ADVERTISEMENT

Football CFP National Championship Game Thread

Both can win. I think UM has a better overall team with lots of depth and options. But they will need to stop the W passing attack. I look for UM to pull away in the 4th quarter as I don't think W can match them, physically, for an entire game.

Reactions: bison13
As much as I like Penix and would like to see his career finish on a high note, Michigan is a more complete team with no weaknesses. Michigan also seems to make a lot of really good play-calls on offense. (Our staff should watch and learn from them.) They are very diverse, probably something Washington has never seen. They are confident in their ability to execute too. See Harbaugh's 4th down call on the Michigan side of the field in the Alabama game.

A big factor will be in how the officials call it in the secondary. If they "let them play" Michigan wins easily. Otherwise, Penix has the accuracy to pick any defense apart. Michigan will have to blitz him.

Either way, unless there are turnovers, Michigan wins this. Close if they don't let Michigan DBs hold and interfere. Otherwise it could be a blowout.

UM needs to run an aggressive game plan on defense. Otherwise Penix will carve them up. He may still carve them up. I predict UW delivers for the crumbling PAC12 like the good old days. Regardless, UM’s 2022-2023 wins will be vacated at some point.

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
As much as I like Penix and would like to see his career finish on a high note, Michigan is a more complete team with no weaknesses. Michigan also seems to make a lot of really good play-calls on offense. (Our staff should watch and learn from them.) They are very diverse, probably something Washington has never seen. They are confident in their ability to execute too. See Harbaugh's 4th down call on the Michigan side of the field in the Alabama game.

A big factor will be in how the officials call it in the secondary. If they "let them play" Michigan wins easily. Otherwise, Penix has the accuracy to pick any defense apart. Michigan will have to blitz him.

Either way, unless there are turnovers, Michigan wins this. Close if they don't let Michigan DBs hold and interfere. Otherwise it could be a blowout.
Agreed. If you look at W's schedule, they haven't played anything like UM's team.

Not interested in watching the cheaters. Let me know if Washington wins. Otherwise, vacated.
I think the ratings tonight will show you're in the minority here...but to each their own

My guess is Washington leads at the half but Michigan is too physical in the second half and wins 28-20

A simple but I think excellent take on this game is UW's Dillon Johnson is hurt. He may play but probably will not be that effective. That makes them one dimensional and gives Mich a big advantage to create havoc for Penix and their passing game.

A simple but I think excellent take on this game is UW's Dillon Johnson is hurt. He may play but probably will not be that effective. That makes them one dimensional and gives Mich a big advantage to create havoc for Penix and their passing game.

Washington claims he will play. He is crucial as far as pass protection.

You can say the same as Michigan hasn’t played anyone like Washington
Not sure I agree. tOSU had a very good passing attack with great WRs. In addition, Alabama is a good team. I suspect both tOSU and AL would beat Washington.

Washington claims he will play. He is crucial as far as pass protection.
I know he will play but they already said not 100%. I just think he won't be that effective and they will be left to Penix having to chuck it all over and Michigan will know that's their only option.

UM needs to run an aggressive game plan on defense. Otherwise Penix will carve them up. He may still carve them up. I predict UW delivers for the crumbling PAC12 like the good old days. Regardless, UM’s 2022-2023 wins will be vacated at some point.
By who? The spineless NCAA ? OK.

The most important element in this game.. who.os the line ref and does he believe that Defensive linemen are allowed to be tackled outright at the line of scrimmage?
They'll call it the same for both teams like they always do. Refs are a non-factor. Players have to adjust to how the call it on both sides.

Not sure I agree. tOSU had a very good passing attack with great WRs. In addition, Alabama is a good team. I suspect both tOSU and AL would beat Washington.
Those teams didn’t have the qb that Washington has. While Michigan may be too good for them I think Washington is much different then what Michigan has seen this year

Those teams didn’t have the qb that Washington has. While Michigan may be too good for them I think Washington is much different then what Michigan has seen this year
That's fair--this is by far the best passing offense they'll see. It's also by far the best defense Washington has faced. I know i should let it go but Washington against Arizona State, Oregon State and Washington State concerns me for this game. Pennix was far from good in any of those contests.

Ohio State had a similar QB last year. Most (around 90%?) of this Michigan defense played Stroud in '22. The receivers are similarly talented and dangerous.

I think the ratings tonight will show you're in the minority here...but to each their own

My guess is Washington leads at the half but Michigan is too physical in the second half and wins 28-20

I doubt the ratings will be that great. Free tv gets higher ratings. When MNF moved to cable the Sunday night game became the premier game. Last I heard about 1/3rd the viewers do not have cable.

I doubt the ratings will be that great. Free tv gets higher ratings. When MNF moved to cable the Sunday night game became the premier game. Last I heard about 1/3rd the viewers do not have cable.
Ratings will be great for a cable network in 2024 which is all that matters.

Michigan-Bama had over 27M viewers...if anything I believe people will watch hoping they lose.

Side note: the forced laughter on ESPN's pregame reminds me of The Sammy Maudlin Show.

FJ9LnR2XMAcGK1-.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
Who does everyone have winning tonight?
I'm going with the Dawgs. Joel Klatt has been comparing them to the Ohio State teams that Michigan was designed to beat. They are more like 2019 LSU, IMO. Despite all the hype about Michigan's D-Line, they will find ways to neutralize that as much as possible and will score points. The question is can they slow Michigan down enough so the points don't go to waste.

I think you underestimate the creativity of Ryan Grubb and Kalen DeBoer.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I'm going with the Dawgs. Joel Klatt has been comparing them to the Ohio State teams that Michigan was designed to beat. They are more like 2019 LSU, IMO. Despite all the hype about Michigan's D-Line, they will find ways to neutralize that as much as possible and will score points. The question is can they slow Michigan down enough so the points don't go to waste.

At his best, Penix is similar to Burrow. But his average, while still excellent, is closer to Stroud.

Penix 2023: 66.7%, 9.2/att, 35/9, 163 rating
Burrow 2019: 76.3%, 10.8/att, 60/6, 202 rating
Stroud 2021: 71.9%, 10.1/att, 44/6, 187 rating

I also think that LSU team had a better defense than Washington.

Who does everyone have winning tonight?

For Washington to win, Penix has to have a great game, which he's capable of doing, especially throwing to the team's outstanding set of WRs.

In the end, however, I think Michigan gets the W. Their pass D is the best that Penix will face this year, and their O is more than good enough to get the job done.

In particular, Michigan has an advantage with a powerful running attack and physical OL matched against a Huskies rush D that has looked vulnerable this year.

Washington seems to be the sentimental fan favorite and is also getting a surprising amount of love from some of the...<cough cough>..."experts." But I don't see it.

Personally, I've maneuvered myself into a win-win position so I can truly enjoy the game: I bet Michigan to win outright so will make a few bucks if that happens; on the other hand, I hate Michigan so would also be happy for them to lose. Either way, I go to bed with a smile on my face.

Michigan already won. Almost no mention of their extended cheating of their recruiting violations to build this team.

If games get vacated…..which is extremely doubtful….. no one will care. If they win they will be forever known as champions. Even just being there makes them an elite program.

The dye is cast…..

Reactions: bison13
But are people underestimating Harbaugh as well?
What's to underestimate? On paper he's got the best team and coaching staff. He wants to win with a brute force attack like his mentor. He has the perfect team to do it and almost everyone expects it. Why would he change what he does? I don't think he wants to or expects to change what has gotten him here. I feel like Washington is much better at adjusting on the fly to the type of game it is turning out to to be instead of the type of game it wants. The last time Michigan had to go out of character didn't turn out so well. I think this game is going to look more like Michigan's game against TCU than the one against Alabama, but we'll see.

What's to underestimate? On paper he's got the best team and coaching staff. He wants to win with a brute force attack like his mentor. He has the perfect team to do it and almost everyone expects it. Why would he change what he does? I don't think he wants to or expects to change what has gotten him here. I feel like Washington is much better at adjusting on the fly to the type of game it is turning out to to be instead of the type of game it wants. The last time Michigan had to go out of character didn't turn out so well. I think this game is going to look more like Michigan's game against TCU than the one against Alabama, but we'll see.
I think you're grasping at straws here honestly but hope you're right

I am rooting for Washington, but I am very concerned with the Michigan offensive line vs the Washington D-line. Michigan can run that heavy set against anyone to wear clock.

I feel confident Washington can score but do worry about its defense wearing down.

GO HUSKIES!

Second biggest question: is this Jim's last game at Michigan before an NFL return?

I think you're grasping at straws here honestly but hope you're right
Yeah, most on this board despise Harbaugh and I get that but that can't cloud your analysis. You paint this unrealistic picture of Deboer being this incredible in game adjuster coach and head and shoulders above Harbaugh in coaching ability. Harbaugh is an excellent coach who will have a good gameplan. Would love to see the Huskies pull it off but also need to be realistic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT