ADVERTISEMENT

Can Syracuse

sammyk

Oct 26, 2001
start to challenge Penn State for the top college football team in the Northeast ? Dino Babers doing a great job up there making them a relevant team again. Also they are the only team in the ACC given a shot of beating Clemson

Last edited:
I doubt Syracuse poses a challenge. They play in a horrid conference, with one big time game. This year, they have a chance at an excellent record,
That is for sure. If they somehow pull off the Clemson upset, they could go 12-0. That ACC is pathetic

No. They haven't been relevant since Schwartzwalder. Was it this years and last years recruiting classes in the upper 50s and 60s that led you to this conclusion?

The three Yankee schools in the ACC are afterthoughts. The conference would be happy if at least one of them has eight wins in a given season. The occasional upset of Clemson is good publicity too since the Tigers are penciled into the playoff anyway. The conference then gets press in the northeast when they otherwise wouldn't. Beyond that, I doubt anyone south of the Potomac really cares.

I would think this will be Barbers last year with the Cuse. He will be a hot commodity as teams look to upgrade coaches.
I have a friend who played for Babers and was on his staff at Syracuse for a year. He feels confident Babers will funish his career there. He signed an extension at the end of last season (granted, that doesn't mean much). He said Babers is an older guy (he is 58) who waited a long time for his shot at a HC job in a power 5 conference and is very appreciative of the opportunity he was given by Cuse. Getting back to his age, not many schools who are above Syracuse in the pecking order are going to give a 5 year contract to a guy who is pushing 60 years old. So I think he may be in the perfect place for him.

They definitely can put a dent in it at least, but i do not see them becoming a thorn in our sides. Dino is staying there for awhile and is a terrific coach, if you say he isn't you are kidding yourself. Plus he is kinda doing what Franklin did at the beginning of his tenure with recruiting PA heavy, but only with the Northeast (NE, NY, etc). Also, i saw a comment earlier about their crappy dome, which from all accounts i have heard it is, but its set to undergo an incredible renovation in a couple of years.

Assuming they continue to be a decent team, they will get some NY recruits that PSU might have historically snagged. This isn't as large of an issue as it would have been 20 years ago, since recruiting is much more national now.

Having worked for Syracuse for two years, even accounting for my obvious PSU bias, I can tell you that PSU beats Syracuse in almost every metric that a recruit should consider (campus, athletic facilities, fan support, and yes, even weather; some would probably argue that SU is better academically, but I think they are well regarded for a handful of majors and PSU is a better school over all). So basically they are just selling the coaching staff, which might work for some kids, but I'm not too worried.

They definitely can put a dent in it at least, but i do not see them becoming a thorn in our sides. Dino is staying there for awhile and is a terrific coach, if you say he isn't you are kidding yourself. Plus he is kinda doing what Franklin did at the beginning of his tenure with recruiting PA heavy, but only with the Northeast (NE, NY, etc). Also, i saw a comment earlier about their crappy dome, which from all accounts i have heard it is, but its set to undergo an incredible renovation in a couple of years.

Incredible renovation? Like getting rid of the air support roof? And making the roof transparent at the top? Earth shattering.

The dome sucks. The majority of top players won't want to play there.

Was just going to post that. Their facilities cap the level they can attain. Babers is a West Coast Guy. If U$C doesn’t go hard after Liar this year, Babers could end up there.

Incredible renovation? Like getting rid of the air support roof? And making the roof transparent at the top? Earth shattering.
just googled the specifics of it and ya not that great, its a good atmosphere though when its packed.

Wasn't Joe hoping for a "Big East" superconference before joining the B1G?

Penn State, Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, West Virginia, Temple....?

Exactly. If he continues to produce winning teams he ends up at an Illinois, Arkansas, or Colorado when they make a coaching change.
Why leave Syracuse for any of those programs? They are looking at a minimum 5 year rebuild, which puts Babers at 64 before the program could be competitive in their league. And if you are that school, and you need a five year rebuild, wouldn't you be more likely to hire a younger guy who could do the rebuild and then take it further?
That said, I think Dino would be a great hire for anyone. As is always the case, money talks. But if he were to leave Syracuse I suspect it will be for a higher profile job such as USC as another poster alluded to above.

Why leave Syracuse for any of those programs? .
It depends on how much you love coaching and what your retirement plans are. If you can increase your salary by $1-1.5 million per year and know you are getting out in 5 years, why wouldn't you do that?

Exactly. If he continues to produce winning teams he ends up at an Illinois, Arkansas, or Colorado when they make a coaching change.

Aurburn, Ole Miss, Arkansas, University of Arizona, Illinois, and even FSU if things fall apart, could be looking for coaches and Barber would be on their lists.

No Syracuse fan here, likewise one prone to hyperbole - but this is an ignorant statement

If top 20 is relevant then I have to agree with you. Pasqualone had some top 20 years with one outstanding year. I have never considered Syracuse as a football power which is what relevant means to me.

The dome resembles a flak tower from WW2 Berlin on the outside and it doesn’t even have air conditioning. Turns into a greenhouse if the outdoor temp is above 70. ‘Cuse had a cupcake schedule last year and never plays anyone OOC. People are a bit over the top with their record last year. It’s a 6-8 win program annually at best.

He doesn't get enough credit for being a really good football coach. Should land a big time job if any AD has any Football knowledge.

Dino Babers' former assistant coach and disciple, Sean Lewis, in his 2nd year, has already brought energy and talent to Kent State. Youngest coach in FBS, 6'7", former Wisconsin QB, high-energy, driven guy. I think he'll make Kent State a winner and then take a marquis job... as did Don James, Glen Mason, Darrel Hazell...

Dino Babers' former assistant coach and disciple, Sean Lewis, in his 2nd year, has already brought energy and talent to Kent State. Youngest coach in FBS, 6'7", former Wisconsin QB, high-energy, driven guy. I think he'll make Kent State a winner and then take a marquis job... as did Don James, Glen Mason, Darrel Hazell...

Hold up. He’s 6’7??? Dude must be great

I wouldnt use DH as an example

Would be nice if the Mods just cleaned up these type of situations.

you probably would be good at editing the Subject lines.

I do, occasionally, modify them -- sometimes to make them less confusing, sometimes to make them shorter, etc. However, I try to save those actions for situations where real problems will exist if I don't take action.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
you probably would be good at editing the Subject lines.

I do, occasionally, modify them -- sometimes to make them less confusing, sometimes to make them shorter, etc. However, I try to save those actions for situations where real problems will exist if I don't take action.

Congratulations ILLINOISLION, I figured Tom would make you a moderator sooner or later

Lewis’ first year at KSU (last year) wasn’t very successful - including a complete bloodbath at PSU.

That said, I expect he might move things in the right direction.

FWIW: He is one of the guys I would have loved to see CJF hire to replace Moorhead.
Whether he coulda’ been brought to PSU as an OC (as opposed to HC at KSU)? We will never know.
But PSU coulda’ paid him twice as much as he’s making at KSU.

His first year record (2-10) doesn't reflect that they should have beaten Illiniois, led Ole Miss late in 3rd qtr., lost several close MAC games, etc. Remarkable given the huge disparity in resources.

There's a whole different energy there now, thanks to Lewis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT