ADVERTISEMENT

Bucket list

You got a free year with COVID, so you’re only 59. Happy 59th, Stall Caller!! :)
Thanks,
This was the first social media/fan forum I ever joined. I tried to come up with a catchy name. If I had to do it again I would choose something different. With an exception of watching a high school match and ref failing to make guys wrestle ,I never yell the catch phrase.
Live and learn

I just turned 60 last week and my family got me tickets to Nebraska match in Rec Hall. I've never been to State College for dual match. Is there a go to to spot before or after matches that would have a wrestling crowd.?
Before the virus hit: Whiskers (inside the Nittany Lion Inn).

Since the Nebraska match isn't until February, might want to check back on this closer to the time. Whiskers will probably still be the answer, but things haven't exactly been predictable.

I just turned 60 last week and my family got me tickets to Nebraska match in Rec Hall. I've never been to State College for dual match. Is there a go to to spot before or after matches that would have a wrestling crowd.?
Happy birthday.
El-jefe gave you a very correct answer.

Before the virus hit: Whiskers (inside the Nittany Lion Inn).

Since the Nebraska match isn't until February, might want to check back on this closer to the time. Whiskers will probably still be the answer, but things haven't exactly been predictable.

The Nittany Lion Inn, including Whiskers, is closed until at least next summer. It is being used to host COVID quarantine in insolation.

There are a number of bars/restaurants on College Avenue. You can park in the Fraser Street garage and go there and walk up the hill to Rec Hall. I don't know of any that are specifically targeting wrestling fans. The Federal Tap House advertises as the host for wrestling fans but the last few times we went there after a dual we couldn't get a table because they were basically closed. That was pre COVID obviously.

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone
Groups have moved around since the closing of the Nittany Lion Inn (Whiskers). As mentioned, some go to the Federal Tap House, though my experience is only AFTER a match. Another location that may have some action is the Happy Valley Brewing Company on Elmwood Street in Lemont.

Reactions: hlstone and ChillW
Federal Tap House is bumping after a big Friday evening dual--but we only have 1 of those this year (Buckeyes the Friday before Nebby). I ran into Lorenzo and Fritz both after the ASU dual there. Bill Pickles is another spot I've seen w/ some wrestling fans. The newest expansion from the Phyrst's liquor license also has a nice "adult" vibe in a town that mostly caters to undergrads.

Reactions: Callthestall
The Nittany Lion Inn, including Whiskers, is closed until at least next summer. It is being used to host COVID quarantine in insolation.

There are a number of bars/restaurants on College Avenue. You can park in the Fraser Street garage and go there and walk up the hill to Rec Hall. I don't know of any that are specifically targeting wrestling fans. The Federal Tap House advertises as the host for wrestling fans but the last few times we went there after a dual we couldn't get a table because they were basically closed. That was pre COVID obviously.

Actually, the Nittany Lion Inn is being used as a residence hall and for classrooms. Quarantining is elsewhere.

Reactions: manatree
Federal Tap House is bumping after a big Friday evening dual--but we only have 1 of those this year (Buckeyes the Friday before Nebby). I ran into Lorenzo and Fritz both after the ASU dual there. Bill Pickles is another spot I've seen w/ some wrestling fans. The newest expansion from the Phyrst's liquor license also has a nice "adult" vibe in a town that mostly caters to undergrads.
I was in the Phyrst a few times from 1982 - 1985. Went there 1982 after The Nebraska football game. If I remember I saw a band called Phyrst Family. I also think I whacked my head on a pipe on the stairway. ???

I was in the Phyrst a few times from 1982 - 1985. Went there 1982 after The Nebraska football game. If I remember I saw a band called Phyrst Family. I also think I whacked my head on a pipe on the stairway. ???
Lol, sounds just about right. The Phyrst is still there, and every bit the dive you would remember if you could. My elementary school buddy's mom played in the Phyrst Family. The new places are called Local Whiskey and Central Reservation--and they're both far classier (the latter the classiest).

Reactions: Callthestall
If I remember I saw the south end goal post cruising up College Ave
Was on the field in the masses while it was being pulled down. Then, a couple hours later there it was being trotted thru town.

Was on the field in the masses while it was being pulled down. Then, a couple hours later there it was being trotted thru town.
I knew a PSU football trainer who was from my high school and he got me 4 tickets to the game. We sat in the parents section.
The 4 of us later in the season got in my Toyota Celica Hatchback and drove 24 straight hours, 1300 miles to New Orleans and saw them beat Georgia for their first National Championship.
A week I'll never forget. Good times.

I remember having my toes nearly on the back line of the end zone when Stone Hands caught his second TD of the day. It was glorious.
And I may have been on stage singing with Ernie that night too. It was a blur.
Oh yeah, and my wife is in a picture on the wall as you descend the stairs.

Reactions: KCLion and PSUeng
I’m assuming these places aren’t closed on Sunday? Gonna try to get there early this Sunday to eat and put a few down before the match.

Not all of it, our dorm was a tight group and we broke off a piece on a utility pole and took part of it back to East Halls. I had a hacksaw and most of us got a piece of it.

I definitely am not going there. My nephew's baby's momma works there. lol
She might rat you out! :)

nfl-cayman-nebraska.gif

I remember having my toes nearly on the back line of the end zone when Stone Hands caught his second TD of the day. It was glorious.
And I may have been on stage singing with Ernie that night too. It was a blur.
Oh yeah, and my wife is in a picture on the wall as you descend the stairs.
Were you standing and the railing getting crushed, next to a guy who said, if we get inside the 20 I am over this wall. We jumped the wall and everyone followed like a giant wave. The cops ran at us then headed to the goal line.

I was in the stands listening to you
I was also in the Student section whipping around marshmallows before the "tradition" was banned. I rushed the field, but didn't participate in tearing down the goal post.

I had one occasion of playing pickup basketball against Blackledge at the IM building with some D-linemen on my side. I bridged Todd when he went over my back for an offensive rebound. He complained I might've ended his career. A D-lineman laughed.

It wasn't my finest moment, but back then I was pretty hardwired when it came to competition.

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts for several years Call. But I must admit, when I first saw your screen name, I was sure you were a Hawkeye fan. Your avatar allayed my suspicions.

Reactions: hlstone
I was also in the Student section whipping around marshmallows before the "tradition" was banned. I rushed the field, but didn't participate in tearing down the goal post.

I had one occasion of playing pickup basketball against Blackledge at the IM building with some D-linemen on my side. I bridged Todd when he went over my back for an offensive rebound. He complained I might've ended his career. A D-lineman laughed.

It wasn't my finest moment, but back then I was pretty hardwired when it came to competition.
Ahh, I threw many marshmallows but I never rushed the field, not sure exactly why…. I do remember one game where they had police circle the goalpost to keep them from being pulled down. One guy jumped up and grabbed the crossbeam, the police pulled him, effectively pulling down the goalpost!
A guy on our floor had a piece of the Nebraska game post.

I was a student for the 81 through 85 seasons. I know I also saw @Cowbell Man in suit, and probablypassed him over my head a few times.

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts for several years Call. But I must admit, when I first saw your screen name, I was sure you were a Hawkeye fan. Your avatar allayed my suspicions.
I stated this before , I've never been a social media guy, No Facebook,Twitter ECT. This site was first site I ever joined . I was trying to come up with catchy screen name. Looking back The Call the Stall lingo was not well thought out because it does present the illusion that I'm one those screaming idiot fans. The only time I think I have yelled that catch phrase has been because of my disappointment at high school matches. I would get upset when a referee was intimidated to make call against a veteran high school coach. An example would have been when Nunnamaker was at Nazareth. His kids would stall the whole 3rd period if they had lead against Rohn's Northampton teams. The only ref that would make a stall call was Gene Wass.
I'll have to live with my poor choice of a screen name. I know I could change it but being a New York Jet fan for 52 years it's not my nature to walk away from a poor choice.

Ahh, I threw many marshmallows but I never rushed the field, not sure exactly why…. I do remember one game where they had police circle the goalpost to keep them from being pulled down. One guy jumped up and grabbed the crossbeam, the police pulled him, effectively pulling down the goalpost!
A guy on our floor had a piece of the Nebraska game post.

I was a student for the 81 through 85 seasons. I know I also saw @Cowbell Man in suit, and probablypassed him over my head a few times.
were you Moose house in Steward Hall?

Thanks,
This was the first social media/fan forum I ever joined. I tried to come up with a catchy name. If I had to do it again I would choose something different. With an exception of watching a high school match and ref failing to make guys wrestle ,I never yell the catch phrase.
Live and learn
It’s actually a great name…if you were an Iowa fan!:cool:

I kid, I kid…Happy birthday!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT