ADVERTISEMENT

Cadillac Lyriq Question

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
So Cadillac is coming out with this car in the third quarter. It is ~ $60k. it is an EV with over 300 mile range. I've been invited to order one this week before they become generally available. The comparable BMW, Mercedes is substantially more expensive. I can order it for $100 and turn it down. Friends are telling me to buy it and then sell it when I get it if I don't want it. Caddy is trying to start a bidding war by underpricing it (comparatively, I've never spend close to that for a car in my life). Thoughts?

Lyriq-at-Spring-Hill-announcement-1024x604.jpg

Cadillac-Lyriq-1-Copy-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

It's rear wheel drive, that won't be very helpful in winter.
well the first version is RWD. That brings up the question as to why all of these EVs are coming out RWD? One would think FWD, until AWD is available, would have been the way to go. I can order the AWD but it costs $2,500 more.

Last edited:
well the first version is RWD. That brings up the question as to why all of these EVs are coming out RWD? One would think FWD, until AWD is available, would have been the way to go. I can order the AWD but it costs $2,500 more.
Be very skeptical of the range estimates. That "up to 300 miles" probably depends on your tooling along at a steady 40 mph with minimal periods of acceleration. Then, how long does it take to recharge?

I have a RWD Tesla and the conventional wisdom of RWD being bad in the snow does not apply. EVs are heavy as hell and have a perfectly balanced weigh distribution. Gas cars have a heavy engine in the front and are light in the rear so don’t get good traction and easily fishtail in the snow with RWD.

IF you need a new car AND you are willing to drive this and/or want to try out an EV then go for it. The ability to flip it and maybe make some money is a safety net, but shouldn't be your driver.

My bride and I have a 94 Wrangler that is a toy, a 2010 Mazda 5 with 100kmiles and a 2016 Rav4 with about 50k. We both work locally- my commute is 7 miles round trip. She works at home 2 days and drives 12 miles round trip the other 3. We assume our next new car will be an EV but are going to hold out as long as we can to see how the market emerges and because our needs are so minimal.

It could be a fun experiment with an upside if you are willing to invest the time and potential risk of $. But if you don't like the look and features of the vehicle spend your I tellectual capital elsewhere

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Both god points above. Fact is they sold out of the first 20000 units before I ordered it. So my delivery will probably slip into 2023. GM of course, has built tons of cars. The software is upgradable. This is also the first larger EV/suv I’ve seen. This is larger than a BMW I5.

Consumer Reports reports that Cadillac reliability is crap. I’d be wary of a brand new model year and make

Consumer Reports reports that Cadillac reliability is crap. I’d be wary of a brand new model year and make
I am not a fan of CR. Years ago they were great but the difference between good and bad today is minimal. They handed the Tesla but go talk to anyone that owns one. Ive got a 12 year old range Range Rover with 130k that has been great.

i agree that caddie been good body integrity versus the euro cars, it is S $20k cheaper. Plus I wax and detail my cars several times a year and it will be garaged.

having said that I totally agree with you but given my circumstances, I am less concerned

I think the inside and outside styling are interesting and unique, here's Autoblog's write-up dated yesterday.

Looks better in these picks. Did like the OP pics. But very little cargo space and low rear headroom. The interior looked u inspiring. But having video screens for rear seats was cool.

Reactions: Obliviax
Looks better in these picks. Did like the OP pics. But very little cargo space and low rear headroom. The interior looked u inspiring. But having video screens for rear seats was cool.
Yep. The cargo room appears to be lacking. But how much cargo do you want in this type of car?

The bottom line to me is that it appears to be underpriced considering the competition

One other thing, no $7000 credit from the government as GM has outsold that allotment. I can’t take it anyway but probably a reason why it is so inexpensive. GM dropped the price of the bolt $6000 when their tax credits expired

It's rear wheel drive, that won't be very helpful in RWD A
It's rear wheel drive, that won't be very helpful in winter.
With proper winter tires, an RWD vehicle will offer more-secure winter driving than an AWD car/crossover with shitty “all-season” tires ….

Consumers have been groomed to buy a ($2,500) bill of goods that AWD, alone , is the solution for winter…. AWD is the 21st century vinyl top

LOL...I should have known better than to work with GM.

So I ordered a Lyriq for $100 to reserve my place in line on the second day there were available. The entire 2022 allotment were taken in the first couple of hours. After reading the articles, assuming Caddy doesn't increase production quickly, I'd see my car in the spring of 2023. OK, no problem...good for GM.

I get an email confirming my order with a reference number. I drive to the dealer to see what is up and see if they know anything I don't about delivery. The sales person takes my data, disappears for a few minutes and then returns to tell my order wasn't "submitted" and I had to order it again through the dealer and may not see a car until 2024. I said 'but I got an email"? Sorry, not submitted. "but I have a reference number". Sorry, not submitted. So then I asked "So how could I get a reference number if I didn't 'submit' my order?' Sorry, not submitted.

Total BS. What happened, I am willing to bet, is that orders were so strong they are trying to get those slots canceled so they can a) deliver them through dealers and b) mark the car up to a higher price.

I am 100% certain GM is lying but am not 100% certain why

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT