ADVERTISEMENT

cheating fishermen indicted, boat siezed.

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
this is kind of an amazing story that isn't getting national play but should.

Two dudes who have positioned themselves as perennial champion fishers got caught cheating at the Lake Erie Walley championship. They had their limit but the fish appeared to be smaller than other people yet weighed much more. The event chair, after weighing them and declaring them to be in possession of the most fish by weight, cut a fish open to find sinkers embedded in fish skin, stuffed into the fish's bellies. He immediately claimed that they cheated and held up the presentation.

today, both of the guys were arrested and their equipment was seized. One guy is from Hermitage PA, and the other is from Ashtabula.

• Love
Reactions: step.eng69

Two dudes who have positioned themselves as perennial champion fishers got caught cheating at the Lake Erie Walley championship. They had their limit but the fish appeared to be smaller than other people yet weighed much more. The event chair, after weighing them and declaring them to be in possession of the most fish by weight, cut a fish open to find sinkers embedded in fish skin, stuffed into the fish's bellies. He immediately claimed that they cheated and held up the presentation.

today, both of the guys were arrested and their equipment was seized. One guy is from Hermitage PA, and the other is from Ashtabula.

Dudes won over 300k during the last 2 years. They’re ****ed

That was all over the national news the day after it happened. When I fished bass tournament there were two cheaters that won all the time but were finally caught.

Reactions: Obliviax
That was all over the national news the day after it happened. When I fished bass tournament there were two cheaters that won all the time but were finally caught.
So what’s the story on how they got caught?

So what’s the story on how they got caught?
From what I've read, they had been suspected of cheating for years. The tournament director who is also a fisherman and weighs the fish being brought to scales knew from handling so many fish that these walleye should not have weighed as much as they did for their size, and decided to open one up and found the weights.
Personally, I think they had been putting smaller weights in previous tournaments, and got too bold and put these much larger weights in and got caught. These weights were like 1 or 2 pounds of lead.

Full video lots of F bombs. Go to 14:32

Last edited:
Reactions: 81b&w
From what I've read, they had been suspected of cheating for years. The tournament director who is also a fisherman and weighs the fish being brought to scales knew from handling so many fish that these walleye should not have weighed as much as they did for their size, and decided to open one up and found the weights.
Personally, I think they had been putting smaller weights in previous tournaments, and got too bold and put these much larger weights in and got caught. These weights were like 1 or 2 pounds of lead.

Full video lots of F bombs. Go to 14:32
Sorry for the confusion. I was just wondering how your bass guys got caught. Hard to imagine stuffing fish with weights. Bass are released too if I’m not mistaken so were they catching them prior to tournament?

I agree with you here. Think they just got more brazen as time went on.

Reactions: Gitzit
One is to be a real loser to make a career of cheating in a fishing tournament.

Oh. Yeah I know Bass can throw up unwanted things in their stomach. I've had bass throw up crayfish and many things in my livewell, but they must be kept alive and these walleye look dead.
The bass cheaters were having another non competitor boat meet them on the lake with bass they had caught through out the week leading up to tournament, and got caught.

Reactions: psualt and fkkkjm
Same thing happened in a shad tournament in Easton a few years ago. As I remember, a guy won several years in a row. Found that he had been stuffing the fish with weights. That's why we can't have nice things.

Reactions: 81b&w
Yikes. Some people never learn. One of the dudes caught and arrested for this Walleye Tournament cheating is now accused of poaching deer in Hermitage PA.

On Oct he was charged with stalking and harassing but those were dropped later.

And the apple didn’t roll far from the tree….In Feb he and his son were charged with forgery for trying to pass a counterfeit $100 bill Ten Pin Alley in Hermitage.

A true upstanding citizen this one is….😤

• Angry
Reactions: psu00

Michigan alums?

Look up Mike Long, San Diego. He was doing this before it was all the rage.

Was on the cover of countless bass fishing magazines, held state records and won a lot of money in tournaments. Turned out he was growing fish in tanks in his house to tremendous sizes and going out literally in the middle of the night on tournament lakes and stashing them in natural enclosures and tying them to submerged logs and stuff like this. Some biologist or state agency figured out they weren't fish that lived in the natural environment. Someone on this or the old forum may have posted it. There are a lot of stories on line about him. Interesting story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT