.

Reactions: LionJim
Jones always seems to be working an angle and asking about "mental health days" implies real mental health issues. As noted above, he's setting himself up to crow about any future PSU loss after which he can claim it was due to the mental issues he asked about.

But James Franklin isn't stupid. For example, it the past he's taken the team to a local bowling alley to blow off steam. It wasn't a "mental health day" but simply a way to get their minds off football and recharge a bit. If Jones wasn't such a dick he would have asked about team morale and how they handle the grind of a long season. That approach would have been much more apropos and likely would have received a more appreciative response from CJF.
Agreed...using the term "mental health days" to associate with a lul in a football schedule is just stupid. I laugh, CJF is running circles around Jonesy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT