ChiTownLion: a cog in the RWNJ "alternative facts" machine

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
Articles from 1972 and 1974. LOL. Well done, Chi. I hope your fellow Trump Cultists will be as thoroughly entertained as I am.
Here ya go, @LafayetteBear.

31.jpg

Reactions: Hotshoe

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
There are decades upon decades of fear-mongering headlines just like the ones I just posted.

Be honest, @LafayetteBear. Does it make you think twice about climate alarmism? Thanks, and talk later.

Reactions: psuted

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
Here ya go, @LafayetteBear.

"Forest fires are at all-time highs!"

2019-02-15063804_shadow.jpg
Chi: You need to THINK before you post some of these charts. Posting the chart above was a real knee slapper on your part. Are you not aware that USFS policy for most of the last (i.e., 20th) century was to combat any and all forest fires? As a consequence, the quantity of flammable undergrowth (undergrowth that would otherwise have been burned off without major damage to the larger trees) increased dramatically.

The result is that there have been, over these last so many decades, fewer forest fires and less total acreage burned. But forest fires, particularly of late and particularly in parched western forests, have become far more destructive when they occur.

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
Chi: You need to THINK before you post some of these charts. Posting the chart above was a real knee slapper on your part. Are you not aware that USFS policy for most of the last (i.e., 20th) century was to combat any and all forest fires? As a consequence, the quantity of flammable undergrowth (undergrowth that would otherwise have been burned off without major damage to the larger trees) increased dramatically.

The result is that there have been, over these last so many decades, fewer forest fires and less total acreage burned. But forest fires, particularly of late and particularly in parched western forests, have become far more destructive when they occur.
Glad to read that you've done some homework, LB. You're learning that not everything can be attributed to CO2. For your next assignment, I'm looking forward to your report on the credibility of PolarPortal (link) -- and perhaps a mea culpa from your original post.

Keep it up and I just might have to welcome you into the RWNJ world of enlightenment. 😎

Nittany Ned2

Dec 16, 2005
THE ATLANTIC DAILY

The Nihilism of MAGA World

The president said something frightening and true.

SEPTEMBER 6, 2022, 6:37 PM ET

Joe Biden’s “Soul of the Nation” address got at a cold and disquieting truth: The MAGA movement cannot be placated, reasoned with, or politically accommodated in any way. There is nothing its adherents want—and nothing anyone can give them—beyond chaos and political destruction.

Soul Sickness

Joe Biden’s address to the American people last week was, as I wrote at the time, necessary and right. The staging was bizarre, and the speech had some of the hallmarks of a group product that hadn’t been subjected to a final spackle-and-smooth by a chief writer. But Biden got one big thing right, and that one thing explains why Donald Trump and the MAGA World apologists are reacting with such fury. The president outed them as anti-American nihilists:

This, as Biden pointed out, is what makes the MAGA movement so dangerous. It has no functional compass and no set of actual preferences beyond a generalized resentment, a basket of gripes and grudges against others who the Trumpists think are looking down upon them or living better lives than they are. It is a movement composed of people who are economically comfortable and middle-class, who enjoy a relatively high standard of living, and yet who seethe with a sense that they have been done dirty, screwed over, betrayed—and they are determined to get revenge.

Biden broke with tradition by saying what presidents are never supposed to say: He admitted that he was finally giving up on trying to accommodate a group of Americans, because he understands that they do not want to be accommodated. I know that some of my friends and colleagues believe that Biden, as president, must continue to reach out to MAGA voters because they are our neighbors and our fellow citizens. (The former GOP operative and my fellow Never Trumper Tim Miller made this point just this morning.) My instinct is to agree with them. But how do we reach those voters? These citizens do not want a discussion or a compromise. They don’t even want to “win,” in any traditional political sense of that word. They want to vent anger over their lives—their personal problems, their haunted sense of inferiority, and their fears about social status—on other Americans, as vehemently as possible, even to the point of violence.

How do any of us, and especially the president, engage with such a movement, when every discussion includes the belief that the only legitimate outcomes are ones in which the MAGA choice wins? Such an insistence is not civic or democratic in any way, and it is not amenable to resolution through the democratic process.

This, by the way, is why it was a mistake for Biden to raise issues such as abortion and privacy in his speech. Yes, the opportunists who will ride into political office on the bed of a pickup flying MAGA flags will attack these rights, but that is incidental to their real interest, which is power and the spoils it brings. Issues such as abortion, LGBTQ rights, and contraception are really just hot buttons meant to rile up the voters. (MAGA World, as a movement, seems to have a kind of tabloid-television-style obsession with sex, which makes sense, as it is led by a tabloid star who literally bragged about the size of his penis on a GOP debate stage.)

For Biden even to mention something like abortion undermined the more important part of his speech, which is that MAGA is a movement that doesn’t believe in anything but violence, chaos, and power. Right-wing pundits have seized on that part of his speech because it was the only thing they could argue with; they know that trying to describe MAGA and Trumpism with any consistency is pointless. Smaller government? More democracy? Power to “We the People”? Good luck with that: Trump just endorsed a GOP candidate for governor, Geoff Diehl in Massachusetts, by telling a crowd that Diehl will “rule your state with an iron fist, and he’ll do what has to be done.”

As a native son of the Commonwealth, I have no concerns that the Bay State is going to elect someone on Donald Trump’s say-so. But Trump’s authoritarian blather makes Biden’s point. The MAGA movement isn’t interested in politics, or policies, or compromises. It is interested in destruction and seeing others made as miserable as its followers are. MAGA is a movement of people who seem to be, in so many ways, deeply and profoundly unhappy, and suffering from an emptiness and anger deep in their spirit. There is no political solution for that. All Joe Biden did was finally say this obvious truth out loud.

———————————-
As angry and empty as their cult leader

Tom Nichols is ****ing awesome.  

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
THE ATLANTIC DAILY

Joe Biden’s “Soul of the Nation” address got at a cold and disquieting truth: The MAGA movement cannot be placated, reasoned with, or politically accommodated in any way. There is nothing its adherents want—and nothing anyone can give them—beyond chaos and political destruction.

Soul Sickness

Joe Biden’s address to the American people last week was, as I wrote at the time, necessary and right. The staging was bizarre, and the speech had some of the hallmarks of a group product that hadn’t been subjected to a final spackle-and-smooth by a chief writer. But Biden got one big thing right, and that one thing explains why Donald Trump and the MAGA World apologists are reacting with such fury. The president outed them as anti-American nihilists:

This, as Biden pointed out, is what makes the MAGA movement so dangerous. It has no functional compass and no set of actual preferences beyond a generalized resentment, a basket of gripes and grudges against others who the Trumpists think are looking down upon them or living better lives than they are. It is a movement composed of people who are economically comfortable and middle-class, who enjoy a relatively high standard of living, and yet who seethe with a sense that they have been done dirty, screwed over, betrayed—and they are determined to get revenge.

Biden broke with tradition by saying what presidents are never supposed to say: He admitted that he was finally giving up on trying to accommodate a group of Americans, because he understands that they do not want to be accommodated. I know that some of my friends and colleagues believe that Biden, as president, must continue to reach out to MAGA voters because they are our neighbors and our fellow citizens. (The former GOP operative and my fellow Never Trumper Tim Miller made this point just this morning.) My instinct is to agree with them. But how do we reach those voters? These citizens do not want a discussion or a compromise. They don’t even want to “win,” in any traditional political sense of that word. They want to vent anger over their lives—their personal problems, their haunted sense of inferiority, and their fears about social status—on other Americans, as vehemently as possible, even to the point of violence.

How do any of us, and especially the president, engage with such a movement, when every discussion includes the belief that the only legitimate outcomes are ones in which the MAGA choice wins? Such an insistence is not civic or democratic in any way, and it is not amenable to resolution through the democratic process.

This, by the way, is why it was a mistake for Biden to raise issues such as abortion and privacy in his speech. Yes, the opportunists who will ride into political office on the bed of a pickup flying MAGA flags will attack these rights, but that is incidental to their real interest, which is power and the spoils it brings. Issues such as abortion, LGBTQ rights, and contraception are really just hot buttons meant to rile up the voters. (MAGA World, as a movement, seems to have a kind of tabloid-television-style obsession with sex, which makes sense, as it is led by a tabloid star who literally bragged about the size of his penis on a GOP debate stage.)

For Biden even to mention something like abortion undermined the more important part of his speech, which is that MAGA is a movement that doesn’t believe in anything but violence, chaos, and power. Right-wing pundits have seized on that part of his speech because it was the only thing they could argue with; they know that trying to describe MAGA and Trumpism with any consistency is pointless. Smaller government? More democracy? Power to “We the People”? Good luck with that: Trump just endorsed a GOP candidate for governor, Geoff Diehl in Massachusetts, by telling a crowd that Diehl will “rule your state with an iron fist, and he’ll do what has to be done.”

As a native son of the Commonwealth, I have no concerns that the Bay State is going to elect someone on Donald Trump’s say-so. But Trump’s authoritarian blather makes Biden’s point. The MAGA movement isn’t interested in politics, or policies, or compromises. It is interested in destruction and seeing others made as miserable as its followers are. MAGA is a movement of people who seem to be, in so many ways, deeply and profoundly unhappy, and suffering from an emptiness and anger deep in their spirit. There is no political solution for that. All Joe Biden did was finally say this obvious truth out loud.

———————————-

Thanks for the share. Sounds like Tom Nichols is auditioning for a job at the Washington Post. cc: @LafayetteBear

2019-02-21024544_shadow.jpg

Image1511242019.png

Reactions: Hotshoe

dailybuck777

Jan 2, 2018
THE ATLANTIC DAILY

Soul Sickness

———————————-

As usual, baseless projection by a Shameless race baiter.

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
THE ATLANTIC DAILY

Soul Sickness

———————————-

As usual, baseless projection by a Shameless race baiter.

He is merely holding up a mirror and the reflection is ugly.
Absolutely nothing of substance in that avalanche of projection and angst.

People are eventually going to have to wake up and realize that their beloved liberal policies are sinking the West in real-time, right now, as we speak. China is watching in utter disbelief.

Reactions: dailybuck777

junior1

May 29, 2001
Thanks for the share. Sounds like Tom Nichols is auditioning for a job at the Washington Post. cc: @LafayetteBear

2019-02-21024544_shadow.jpg

Image1511242019.png
isn't it kind of unique that the state touted as the example for green energy to fight climate change is in the prospective path for the first US land reaching hurricane of the year.
They better hope high winds don't damage the wind turbines or there may be an even larger energy problem ot there.

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
Just going with 50/50 odds, you would think half of these categories would support the man-made climate catastrophe narrative. But Mother Nature is a stubborn gal and she's giving the alarmists almost nothing to work with.

2lion70

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2004
Antartica is losing ice rapidly

'Doomsday Glacier' is teetering even closer to disaster than scientists thought, new seafloor map shows​

By Harry Baker
published 1 day ago
Researchers say the icy mass is "holding on by its fingernails."

The researcher onboard the R/V Nathaniel B. Palmer as it sits in front of Thwaites Glacier in Antarctica.

The researcher onboard the R/V Nathaniel B. Palmer as it sits in front of Thwaites Glacier in Antarctica. (Image credit: Alexandra Mazur/University of Gothenburg)
(opens in new tab)
Underwater robots that peered under Antarctica's Thwaites Glacier, nicknamed the "Doomsday Glacier," saw that its doom may come sooner than expected with an extreme spike in ice loss. A detailed map of the seafloor surrounding the icy behemoth has revealed that the glacier underwent periods of rapid retreat within the last few centuries, which could be triggered again through melt driven by climate change.

Thwaites Glacier is a massive chunk of ice — around the same size as the state of Florida in the U.S. or the entirety of the United Kingdom — that is slowly melting into the ocean off West Antarctica. The glacier gets its ominous nickname because of the "spine-chilling" implications of its total liquidation, which could raise global sea levels between 3 and 10 feet (0.9 and 3 meters), researchers said in a statement. Due to climate change, the enormous frozen mass is retreating twice as fast as it was 30 years ago and is losing around 50 billion tons (45 billion metric tons) of ice annually, according to the International Thwaites Glacier Collaboration.
The Thwaites Glacier extends well below the ocean's surface and is held in place by jagged points on the seafloor that slow the glacier's slide into the water. Sections of seafloor that grab hold of a glacier's underbelly are known as "grounding points," and play a key role in how quickly a glacier can retreat.
Sponsored Links
https://www.vp21atrk.com/PBGRT/6JHX...2irLTdgfr8HXt5LenqXOXTO7iC4_ksosq-hrOiShqflAQ
In the new study, an international team of researchers used an underwater robot to map out one of Thwaites' past grounding points: a protruding seafloor ridge known as "the bump," which is around 2,133 feet (650 m) below the surface. The resulting map revealed that at some point during the last two centuries, when the bump was propping up Thwaites Glacier, the glacier's ice mass retreated more than twice as fast as it does now.

Hotshoe

Feb 15, 2012

'Doomsday Glacier' is teetering even closer to disaster than scientists thought, new seafloor map shows​

By Harry Baker
published 1 day ago

The researcher onboard the R/V Nathaniel B. Palmer as it sits in front of Thwaites Glacier in Antarctica.
The researcher onboard the R/V Nathaniel B. Palmer as it sits in front of Thwaites Glacier in Antarctica. (Image credit: Alexandra Mazur/University of Gothenburg)
(opens in new tab)
Underwater robots that peered under Antarctica's Thwaites Glacier, nicknamed the "Doomsday Glacier," saw that its doom may come sooner than expected with an extreme spike in ice loss. A detailed map of the seafloor surrounding the icy behemoth has revealed that the glacier underwent periods of rapid retreat within the last few centuries, which could be triggered again through melt driven by climate change.

Thwaites Glacier is a massive chunk of ice — around the same size as the state of Florida in the U.S. or the entirety of the United Kingdom — that is slowly melting into the ocean off West Antarctica. The glacier gets its ominous nickname because of the "spine-chilling" implications of its total liquidation, which could raise global sea levels between 3 and 10 feet (0.9 and 3 meters), researchers said in a statement. Due to climate change, the enormous frozen mass is retreating twice as fast as it was 30 years ago and is losing around 50 billion tons (45 billion metric tons) of ice annually, according to the International Thwaites Glacier Collaboration.
The Thwaites Glacier extends well below the ocean's surface and is held in place by jagged points on the seafloor that slow the glacier's slide into the water. Sections of seafloor that grab hold of a glacier's underbelly are known as "grounding points," and play a key role in how quickly a glacier can retreat.
Sponsored Links
https://www.vp21atrk.com/PBGRT/6JHXF/?source_id=8325891&sub1=futureplc-livescience&sub2=3511639884&sub3=GiCprK5IHyJ6jOG9QFN8-2irLTdgfr8HXt5LenqXOXTO7iC4_ksosq-hrOiShqflAQ&utm_source=Taboola&utm_campaign=DESKTOP+-+Cold+-+JWhitelist+-+Test+(day+parted)&utm_medium=PPC&utm_content=3511639884&tblci=GiCprK5IHyJ6jOG9QFN8-2irLTdgfr8HXt5LenqXOXTO7iC4_ksosq-hrOiShqflAQ#tblciGiCprK5IHyJ6jOG9QFN8-2irLTdgfr8HXt5LenqXOXTO7iC4_ksosq-hrOiShqflAQ
In the new study, an international team of researchers used an underwater robot to map out one of Thwaites' past grounding points: a protruding seafloor ridge known as "the bump," which is around 2,133 feet (650 m) below the surface. The resulting map revealed that at some point during the last two centuries, when the bump was propping up Thwaites Glacier, the glacier's ice mass retreated more than twice as fast as it does now.
Maybe you and your friends should shut down all oil, natural gas, and coal production. It's hard to fathom just how stupid and ignorant so many of you are. Why don't we all just stop living. Ffs, at least act like you're educated.

2lion70

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2004
Maybe you and your friends should shut down all oil, natural gas, and coal production. It's hard to fathom just how stupid and ignorant so many of you are. Why don't we all just stop living. Ffs, at least act like you're educated.
If the underwater cameras show increased melting of the ice shelf and glacier we need to pay attention. The sad fact is we may be too late to make any meaningful impact. The ice contained in that one glacier/ice shelf by itself can raise worldwide sea level by 10 feet. The most recent trends for temperature (especially ocean) are quite concerning and don't bode well for large parts of the globe.
Hide your head in the sand, get your information from less than reputable sources, and look like a flat earther.

junior1

May 29, 2001
If the underwater cameras show increased melting of the ice shelf and glacier we need to pay attention. The sad fact is we may be too late to make any meaningful impact. The ice contained in that one glacier/ice shelf by itself can raise worldwide sea level by 10 feet. The most recent trends for temperature (especially ocean) are quite concerning and don't bode well for large parts of the globe.
Hide your head in the sand, get your information from less than reputable sources, and look like a flat earther.
If seas go up by 10 feet we’ll likely get a good deal on obama’s beach home

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001

By Harry Baker
published 1 day ago

(opens in new tab)

Sponsored Links
https://www.vp21atrk.com/PBGRT/6JHXF/?source_id=8325891&sub1=futureplc-livescience&sub2=3511639884&sub3=GiCprK5IHyJ6jOG9QFN8-2irLTdgfr8HXt5LenqXOXTO7iC4_ksosq-hrOiShqflAQ&utm_source=Taboola&utm_campaign=DESKTOP+-+Cold+-+JWhitelist+-+Test+(day+parted)&utm_medium=PPC&utm_content=3511639884&tblci=GiCprK5IHyJ6jOG9QFN8-2irLTdgfr8HXt5LenqXOXTO7iC4_ksosq-hrOiShqflAQ#tblciGiCprK5IHyJ6jOG9QFN8-2irLTdgfr8HXt5LenqXOXTO7iC4_ksosq-hrOiShqflAQ
"The resulting map revealed that at some point during the last two centuries, when the bump was propping up Thwaiastes Glacier, the glacier's ice mass retreated more than twice as fast as it does now."

Thanks for the share. Wonder why it was melting two times faster than it is now over the last two centuries. Any theories? 🤭

Last edited:

BW Lion

Apr 9, 2020

By Harry Baker
published 1 day ago

(opens in new tab)

Sponsored Links
Oh Paul,

Your tiny hovel doesn’t do well even under mild hurricanes. What’s it going to do when something major happens?

I guess you could always inflict yourself on one of your fellow racist “Sons of the Revolutiinary War” buddies. 😘

junior1

May 29, 2001
"The resulting map revealed that at some point during the last two centuries, when the bump was propping up Thwaiastes Glacier, the glacier's ice mass retreated more than twice as fast as it does now."

Thanks for the share. Wonder why it was melting two times faster than it is now over the last two centuries. Any theories? 🤭
climate change??

bdgan

May 29, 2008
THE ATLANTIC DAILY

Soul Sickness

———————————-

Looks like a lot of insults aimed at a group of people because that's much easier than having an intelligent discussion of the issues.

Monlion

Jul 9, 2001

Whenever I read a climate doom article that throws out massive quantities like 45 billion metric tons, designed to scare the average reader without any meaningful context I become suspicious. The Thwaiastes Glacier has 483,000 cubic kilometers of ice which is 483 trillion metric tons of ice. At the current 45 billion metric tons of ice melt per year it will take over 10,000 years to melt. Even if the rate doubles, as they breathlessly stated in the article, to the speed of the last bump that's 5,000 years.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ChiTownLion

JR4PSU

Sep 27, 2002
SE PA
ChiTownLion started a thread on this Board which provides both an illuminating and entertaining illustration of how the RWNJ "alternative facts" machine works. His thread title breathlessly reported that "Snow Mass Season" had commenced with Artic ice being 250 Gigatons greater than in 1982. "See, climate change is a hoax! This PROVES it!" Whereupon a bunch of the other RWNJ's on this Board dutifully swallowed Chi's post, and the Web ink it contained, without even a moment's consideration as to whether it had any basis in science or fact. Cue the snark ("I need to put some of that ice in my bourbon!").

Fact is, the alt-right thrives on bullshiat masquerading as fact (i.e., "alternative facts"). Trump Cultists are by now so accustomed to swallowing any kind of disinformation that Trump or like-minded RWNJ's feed them that they have lost all capacity to distinguish facts from bullshiat.

Here's a little information on Electroverse, the source that Chi cited for that hilarious report on the 250 Gigaton increase in Artic ice:

Electroverse was founded in 2018. It is a news and opinion website that promotes human-influenced climate change denial. That is its prime directive and sole reason for existence.

Electroverse completely lacks transparency. Its website lacks an "about page," the contact page does not provide a location, ownership is not disclosed, and the only author is someone named "Cap Allon," who does not provide any kind of biography. A search for Cap Allon does not verify if this is a real person. As a consequence, there is no way of verifying his (or her) credentials as it relates to climate science.

Electroverse's revenue appears to be derived through donations to a Patreon account. (Patreon is a a web-based membership platform that "allows content creators [including operators of RWNJ websites] to "let your fans become active participants in the work they love by offering them a monthly membership. You give them access to exclusive content, community, and insight into your creative process.") According to Electoverse's Patreon Page, "Electroverse has been set up to wade against the mainstream propaganda and accurately document Earth Changes as two world-altering climatic events unfold simultaneously."

Here's what mediafactcheck.com had to say about Electroverse: "[They] use fallacious (strawman) arguments such as frequently pointing out regional cold spells as a way to refute global warming. Regional cold spells have nothing to do with global warming. The [Electroverse] website also promotes the Solar Minimum as a cause for the upcoming cooler weather in the late 2020's ... Overall, we rate Electroverse a quackery level Pseudoscience source based on the promotion of misinformation regarding climate change that does not align with the consensus of science."

Speaking of the consensus of science, here is a link to another site where they cite (and quote) actual scientists concerning the notion (which is Electoverse's essential thesis) that the sun, rather than carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, is behind climate change.

All of this information was readily obtainable via a one minute Google search of "Electroverse." Yet none of the RWNJ's on this Board, with the sole exception of ao (props to him for that, BTW) bothered to check on Electroverse or express even the slightest quantum of skepticism regarding Chi's hilarious post. Which is quite entertaining, but at the same time sad ...
I’m curious, did you google anything about the amount of ice? Or is your sole focus on discrediting the source rather than the story?

Reactions: ChiTownLion

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
I’m curious, did you google anything about the amount of ice? Or is your sole focus on discrediting the source rather than the story?
Good question. Seems to be a common tactic by those who can't handle the truth. Still awaiting that mea culpa.

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
All you have to do is look at satellite photos of Greenland or the Arctic ice mass, particularly “then and now” photo comparisons, and the loss of ice mass is obvious.

So when I see a post - whether from Chi or anyone else - linking an article telling me the Arctic ice mass is increasing, much less increasing significantly, it naturally suggests that the source of the article is suspect. Which was the case with respect to Chi’s post and the source it cited.

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
All you have to do is look at satellite photos of Greenland or the Arctic ice mass, particularly “then and now” photo comparisons, and the loss of ice mass is obvious.

So when I see a post - whether from Chi or anyone else - linking an article telling me the Arctic ice mass is increasing, much less increasing significantly, it naturally suggests that the source of the article is suspect. Which was the case with respect to Chi’s post and the source it cited.
False. You pinned your ears against the messenger (Electroverse) rather than the source of the data (PolarPortal).

And, sure, satellite images can be used to tell one portion of the story, or used in a cherry-picked series to create another perception, however I would encourage everyone to ask themselves if they are being rushed to judgment.

Greenland-total-ice.png

Reactions: JR4PSU

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
Everyone enjoying all those alarmist articles about hurricanes? They are the literal definition of intentional disinformation. A thread:

Reactions: bison13

junior1

May 29, 2001
ChiTownLion started a thread on this Board which provides both an illuminating and entertaining illustration of how the RWNJ "alternative facts" machine works. His thread title breathlessly reported that "Snow Mass Season" had commenced with Artic ice being 250 Gigatons greater than in 1982. "See, climate change is a hoax! This PROVES it!" Whereupon a bunch of the other RWNJ's on this Board dutifully swallowed Chi's post, and the Web ink it contained, without even a moment's consideration as to whether it had any basis in science or fact. Cue the snark ("I need to put some of that ice in my bourbon!").

Fact is, the alt-right thrives on bullshiat masquerading as fact (i.e., "alternative facts"). Trump Cultists are by now so accustomed to swallowing any kind of disinformation that Trump or like-minded RWNJ's feed them that they have lost all capacity to distinguish facts from bullshiat.

Here's a little information on Electroverse, the source that Chi cited for that hilarious report on the 250 Gigaton increase in Artic ice:

Electroverse was founded in 2018. It is a news and opinion website that promotes human-influenced climate change denial. That is its prime directive and sole reason for existence.

Electroverse completely lacks transparency. Its website lacks an "about page," the contact page does not provide a location, ownership is not disclosed, and the only author is someone named "Cap Allon," who does not provide any kind of biography. A search for Cap Allon does not verify if this is a real person. As a consequence, there is no way of verifying his (or her) credentials as it relates to climate science.

Electroverse's revenue appears to be derived through donations to a Patreon account. (Patreon is a a web-based membership platform that "allows content creators [including operators of RWNJ websites] to "let your fans become active participants in the work they love by offering them a monthly membership. You give them access to exclusive content, community, and insight into your creative process.") According to Electoverse's Patreon Page, "Electroverse has been set up to wade against the mainstream propaganda and accurately document Earth Changes as two world-altering climatic events unfold simultaneously."

Here's what mediafactcheck.com had to say about Electroverse: "[They] use fallacious (strawman) arguments such as frequently pointing out regional cold spells as a way to refute global warming. Regional cold spells have nothing to do with global warming. The [Electroverse] website also promotes the Solar Minimum as a cause for the upcoming cooler weather in the late 2020's ... Overall, we rate Electroverse a quackery level Pseudoscience source based on the promotion of misinformation regarding climate change that does not align with the consensus of science."

Speaking of the consensus of science, here is a link to another site where they cite (and quote) actual scientists concerning the notion (which is Electoverse's essential thesis) that the sun, rather than carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, is behind climate change.

All of this information was readily obtainable via a one minute Google search of "Electroverse." Yet none of the RWNJ's on this Board, with the sole exception of ao (props to him for that, BTW) bothered to check on Electroverse or express even the slightest quantum of skepticism regarding Chi's hilarious post. Which is quite entertaining, but at the same time sad ...
I wouldn't focus on RWNJ errors when even the NYTimes has called out the head of the democrats for lying. And those are lies that don't require any deep analysis

Reactions: bison13