ADVERTISEMENT

Calling Brandon Short

Nitt1300

Nov 2, 2008
Brandon, it's been a year now- in answer to my questions, you promised two things when you asked for our votes last year.

1. To keep us informed
2. To make people who needed to feel uncomfortable uncomfortable

Since not everyone tweets or does facebook, I think it's only fair that you talk to us here.

What's up?

Brandon, it's been a year now- in answer to my questions, you promised two things when you asked for our votes last year.

1. To keep us informed

Since not everyone tweets or does facebook, I think it's only fair that you talk to us here.

What's up?

Check’s in the mail.

If you DID do "Facebook" and all that jazz, what you would have been treated to is some "409" and Paterno stuff (Cruise with Sue, Special Olympics, etc)…..

And a (very) small smattering of absolutely vacuous posts of BOT related stuff - all of it mindlessly and effortlessly falling in line with the OGBOT mantras (we need more $$$, the folks on the BOT work so hard, etc).

You wouldn't have found anything else.
You most certainly would not have found a SHRED of discussion / analysis / proposals / communication / thoughts wrt any issue of University governance.

You'll probably hear from him again in 22 months - when his re-election cycle comes back around.

That doesn't make BShort an outlier - obviously :) (and sadly)

It is what it is.
you may be right, but I thought I'd give him a chance to speak his piece, being as how I'm still right here in my usual spot at the bar

1. To keep us informed

What's up?
---
He also promised to look into how the PMA rigged the elections for BoT in the 1990s so that they took full control of the board....then had their puppets on the board vote to have the PMA for-profit insurance arm become the insurer for the university....a huge account making them lots of money.

Then those same puppets changed the school's charter, which only the state has the power to do, so that the L & I members had full and perpetual control of the board and thus the university.

I am sure he is doing so post haste, just like Barron is still reviewing the Fact Freeh report.

1. To keep us informed

What's up?
Stop with the pesky questions. He got on the BOT. Mission accomplished.

---
He also promised to look into how the PMA rigged the elections for BoT in the 1990s so that they took full control of the board....then had their puppets on the board vote to have the PMA for-profit insurance arm become the insurer for the university....a huge account making them lots of money.

Then those same puppets changed the school's charter, which only the state has the power to do, so that the L & I members had full and perpetual control of the board and thus the university.

I am sure he is doing so post haste, just like Barron is still reviewing the Fact Freeh report.
I asked him about the two promises he made to me. I agree that any other promises he made to members here he should speak to here. Even if he has tried and failed on a particular issue, let's hear about it- what were the obstacles?

A lack of total success is understandable - a lack or communication is not.

For the first time since 2012, I don’t plan to vote in this year’s election. What difference does it make if the 3 incumbents get re-elected or someone who is aligned with the Old Guard BOT? The result will be the same.

Other than Anthony Lubrano, I have found all of the alumni elected members of the BOT to be mostly ineffective as my representatives. Given the numbers the OT majority has, I don’t expect them to win any votes, but if they don’t, I’d like to see them out publicly, on this board, PSRS web site, or the press calling out the old guard BOT and taking every opportunity to poke a stick in the eye of Dambly and other OG BOT members in the public portion of the BOT meetings?

For example, when the long awaited Alumni trustee Freeh Report was leaked, why weren’t all the Alumni BOT members out doing press interviews and trying to force the OG BOT into taking some actions? What has happened since the report came out? Nothing. Silence.

For the first time since 2012, I don’t plan to vote in this year’s election. What difference does it make if the 3 incumbents get re-elected or someone who is aligned with the Old Guard BOT? The result will be the same.

Other than Anthony Lubrano, I have found all of the alumni elected members of the BOT to be mostly ineffective as my representatives. Given the numbers the OT majority has, I don’t expect them to win any votes, but if they don’t, I’d like to see them out publicly, on this board, PSRS web site, or the press calling out the old guard BOT and taking every opportunity to poke a stick in the eye of Dambly and other OG BOT members in the public portion of the BOT meetings?

For example, when the long awaited Alumni trustee Freeh Report was leaked, why weren’t all the Alumni BOT members out doing press interviews and trying to force the OG BOT into taking some actions? What has happened since the report came out? Nothing. Silence.

+1
I said I wasn't going to vote this year but I did anyway. Mostly it was so Cat Ballou didn't get elected.
Some devils are better than others.

Other than Anthony Lubrano, I have found all of the alumni elected members of the BOT to be mostly ineffective as my representatives.

I appreciate Lubrano's participation here and the information he shares.

However..., one thing that will forever astonish me is his voting for Lubert as BOT president a few years ago. It would not have made any difference in the outcome. But, for someone who has been openly critical and supposedly knows the dysfunction that exists, it would have been a means to "try" to start effecting change.

Why is it so damn hard for someone to take a stand?

Yeah, except you'll have to listen to the pig fvcker who is aligned with the OGBOT for his term on the board.

Yes! No real expectation that a small number of alumni trustees could make a difference but I sure expected them at least to make a fuss. Nothing. From any of them. I'm done. Won't vote again. And very disappointed in Short. Weak sauce not being a man of your word. Shame on him.

Yes! No real expectation that a small number of alumni trustees could make a difference but I sure expected them at least to make a fuss. Nothing. From any of them. I'm done. Won't vote again. And very disappointed in Short. Weak sauce not being a man of your word. Shame on him.

So your choice is between those that will say nothing and Buttfvck Ballou. Easy choice in my estimation, though I'd write in Barry Fenchak.

Brandon Short never had the ability to facilitate any change on the BoT or how the university is run nor does he have any power to investigate anything from the 90's or change the power dynamic of the BoT. These are powerful, successfull, and well connected people we are talking about that are in the inner circle of the BoT. They'll change if and when THEY want to change.

If you DID do "Facebook" and all that jazz, what you would have been treated to is some "409" and Paterno stuff (Cruise with Sue, Special Olympics, etc)…..

And a (very) small smattering of absolutely vacuous posts of BOT related stuff - all of it mindlessly and effortlessly falling in line with the OGBOT mantras (we need more $$$, the folks on the BOT work so hard, etc).

You wouldn't have found anything else.
You most certainly would not have found a SHRED of discussion / analysis / proposals / communication / thoughts wrt any issue of University governance.

You'll probably hear from him again in 22 months - when his re-election cycle comes back around.

That doesn't make BShort an outlier - obviously :) (and sadly)

It is what it is.
If you are on the Board, you have one duty above all else - - - to conduct the business of responsible stewardship.
And to do it with commitment, effort, and intelligence - and without self-interests and confliction.

That's really all anyone can ask for, or expect.

Shame that it has never happened.
The next alumni elected trustee to conduct the business of responsible stewardship will be the first.

Brandon Short never had the ability to facilitate any change on the BoT or how the university is run nor does he have any power to investigate anything from the 90's or change the power dynamic of the BoT. These are powerful, successfull, and well connected people we are talking about that are in the inner circle of the BoT. They'll change if and when THEY want to change.
Actually, a BoT member has some power to make changes. He could look into bad acts like the stolen 90s elections, how the PMA stole the insurance biz, how the BoT changed its bylaws/charter, how some of these contracts are let, and other bad acts.

Take all that research and go to the media to ask for an investigation. And as a BoT member, he has access to state legislators, the AG office, and the governor and could/should pressure them to investigate. There has to be a couple legislators out of the 200 hundred or so that would take up the baton if for no other reason than getting on TV and free press. AG Shapiro seems to love taking on entrenched powers that be.

It would take courage, would probably fail, and may insure one being removed from the board. But that is the sunlight this corruptocracy needs.

Last edited:
So your choice is between those that will say nothing and Buttfvck Ballou. Easy choice in my estimation, though I'd write in Barry Fenchak.

I did consider voting simply to ensure Ballou was not elected as I don't care for what I've seen about him. But there's no way to do that without voting FOR the other 3. And I won't vote for them. So that leaves me with no one.

Reactions: BBrown
I am far too cynical to be easily stunned.... but even I am taken aback just a bit by the fact that these folks can pop out of their huts every three years and ask to be re-elected - - - - - and that PSU Alums do just that.

When there is someone on the ballot who will pursue change aggressively, I will gladly (bullet) vote for that person

If you are on the Board, you have one duty above all else - - - to conduct the business of responsible stewardship.
And to do it with commitment, effort, and intelligence - and without self-interests and confliction.

That's really all anyone can ask for, or expect.

Brandon Short - and every member of that dysfunctional monstrosity (singling out any one is somewhat unfair, or at least insufficient) - has the opportunity to do just that. To act as a responsible fiduciary.

There is absolutely NOTHING stopping any of the 38 from doing THAT.
"Lacking Votes", "Being in the Minority", "Facing Entrenched Scoundrels", etc.... NONE of that in any way prevents (or even impedes) one's ability to act as a responsible steward.
It does, of course, make it harder to create an environment where the OTHERS will also behave as responsible fiduciaries. But that is a whole 'nother issue.

Nothing prevents acting as a responsible fiduciary - nothing except the usual suspects - - - Sloth and Greed and Lust and Envy and Pride and Wrath and Gluttony. Or whatever combination of the Big 7 apply to each person's particular situation.

If they don't do it? Well, then in the spirit of the ever-quotable Matt Millen :rolleyes: , "That's on them."
I am far too cynical to be easily stunned.... but even I am taken aback just a bit by the fact that these folks can pop out of their huts every three years and ask to be re-elected - - - - - and that PSU Alums do just that.
It must be cold in hell, because I actually agree with something Barry wrote. ;)

Reactions: Nitwit
Is Short just like Taliaferro in that he just wanted BOT on his resume?

Taliaferro was a young kid at the time he ran and was probably advised for his future to play nice.

Short is a seasoned adult. Short knew what he was getting into and didnt need to claim anything to get on the board. Likely he would win either way. So either he was a bald faced liar, which i doubt, or he will do something.

Ldn

I appreciate Lubrano's participation here and the information he shares.

However..., one thing that will forever astonish me is his voting for Lubert as BOT president a few years ago. It would not have made any difference in the outcome. But, for someone who has been openly critical and supposedly knows the dysfunction that exists, it would have been a means to "try" to start effecting change.

Why is it so damn hard for someone to take a stand?
Some times there are threats involved to the person and occasionally extended to one's family. LOL, Avg, do you actually know the leverage with persons of political influence have.

There is no shining knight to save the day as so many telivision shows seem to delude common sense reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Does anyone even take the BOT seriously? Come on. They are corporate lackies! PSU is a business and political machine. It’s a money grab, just like our government for people who get involved and want to play the game. Get in, toe the line and you’ll have a good life.

Last edited:
Anyone (Barry?) know how many meetings Short attended in person? I know his living abroad was a concern for some and he said it wouldn’t be a problem. Just curious as to whether he was able to make most or all meetings.

So much for his self promoted international business experience being relevant to the BoT

giphy.gif

Anyone (Barry?) know how many meetings Short attended in person? I know his living abroad was a concern for some and he said it wouldn’t be a problem. Just curious as to whether he was able to make most or all meetings.
This comment makes my point about how ineffective our elected alumni trustees have been. Whether Short attended all the meetings or none of the meetings, I can’t remember a single issue he had an impact on. And i’m not just picking on Short here. I can say the same about all of our elected trustees. What issues of importance to the alumni, has any of the current 9 had a significant impact on during the course of their terms?

This comment makes my point about how ineffective our elected alumni trustees have been. Whether Short attended all the meetings or none of the meetings, I can’t remember a single issue he had an impact on. And i’m not just picking on Short here. I can say the same about all of our elected trustees. What issues of importance to the alumni, has any of the current 9 had a significant impact on during the course of their terms?
I've thought for a long time that the only answer lies in Harrisburg- if the voters ever wake up, that is.

Reactions: Madsol
I've thought for a long time that the only answer lies in Harrisburg- if the voters ever wake up, that is.
I agree. The current minority position on the BOT has ensured that no meaningful impact on issues is going to take place in BOT meetings.

So why haven’t our alumni trustees made this job one? Why haven’t they held very public meetings with PA congressmen, publicly calling out those who want to keep the status quo and current BOT structure? Sadly, it seems that once elected, our alumni trustees seem to be more concerned with being hit with the BOT’s “Lubrano rule” and getting kicked off than they are about having any real impact on issues that are important to the alumni.

Reactions: Madsol and Nitt1300
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT