ADVERTISEMENT

cargo ship full of Porsches on fire in the Atlantic

Beg to differ. When last crewmember left ship. The ship and contents became fair game.

Fair game for who?
Who is going to take over that ship?
This isn't the MCU.
The X-men don't have a blackbird which can land crew on the ship within minutes.

LdN

Does anyone want to pitch in and rent a barge to pick up the cars?
5f9862b8d8e7de6a3edac00a_ratespage%202.jpg

That's not quite true. Clearly they are within the vicinity of the ship.

LdN
That’s absolutely “not quite true”. Often a misunderstood law, because a ship on the high seas is abandoned as a result of an emergency it is not subject to maritime free salvage statutes. That international law has more to do with safe navigation and vessels not under flag authority, then a ship that has been abandoned due to an emergency.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
That’s absolutely “not quite true”. Often a misunderstood law, because a ship on the high seas is abandoned as a result of an emergency it is not subject to maritime free salvage statutes. That international law has more to do with safe navigation and vessels not under flag authority, then a ship that has been abandoned due to an emergency.

OMG. You're going to hurt a lot of feelings!

LdN

Judging from the photos the fire appears contained in the machinery spaces located aft. Cargo spaces forward of the machinery space fire boundry. If the machinery space fixed firefighting agent has been deployed there's a good possibility the cargo won't be damaged at all. But one truism always applies in the shipping world and that is "ships happen". gCaptain is reporting firefighting salvage tugs are enroute. All the best!!!

Judging from the photos the fire appears contained in the machinery spaces located aft. Cargo spaces forward of the machinery space fire boundry. If the machinery space fixed firefighting agent has been deployed there's a good possibility the cargo won't be damaged at all. But one truism always applies in the shipping world and that is "ships happen". gCaptain is reporting firefighting salvage tugs are enroute. All the best!!!
If the fire had been contained would the crew have abandoned ship? From the pics it looks like calm waters and clear skies so better and safer to stay with the ship until help arrives.

If the fire had been contained would the crew have abandoned ship? From the pics it looks like calm waters and clear skies so better and safer to stay with the ship until help arrives.
That’s a great question. On car carriers the crews quarters and living spaces are on the top deck and on top of the cargo area, forward aft, whereas with bulkers, containers and tankers the living quarters are in the pagoda usually aft of the cargo spaces. There’s not of of loyalty between the crew and the ships owners. Crews are hired guns and without a doubt their hides come first and to hell with the ship and cargo. I don’t know the circumstances here but I do know seafarers from third world countries work 9 and sometimes 12 month contracts for not a lot of money and I think shipping companies take huge advantage of these people. The crewmen need the money to take care of their families, but they’re not unaware that they are being taken advantage of. It’s a hard life.

That’s a great question. On car carriers the crews quarters and living spaces are on the top deck and on top of the cargo area, forward aft, whereas with bulkers, containers and tankers the living quarters are in the pagoda usually aft of the cargo spaces. There’s not of of loyalty between the crew and the ships owners. Crews are hired guns and without a doubt their hides come first and to hell with the ship and cargo. I don’t know the circumstances here but I do know seafarers from third world countries work 9 and sometimes 12 month contracts for not a lot of money and I think shipping companies take huge advantage of these people. The crewmen need the money to take care of their families, but they’re not unaware that they are being taken advantage of. It’s a hard life.
Don’t doubt anything you said. But manning the life rafts on the high seas is pretty risky business. Just getting on the water is dangerous. And then drifting about the ocean waiting for rescue.......

Methinks the ship would have be in serious danger ....fire spreading out of control or in danger of going down before they abandon it.

Don’t doubt anything you said. But manning the life rafts on the high seas is pretty risky business. Just getting on the water is dangerous. And then drifting about the ocean waiting for rescue.......

Methinks the ship would have be in serious danger ....fire spreading out of control or in danger of going down before they abandon it.
They actually abandoned ship in a stern self launching sheltered motorized lifeboat. Not rafts. Rafts are a last resort. I’m sure too it’s a bad fire. My point was the seaman aren’t going to risk their lives to fight the fire or go down with the ship like in the movies.

Gonna be a total loss thanks to the ev batteries. There were some low production vws on that ship that I’m hoping to pick up next year so not pleased that these are being removed from the already low supply.

Reactions: tlbakernc
A friend of mine is a Porsche sales manager for a Ct. dealership and they had ten vehicles on that ship. Supposedly, it was docking somewhere in RI.

Reactions: Obliviax
Probably EV batteries failing.
the fire was worsened by the EV batteries, maybe started there, but the whole episode up to the fire, the fire is out, the boat sinks seemed a little odd to me, which made me think insurance scam of some sort. Or terribly bad luck

Ship sunk!

I thought this was an interesting article.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT