ADVERTISEMENT

Cael's guys vs Oregon St tonight

26-zip PSU after Carter Starocci tech falled Travis Wittlake 19-3.

Final: PSU 36 OSU-West 3
Truax with the only loss
Brooks and Kerkviet finish things with tech falls.

Last edited:
Record crowd of 8500+ for Oregon State wrestling. At least they got to see the best team in the sport.
But as usual not a competitive match which is the problem with wrestling. It's the one sport where we're truly unrivaled

Reactions: aworsnup
But as usual not a competitive match which is the problem with wrestling. It's the one sport where we're truly unrivaled
I agree that the team match was not competitive and that Penn State is clearly unrivaled. However, there were a number of individual matches that were very competitive and compelling to watch. It was actually a fairly entertaining duel to watch.

I couldn't say one way or another, but I would think a duel with lots of action and some close matches... Even with the team score being lopsided, would be more interesting to a new fan than watching a close Iowa team match where nobody does anything the whole time.

I agree that the team match was not competitive and that Penn State is clearly unrivaled. However, there were a number of individual matches that were very competitive and compelling to watch. It was actually a fairly entertaining duel to watch.

I couldn't say one way or another, but I would think a duel with lots of action and some close matches... Even with the team score being lopsided, would be more interesting to a new fan than watching a close Iowa team match where nobody does anything the whole time.
Fair enough but if the outcome is never in question there's no point to watch IMO. College wrestling would benefit from some parity. Like a lot of other sports...like MLB

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Fair enough but if the outcome is never in question there's no point to watch IMO. College wrestling would benefit from some parity. Like a lot of other sports...like MLB
That's up to the other schools to catch up, like every other dynasty that naturally ends.

Right now, State College is the center of the wrestling world. Both in NCAA and Senior level. And it's still getting stronger.

That's up to the other schools to catch up, like every other dynasty that naturally ends.

Right now, State College is the center of the wrestling world. Both in NCAA and Senior level. And it's still getting stronger.
Wrestling has always been like this long before we were dominant.

Reactions: Ski
Just say it. As it stands, college wrestling is meaningless to you. Let's go for a few hundred posts on this topic. Proceed.
People can enjoy wrestling. It's not meaningless. There's a title to be won but thats pretty much already been decided before the game. Basically it's like playing Delaware every time. Meaningful but boring.

People can enjoy wrestling. It's not meaningless. There's a title to be won but thats pretty much already been decided before the game. Basically it's like playing Delaware every time. Meaningful but boring.
I don't disagree at all with the concept that PSU is all but guaranteed to win the team championship. I think where I differ is that wrestling is an individual support with a team component.... It is very different from most team sports.

While PSU will win the team championship, there is no guarantee that any particular wrestler will win. There are certainly heavy favorites, but as we saw with RBY last year, nothing is guaranteed at the individual level. That is what makes it interesting even in a year where the team title will be lopsided.

Reactions: Ski
I don't disagree at all with the concept that PSU is all but guaranteed to win the team championship. I think where I differ is that wrestling is an individual support with a team component.... It is very different from most team sports.

While PSU will win the team championship, there is no guarantee that any particular wrestler will win. There are certainly heavy favorites, but as we saw with RBY last year, nothing is guaranteed at the individual level. That is what makes it interesting even in a year where the team title will be lopsided.
That's fair--I don't care about the individual aspect as much.

Reactions: paradox1984
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT