ADVERTISEMENT

BWI Mapquest question...

Victor E. Bell

Aug 28, 2001
Ridge and Valley Province
Driving from State Coll to Williamsburg, VA tomorrow (yes, I know, bad idea). 522 straight out of Breezewood all the way down to I-64 and then E to Wmbg. looks like a good alternative to the 270/95/295 deal which I anticipate will be an unmitigated nightmare. Opinion?

Driving from State Coll to Williamsburg, VA tomorrow (yes, I know, bad idea). 522 straight out of Breezewood all the way down to I-64 and then E to Wmbg. looks like a good alternative to the 270/95/295 deal which I anticipate will be an unmitigated nightmare. Opinion?
don't know about all of that, but once you get to Williamsburg, a trip to Pierces BBQ is in order, for a pulled pork sandwich or 4. Pick up a couple bottles of their sauce, its great.

http://www.pierces.com/

upon further review, 522 looks like a twisty turny country road, that you will be on for a good 5-6 hrs. Some people like that. I agree with avoiding the 95 thing, you may want to look at 99 to 70 to 81 s to 64 east. They will be a lot to traffic, esp truck traffic, but it will always be moving. Biggest problem is 2 trucks trying to pass each other one going 55 and the other going 58 on 81, not as scenic, but maybe less stressful.

Reactions: psu1969a
I'd take 81S to 66E, then U.S. 17 south to I-95 in Fredericksburg. I'd also use the Waze app to help me avoid potential bottlenecks. You're only on 95 for about 50 miles until you hit 295 above Richmond, then take it to 64E. I get the trepidation about 95, but it's a short distance (40-45 mins) and you have the option of exiting to use U.S. 1 to avoid bottlenecks due to a crash/etc. You just need to ensure your navigator knows how to use Waze and looks ahead for issues. My wife has gotten very good at it.

A quote from this site that I will never forget ... "I95 - where vacations go to die".

If I were driving this route, I would take I99 to PA Turnpike to Breezewood, follow I70 to Hancock, MD, then US522 to Winchester, VA.
Take a right onto VA 37 and go to I81 south to I66 toward DC. it and follow US17 south to Fredericksburg. I95 south (where vacations go to die) to I 295 to I64.

Your problems will US522 from Hancock to VA state line - say hello to Demlion for us - and US17 will be heavy traffic.

Have a safe trip.

522 is a PITA. It's twisty, turny, up and down mountains.......
64 isn't too bad once you get on it.
We usually do 522 to 81 to 66 to 17 to 95 to 64 on our way to Newport News. 522 is the worst stretch.

I'd go South on 99 to the Turnpike, over to 70.

Make a decision when you get to Hagerstown based on the traffic around DC and Baltimore. If traffic is very heavy go South on 81 to 64. If traffic is light follow 70 to Frederick.

In Frederick make another decision based on DC traffic Vs Baltimore traffic. If you choose DC traffic take 270 across to 95 to 295 to 64. If you choose Baltimore take 70 to 29 to 100 to 97 to 301 (which is also Rt. 3) to 295 to 64

Assuming the DC traffic is horrible and without additional information I'd probably take the Baltimore route. There is one 8 - 10 mile section of 301 with traffic lights, but the rest is a divided 4 lane highway that has very few lights. It's actually a nice drive.

Last edited:
I lived in Newport News for a bit, and now live in Florida so I and my parents are very familiar with the routes that everyone has discussed.
I personally, on a holiday weekend, would avoid anything to do with DC, Baltimore, Frederick LIKE THE PLAGUE. Sure a traffic app can help, but on a day with a lot of cars on the road, it can change in an instant. Once you are committed, you're stuck.
81 to 66 to 17 to pick up 95 at Fredericksburg. You would be surprised how little distance it adds and you don't have the same traffic risks as the DC/Baltimore/Frederick route

Reactions: psu1969a
I-99 South to I/76-70 East to Breezewood. I-70 East toward Baltimore. Exit on US-15 South just before Frederick, MD. US-15 South to Opal, VA outside of Warrenton, where you jump on US-17 South. Follow about 30 miles to I-95 South at Falmouth north of Fredericksburg, VA. I-95 South to I-295 to I-64 East to Williamsburg.

Reactions: royboy
Made the trip last week. 95,495,270,70,76,99 was a breeze. Was able to miss rush hour around DC.
If you have EZPass. There are lightly used express lanes on 95.

Yes!! Keep on 81S till you hit 64. You could get off 81 at Winchester and hit 95 S at Fredricsburg, but that can be a hitch too.

I'd take 81S to 66E, then U.S. 17 south to I-95 in Fredericksburg. I'd also use the Waze app to help me avoid potential bottlenecks. You're only on 95 for about 50 miles until you hit 295 above Richmond, then take it to 64E. I get the trepidation about 95, but it's a short distance (40-45 mins) and you have the option of exiting to use U.S. 1 to avoid bottlenecks due to a crash/etc. You just need to ensure your navigator knows how to use Waze and looks ahead for issues. My wife has gotten very good at it.
I think this is a good suggestion to avoid DC. I go east to Quantico from here and use 81S to 66E to 234 and completely avoid DC. 17 would hit 95S further down and be a good choice.
I don't think 522 south of I70 would be worth the aggravation.

Trust me man...I've done this a lot. Take 81S all the way to 64E. Yes, it's 60 miles further and worth every mile. Trust me. The Warrington route sucks....you might wait an hour just to get on 95S at Fredricsburg...don't do it man.

Reactions: demlion
Trust me man...I've done this a lot. Take 81S all the way to 64E. Yes, it's 60 miles further and worth every mile. Trust me. The Warrington route sucks....you might wait an hour just to get on 95S at Fredricsburg...don't do it man.
Interested to know what you choose....let us know how it went.

Interested to know what you choose....let us know how it went.

Will do. I appreciate all the comments from everyone.

"Don't do it man" sounds ominous, I gotta admit. I have a friend who works there who is a St. Coll ex-pat who says 522. I have a friend who plays golf there a lot who says the 17 to Fredericksbg/95 as do many here. Maybe I'll go home that way. I'm leaning toward coming in from the western front at this stage.

At Culpeper i would take 3 to 95. Puts you on 95 at Fredricksburg. Either way you have Richmond traffic.

Live in Richmond and I have tried all routes mentioned here (and then some.) For Holiday travel the best will be 99 to Bedford, 30 or Turnpike to Breezewood; 70 south to Hancock, Md; 522 south toward Winchester; 37 North and I-81 south around Winchester to Rt. 17; 17 south through Delaplane to Warrenton; 17/29 south to Opal; 29 south from Opal to Culpeper; Rt. 15 south from Culpeper through Orange and Gordonsville to Zion's Crossroads; I-64 east from Zion's Crossroads to Richmond; I-295 around the north side of Richmond to I-64 east of Richmond and on to Williamsburg. Avoid 17 from Opal to Fredericksburg and I-95 at all costs!

Reactions: MrDibbs
A quote from this site that I will never forget ... "I95 - where vacations go to die".

If I were driving this route, I would take I99 to PA Turnpike to Breezewood, follow I70 to Hancock, MD, then US522 to Winchester, VA.
Take a right onto VA 37 and go to I81 south to I66 toward DC. it and follow US17 south to Fredericksburg. I95 south (where vacations go to die) to I 295 to I64.

Your problems will US522 from Hancock to VA state line - say hello to Demlion for us - and US17 will be heavy traffic.

Have a safe trip.
There is a Berkeley Springs bypass. coming in from the North turn right at the first light onto Rt. 9 West. Travel that road a mile or less and take a left on Cold Run Valley Rd. Follow Cold Run Valley all the way to 522. No lights and very little traffic. You miss all the lights in Berk Sps, and come out south of town with no more lights until Winchester 35 miles away.

Reactions: MrDibbs
I post tonight from hotel in Williamsburg, having made it in about 7 hours excluding stops. Took 99/30/70/522/33/295/64. Yes, It added a good 45 min to an hour but it was far quicker than my counterpart who incorporated 17 and 95 into his travels and had to bail onto rte 1 things were so bad and congested. I beat him down here by at least 1:45. More red lights my way but no traffic woes and beautiful country. Thinking about going home the same way. Travel time was not a consideration as much as minimizing stress behind the wheel.

I think it was PSUTENN who convinced me with "Trust me, don't do it man." My kid must have said 4 times..."Don't do it man, trust me." We were laughing about it but it worked out great. It was about 360 miles. Again thanks for all inputs and Happy Thanksgiving.

Oh, and part of 522 in VA is the "Patsy Cline Hwy." I kept hearing "Crazy" in my head as I realized how damn long that road is due south through the heart of the Old Dominion. But it was great driving weather and a nice trip.

Glad u made it. Safely. Now that u are there go to Pierces BBQ!!! It's worth it !!

I post tonight from hotel in Williamsburg, having made it in about 7 hours excluding stops. Took 99/30/70/522/33/295/64. Yes, It added a good 45 min to an hour but it was far quicker than my counterpart who incorporated 17 and 95 into his travels and had to bail onto rte 1 things were so bad and congested. I beat him down here by at least 1:45. More red lights my way but no traffic woes and beautiful country. Thinking about going home the same way. Travel time was not a consideration as much as minimizing stress behind the wheel.

I think it was PSUTENN who convinced me with "Trust me, don't do it man." My kid must have said 4 times..."Don't do it man, trust me." We were laughing about it but it worked out great. It was about 360 miles. Again thanks for all inputs and Happy Thanksgiving.

Oh, and part of 522 in VA is the "Patsy Cline Hwy." I kept hearing "Crazy" in my head as I realized how damn long that road is due south through the heart of the Old Dominion. But it was great driving weather and a nice trip.

Great story. I was wondering when I got up today if I would find a post about the horror of 95 or the joys of 522. Glad it was the latter. Down thru that Virginia country is some nice scenery.

Did you use the Berkeley Springs bypass?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT