ADVERTISEMENT

Ciarrocca new OC at PSU

New drinking game?

EL7AD3OXUAAiBC0

As fate would have it, I’m in MN now. Just spoke to somebody who noticed my Penn State sweatshirt and said, “You guys stole our OC. He just likes to run the ball anyway. Good luck with that.”

As fate would have it, I’m in MN now. Just spoke to somebody who noticed my Penn State sweatshirt and said, “You guys stole our OC. He just likes to run the ball anyway. Good luck with that.”
He just likes to run the ball anyway....I would love 4yards a clip with successful passes mixed in, long sustained drives that score on most. Let’s my defense rest and the opponents offense predictable, helps us with when and who to blitz lol..:) we will take that luck!

Reactions: marshall23

I would love to see us emphasize the run a little more than we have. We're loaded at RB. 60/40 run to pass split, while continuing to emphasize the TE in the passing game. Music to my ears!

He just likes to run the ball anyway....I would love 4yards a clip with successful passes mixed in, long sustained drives that score on most. Let’s my defense rest and the opponents offense predictable, helps us with when and who to blitz lol..:) we will take that luck!
Right. Wasn’t even worth the discussion.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Proof of nothing.... aside from the fact (that should have already been evident) that there are sports-fan retards ( :) , my gift to you CPL) in every state.

2019 BigTen Football Stats:
https://bigten.org/confstats.aspx/2019-20/fb/confonly?path=football

UMinnesota:

1737 rush yards (4th in conference)
4.7 yards per carry (3rd)
2315 pass yards (4th)
10.5 yards per pass (1st)
65.2% completions (3rd)
181.5 pass efficiency (1st)
4052 total yards (2nd - to OSU)
6.8 yards per play (2nd - to OSU)
39 TDs (2nd - to OSU)
49.5% third down conversions (2rd - to OSU)
8 turnovers (1st - fewest)
5.5 points per red zone opportunity (3rd)
450.2 total yards per game (2nd - to OSU)

(Highlighted a couple of the things that I think are "key" metrics... based on strongest correlations to playing winning football)

Penn State:
1506 rush yards (5th in conference)
4.2 yards per carry (6th)
1901 pass yards (8th)
7.3 yards per pass (7th)
58.1% completions (7th)
134.9 pass efficiency (6th)
3407 total yards (8th)
5.5 yards per play (7th)
36 TDs (4th)
45.7% third down conversions (3rd)
11 turnovers (4th)
5.3 points per red zone opportunity (4th)
378.6 total yards per game (8th)

Last edited:
Proof of nothing.... aside from the fact (that should have already been evident) that there are sports-fan retards ( :) , my gift to you CPL) in every state.

UMinnesota:

2315 pass yards (4th)
65.2% completions (3rd)
39 TDs (2nd - to OSU)
49.5% third down conversions (3rd)

Penn State:
1901 pass yards (8th)
7.3 yards per pass (7th)
58.1% completions (7th)
3407 total yards (8th)
5.5 yards per play (7th)
36 TDs (4th)
11 turnovers (4th)
Wow! Thanks for that comparison.... I am not sure if it best shows the genius of Kirk or the poor performance of Rahne.

Nothing wrong with running the ball. Joe Moorhead loves to run the ball too -- he just couldn't because of the state of the PSU offensive line in 2016 and 2017.

But now PSU has an OL that can run block. The biggest news for the team -- after the new OC -- is that Menet and Fries are back.

Next year PSU will have a balanced attack and that's a good thing. We know they can run the ball because they have the players to do it. With the new OC hopefully we will see better preparation of the whole passing scheme. Plus it will be Clifford's second year so lots of things will be possible.

Reactions: Madsol

UMinnesota:

2315 pass yards (4th)
65.2% completions (3rd)
39 TDs (2nd - to OSU)
49.5% third down conversions (3rd)

(Highlighted a couple of the things that I think are "key" metrics... based on strongest correlations to playing winning football)

Penn State:
1901 pass yards (8th)
7.3 yards per pass (7th)
58.1% completions (7th)
3407 total yards (8th)
5.5 yards per play (7th)
36 TDs (4th)
11 turnovers (4th)

How are PSU and Minny tied for 3rd in third down conversions when their conversion percentage is different (UMinn is higher)?

Nothing wrong with running the ball. Joe Moorhead loves to run the ball too -- he just couldn't because of the state of the PSU offensive line in 2016 and 2017.

But now PSU has an OL that can run block. The biggest news for the team -- after the new OC -- is that Menet and Fries are back.

Next year PSU will have a balanced attack and that's a good thing. We know they can run the ball because they have the players to do it. With the new OC hopefully we will see better preparation of the whole passing scheme. Plus it will be Clifford's second year so lots of things will be possible.
I would love to be able to run the ball. Hopefully it happens next year.

Among its B10 competitors, Penn State has run the ball a hell of a lot more efficiently than they have passed it.... both in 2019 and in 2018... and its not even close.
Running the ball has been the least of their troubles.
I have not had any faith in the running game in years, including when Barkley was there. Always seems like there has been as good a chance of a running back being hit in the backfield when getting the ball as there has been making a “positive play”.

Reactions: HazletonLion
I have not had any faith in the running game in years, including when Barkley was there. Always seems like there has been as good a chance of a running back being hit in the backfield when getting the ball as there has been making a “positive play”.

I’d give it to Cain 20+ times per

Reactions: LMTLION
If we get two 1000 uard receivers with that fine with me. Makes you wonder about this minn fan.

If we get two 1000 uard receivers with that fine with me. Makes you wonder about this minn fan.
I don’t think I would split the carries between 4 backs. I’m not sure that Cain is better than Brown. I have a feeling Ford may prove to be better than all of them. But I don’t think splitting the carries up 4 ways is the best way to get any of them in rhythm.

Reactions: 81b&w
That would be a start......

You could also go here:
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol/2019

And see that PSU's run game "stuff rate" (the types of plays that cause you consternation) was 8th best among all P5 teams.
You'd also see that PSU was among the top ten in successfully converting short yardage runs.

You want any more knowledge? You're gonna' have to make some effort of your own.
Or..... just keep going with your hunches (faith?)
I get tired of ladling knowledge into sieves :)
It’s not quantitative, but the feeling i get watching the game.
Likewise, I never had a good feeling when Matt McGloin dropped back to throw the ball even though it worked out well his senior season.

At that level the only deciding factors are money + opportunity. PA has nothing to do with it. THat is just Franklin's marketing sense to appeal to the masses in PA. Of course, schools like PSU are more than just state schools and span nationally or even international.

No sure why he would lie about it. But you must be right.

I don’t think I would split the carries between 4 backs. I’m not sure that Cain is better than Brown. I have a feeling Ford may prove to be better than all of them. But I don’t think splitting the carries up 4 ways is the best way to get any of them in rhythm.
In the BTN interview linked in the previous page, Ciarrocca wanted to establish defined roles for the running backs in the Spring, from first team to second to third and fourth. Minnesota's third-string RB ran for over 400 yards, so there should be a healthy rotation in the backfield which seems to be the way CJF wants to run it, as well.

I think he was just a local yokel trying to sound insightful.

Just goes to show even a fan for a team that has been fairly well down since firing Mason, and just came off their best year in...a long time... Have unrealistic expectations for their teams.

so there should be a healthy rotation in the backfield which seems to be the way CJF wants to run it, as well.

Rotations are excellent. Particularly if you have a healthy stable of very good quality RBs. The biggest issue with our rotation this year was the coaches didn't seem to identify who the primary back(s) were going to be until late (Brown and Cain seemed to emerge, then Cain got hurt and didn't have but a handful of snaps after) and the play calling didn't suit each backs strength (Slade being asked to run up the middle too much, swing passes to Cain that were better suited for Brown and Ford).

Bowl game usage will be interesting and fun. I'd like to see Slade get Hamler's jet sweep. I'd like to see Brown and Cain in a 2 back set working the edge vs middle along with routes out of the back field. Speed option and sweeps with Ford.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
Agree, I’ve always been a firm believer that backs need to find their rhythm during a game. Brown and Cain showed the deserve the bulk of the carries. Agree about Ford, but his opportunities have been limited thus far. In any event I like that PSU will most likely have a heavy emphasis on the run in 2020 and our backs will be put in a position to be wildly successful.

Reactions: tlbakernc
Yes. PSU was able this year (and some in 2018) to play physical football against some teams and that was critical. They beat Iowa and Michigan because they could grind out some first downs. I'm sure Rahne gets some credit but the biggest factor is just the gradual maturation of the offensive line.

If PSU was able to play physical football AND have a downfield passing threat anything like 2016 and 2017, THAT is the makings of a playoff team. That is what Ohio State has this year. If Ciarroca is a miracle worker, PSU could have that kind of an offense in 2020. Then if the D can just make the incremental improvements they can make, PSU is a team to be reckoned with nationally.

That shows Penn State as the fifth best team in the Big10 at running the ball, unless I’m missing something. Is that you’re pointing out?

For the last two years the O has been too dependent on QB runs to get 1st downs in big situations. McSorley and Clifford both do it really well, and they're both incredibly tough and courageous.

But I would rather have seen other ways to get misdirection, to force the defense to a location and get the ball into a different location. That was one of the things I don't think Rahne did very well.

That Minnesota defense was undersized and they made up for it with aggressiveness. Wisky really took advantage of that -- granted Chryst is a GREAT running game coach. But PSU should have been able to take advantage of Minnesota's overpursuit and overcommitment -- especially in the red zone when PSU was having so much trouble. They were a young team, they hadn't played anything like the caliber of a PSU team, and PSU should have been able to undress them to some degree. If Ciarroca had been coaching for PSU it would have been a different game.

Agree, I’ve always been a firm believer that backs need to find their rhythm during a game. Brown and Cain showed the deserve the bulk of the carries. Agree about Ford, but his opportunities have been limited thus far. In any event I like that PSU will most likely have a heavy emphasis on the run in 2020 and our backs will be put in a position to be wildly successful.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Yes. PSU was able this year (and some in 2018) to play physical football against some teams and that was critical. They beat Iowa and Michigan because they could grind out some first downs. I'm sure Rahne gets some credit but the biggest factor is just the gradual maturation of the offensive line.

If PSU was able to play physical football AND have a downfield passing threat anything like 2016 and 2017, THAT is the makings of a playoff team. That is what Ohio State has this year. If Ciarroca is a miracle worker, PSU could have that kind of an offense in 2020. Then if the D can just make the incremental improvements they can make, PSU is a team to be reckoned with nationally.
The emergence of a WR is critical for us. I’m not so sure we’re going to see that happen next year. If Hamler leaves it’s going to a rough.

Hamler RS'd and he came around to be just fine. I know he had an injury in HS, but didn't we hear reports of him being the Human Joystick on the practice squad?

I think in Dunmore's case, he had no issue with taking a RS. We had depth, it just didn't perform. Everybody loves the idea of next man up and hoping for some kind of magic to occur, but I don't think they were drastically concerned about burning his RS at that point and it's not likely to have mattered this year WRT win loss record.

I think the bowl would be a good audition for Dunmore/Jones heading into winter workouts with the amount of uncertainty at the position. Hamler possibly leaving opens up the slot, although I could see Dotson sliding over. I think we see some attrition here since we won't be under the 85 by summer arrivals (CSB and Hipp are questionable to stay, particularly if another crew of EE true freshman come in and take the spots on the depth chart; pure speculation/assumption though).
If the depth above Dunmore wasn't performing, he had 4 games to play in and still RS and he didn't sniff the field. That's not a good sign.

If the depth above Dunmore wasn't performing, he had 4 games to play in and still RS and he didn't sniff the field. That's not a good sign.

You see the gauntlet we faced down the stretch? How many true freshman wide receivers have made an impact at PSU?

He came in undersized. It’s no more complicated than that. He needed a year to shed his HS body. Although for different reasons, Hamler redshirted and had two very good years. I expect the same kind of progression will take place for Dunmore.

Agree with your assessment of the offense and the opportunity for reaching the playoffs in 2020.

But on the defense -- the improvement in the secondary needs to be more than a little bit. Good QBs and even decent ones lit up the PSU secondary in 2019; some young players need to improve and emerge.

Look at our WR and TE targets. Hamler and Friermuth dominated, Bowers and Dotson got a few looks, and we saw some drops from basically our third WR. Because of run blocking, I don't think our staff likes playing true freshman at WR. They had 4 guys who could do that. They just seemed to drop the 2-3 looks per game they got.

Dunmore ain't no Justin Ross, but I don't deem his lack of playing time this year to being an indicator to write his career off already.

You see the gauntlet we faced down the stretch? How many true freshman wide receivers have made an impact at PSU?
Making an impact is different than taking a snap. All our freshmen WRs played some last year. It’s strange he didn’t even get some mop up time

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT