ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone enlighten me on the transfer rules.

corkster999

Jan 17, 2002
Fields is looking for a “Hardship waiver” from the NCAA to have immediate eligibility should he transfer. I don’t understand what the “hardship” is and he certainly is not a graduate transfer. Georgia is not under sanctions so I’m kind of unsure how the rule works.

What constitutes a “hardship” isn’t at all defined by the NCAA - it’s a total black box. The NCAA has been granting a whole lot more requests for hardship waivers lately in basketball, so I don’t blame any player for giving it a shot and seeing what happens.

I think the NCAA is on a quick path towards eliminating the sit-out rule altogether (which is, IMO, the right thing to do by the players), so I don’t really see too much of an issue with it if he does pursue it and is successful.

Reactions: Anison
Fields is looking for a “Hardship waiver” from the NCAA to have immediate eligibility should he transfer. I don’t understand what the “hardship” is and he certainly is not a graduate transfer. Georgia is not under sanctions so I’m kind of unsure how the rule works.
Somebody in Georgia used the N word, so he is afraid and needs to transfer. That's the hardship.

What constitutes a “hardship” isn’t at all defined by the NCAA - it’s a total black box. The NCAA has been granting a whole lot more requests for hardship waivers lately in basketball, so I don’t blame any player for giving it a shot and seeing what happens.

I think the NCAA is on a quick path towards eliminating the sit-out rule altogether (which is, IMO, the right thing to do by the players), so I don’t really see too much of an issue with it if he does pursue it and is successful.

I disagree. This makes things more like free agency, which I don’t like. Jim Hairball I’m sure likes it.

Reactions: ralphster
Somebody in Georgia used the N word, so he is afraid and needs to transfer. That's the hardship.
I expect the NCAA to grant this since they are more worried about their PC image than anything else. Once they do, there is virtually no transfer rule, kind of like the medical redshirt turning into just the redshirt. No reason needed.

If Fields is under the impression that Columbus is a bastion of enlightened civility I think he will be in for a rude awakening.

Reactions: doc69 and paws1957
Has it ever been reported that Fields is looking to apply for a waiver? Or are people just connecting dots between Fields wanting to transfer, and the media suggesting he could apply for a waiver.

Open transfer if you’re going to Michigan.

Yeah, I don’t think the incident would have bothered him if he was the starting QB...funny how that works.

Understand this isn't Field's basis for transferring. His basis is playing time over the next year or two. His family hired a lawyer to help him, and a report surfaced online that the baseball player's use of the N-Word during the UGA game would be the lawyer's argument for getting the hardship rule. Fields has been quiet about the whole thing. It's the same lawyer Patterson's family used to get the hardship waiver for Shea Patterson to play this year at Michigan.

Understand this isn't Field's basis for transferring. His basis is playing time over the next year or two. His family hired a lawyer to help him, and a report surfaced online that the baseball player's use of the N-Word during the UGA game would be the lawyer's argument for getting the hardship rule. Fields has been quiet about the whole thing. It's the same lawyer Patterson's family used to get the hardship waiver for Shea Patterson to play this year at Michigan.
So if it didn’t bother him then there’s no hardship.

basically what the hardship rule is....is....there should be no hardships while transferring to certain schools

Reactions: Raffycorn
Has it ever been reported that Fields is looking to apply for a waiver? Or are people just connecting dots between Fields wanting to transfer, and the media suggesting he could apply for a waiver.

I don’t have a reference for you, but I did read that he already submitted for his hardship waiver.

Everyone should always submit for a waiver. The NCAA has no rhyme or reason to how they approve them, so Fields would be a fool not to ask for a waiver, no matter his basis for a waiver.

Reactions: Anison
I didn’t say that. Either did Fields. And whatever irritation you may about the situation should be directed at the proper person(s).
I’m sure Fields is involved...I doubt some lawyer’s doing it without his input.

You guys have it backwards. It'll be hardship for OSU if Fields doesn't get to play right away, if Haskins goes pro. They won't be arguing about a hardship for Fields.

They gave Michigan a gift last year, and they will even it up by giving OSU a gift this year. And to make it truly even all around, they will make Stevens sit out this upcoming season.

Everyone should always submit for a waiver. The NCAA has no rhyme or reason to how they approve them, so Fields would be a fool not to ask for a waiver, no matter his basis for a waiver.
Exactly this. You would be doing yourself a disservice not to apply for it, regardless how good your case may be on its face. Also agree with the poster who said the ncaa is trending toward eliminating the one-year sIt our at the rate it’s going anyway.

I read this morning that there are 600 football players in the NCAA transfer database. The genie is already out of the bottle.

You guys have it backwards. It'll be hardship for OSU if Fields doesn't get to play right away, if Haskins goes pro. They won't be arguing about a hardship for Fields.

They gave Michigan a gift last year, and they will even it up by giving OSU a gift this year. And to make it truly even all around, they will make Stevens sit out this upcoming season.
The thing is though, they didn’t just give a gift to Michigan . They also gave gifts to Houston (Deontay Anderson), Nebraska (Breon Dixon), Georgia Tech (Jack DeFoor), UCF (Tre Nixon) UAB (Jarrion Street) and Florida (Van Jefferson). While everyone was focused on Patterson, the NCAA was effectively issuing blanket waivers. The one-year waiting rule is dead.

Exactly this. You would be doing yourself a disservice not to apply for it, regardless how good your case may be on its face. Also agree with the poster who said the ncaa is trending toward eliminating the one-year sIt our at the rate it’s going anyway.

I read this morning that there are 600 football players in the NCAA transfer database. The genie is already out of the bottle.

I didn't realize that Pitt was allowed to have that many players.

The thing is though, they didn’t just give a gift to Michigan . They also gave gifts to Houston (Deontay Anderson), Nebraska (Breon Dixon), Georgia Tech (Jack DeFoor), UCF (Tre Nixon) UAB (Jarrion Street) and Florida (Van Jefferson). While everyone was focused on Patterson, the NCAA was effectively issuing blanket waivers. The one-year waiting rule is dead.

Sounds like a real reach list to me. The trouble with the big 10 is the same rules must apply to the other 10 teams, but they don't.
Once Russel Wilson went to Wisconsin with his grad transfer, it opened up a can of worms, now with the exception of the GT rule looks like some teams will get favored treatment.

Sounds like a real reach list to me. The trouble with the big 10 is the same rules must apply to the other 10 teams, but they don't.
Once Russel Wilson went to Wisconsin with his grad transfer, it opened up a can of worms, now with the exception of the GT rule looks like some teams will get favored treatment.
“Reach list”? In what respect. It’s literally the list of former Ole Miss players who, like Patterson, were allowed to transfer with immediate eligibility last spring.

Let me put this out there. Most of us are in the workforce and are free to seek new employment with other employers, as are NCAA coaches. Can we agree Power 5 football is a business? I know these young men are getting a free education valued at $130-150k+, but should they not be entitled to transfer anywhere they want and not sit out? Is it time for some changes in the rules?

I don't like the premis of this, but D1 football is a different animal today. With that being said, I think Fields is pushing the envelope and regs on this one.

Thoughts??

they need to burn the whole damned thing down and go back to college sports being for students who happen to want to play a sport...let the real football players try out for a minor league NFL developmental thing

of course the money will never let that happen and it will get more gross and ridiculous and crappy in the future until it hopefully collapses

Reactions: YeOldeCup
they need to burn the whole damned thing down and go back to college sports being for students who happen to want to play a sport...let the real football players try out for a minor league NFL developmental thing

of course the money will never let that happen and it will get more gross and ridiculous and crappy in the future until it hopefully collapses

The quality of football being played would be awful if that happened. We need to accept times have changed. And, really, this has been true for decades.

“Reach list”? In what respect. It’s literally the list of former Ole Miss players who, like Patterson, were allowed to transfer with immediate eligibility last spring.

And where would Michigan be without Shea this year, the other players you mentioned are mediocre, nothing more than fillers. This is Michigan's 3rd transfer since JH came there, this shtick is getting old but OSU is catching on. What kind of hardship for the other OSU qb's, besides the old "that sucks fellas".

Reactions: stormingnorm
The issue with the racial slur surfaced months ago. He's obviously tranferring based on wanting playing time but there is absolutely no way the NCAA cannot grant this request. Who's to say he isn't threatened by this?

And where would Michigan be without Shea this year, the other players you mentioned are mediocre, nothing more than fillers. This is Michigan's 3rd transfer since JH came there, this shtick is getting old but OSU is catching on. What kind of hardship for the other OSU qb's, besides the old "that sucks fellas".
You’ve really lost the plot here in service to throwing stones at Michigan, friend. I’m not here to defend UM or Harbaugh; I’m pointing out that the NCAA has made gaining transfer waivers increasingly easier - as evidenced by granting them to all seven Ole Miss transfers last spring.

Fields is going to get the waiver whether he transfers to Ohio State or anywhere else because the NCAA has no interest in stopping these waivers. Likewise, former five star DT Aubrey Solomon is transferring from Michigan to Tennessee and is said to be applying for a hardship waiver - I won’t be surprised at all to see him get it.

You’ve really lost the plot here in service to throwing stones at Michigan, friend. I’m not here to defend UM or Harbaugh; I’m pointing out that the NCAA has made gaining transfer waivers increasingly easier - as evidenced by granting them to all seven Ole Miss transfers last spring.

Fields is going to get the waiver whether he transfers to Ohio State or anywhere else because the NCAA has no interest in stopping these waivers. Likewise, former five star DT Aubrey Solomon is transferring from Michigan to Tennessee and is said to be applying for a hardship waiver - I won’t be surprised at all to see him get it.

As i stated the can of worms was opened when or around the time Russell Wilson went from NC St to Wisconsin. Riddle me this if any of the Bosas' from OSU would claim hardship and decide to end their career at PSU how'd you think that would work out for us.
Maybe each Big ten team should have a farm team in the MAC.

As i stated the can of worms was opened when or around the time Russell Wilson went from NC St to Wisconsin. Riddle me this if any of the Bosas' from OSU would claim hardship and decide to end their career at PSU how'd you think that would work out for us.
At this point, I can only assume the NCAA would grant the waiver. That’s what all the recent data would tell us.

Wilson was a graduate transfer. Totally different than a hardship transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT