ADVERTISEMENT

Cadet U16 Duals

BrockBronson

May 20, 2021
Is this Pennsylvania’s best team? How doesn’t PA win these events easily. I could see us losing in Greco but not Freestyle. How does Ohio beat us? Is Van Plocus still at the helm? Iowa seems to have a strong crop of cadets and juniors. Maybe the Hawkeyes will be relevant again soon.

Is this Pennsylvania’s best team? How doesn’t PA win these events easily. I could see us losing in Greco but not Freestyle. How does Ohio beat us? Is Van Plocus still at the helm? Iowa seems to have a strong crop of cadets and juniors. Maybe the Hawkeyes will be relevant again soon.
Iowa has been up and down over the years at the high school level but it seems like they are coming into a period where they are going to be very good. Lots of top end talent at most weights with a few real studs sprinkled in. Will be fun to watch them develop

I’m not sure that the teams PA sent are filled with the absolute best guy or girl at each weight class for the age but rather the best available athletes they could nab. Don’t get me wrong, the kids they send for the teams are still very good, but they’re not the Bo Bassett’s, Jax Forrest’s, and Adam Waters of the world who come to mind when comprising a team of PA all stars. Plus, many kids have vacations and other obligations during the summer. There’s also Fargo in July which is far from cheap to attend/travel to and usually attracts more of the PA studs we’re accustomed to seeing at big time tournaments.

I’m not sure that the teams PA sent are filled with the absolute best guy or girl at each weight class for the age but rather the best available athletes they could nab. Don’t get me wrong, the kids they send for the teams are still very good, but they’re not the Bo Bassett’s, Jax Forrest’s, and Adam Waters of the world who come to mind when comprising a team of PA all stars. Plus, many kids have vacations and other obligations during the summer. There’s also Fargo in July which is far from cheap to attend/travel to and usually attracts more of the PA studs we’re accustomed to seeing at big time tournaments.
The Bassetts and Forrest's of the world arent' eligible for U16, so that might be a reason. They would be Jr Duals this summer

Here is a novel idea. Not all the top kids wrestle FS/GR. And of those that do, some choose to focus on Fargo, rather than traveling the dual circuit for FF's and not always the best kids in the competitions state. Compound that with the cost, and most kids basically have to choose one event.

Reactions: Ski
Duals are won by the state association that can get the most hammers to go on the trip. Iowa and Illinois are the kings of it right now, and kudos to them on it.

On the other hand, the very best wrestlers in our country are wrestling FS/GR, and the highest achievement in wrestling is not the age group, developmental NCAA tournament.

Willie brought up that Juniors was down a bit, and I couldn't agree more. Duals is a grinder, and kids seem to be passing on that opportunity for other things. NHSCA's, PNL, and Regionals have all happened in the last month. That's a lot of miles and dollars.

I won't lie, my club benefitted from it, as we had a few kids that maybe wouldn't get asked in other years get the opportunity. However, the... "mystique" is lessened. Kind of a bummer. Again, great job on those state associations who can keep the luster. I'm hoping ours starts looking a new direction to entice our "top" athletes to attend.

It's called the offseason for a reason.
Doesn’t stop a lot of fans from proclaiming that Iowa HS wrestling is closing the gap.

Boy will they be confused 4 years down the road when the NCAA podiums pretty much look the same.

They seem to treat the duals and fargo as their Super Bowl. I agree, Iowa is a solid wrestling state but no where near Pennsylvania.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT