ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Mostella Twitter

Simple question. I thought BiG schools guaranteed 4 year scholarships. So what's the truth here?

Also, I find it highly unlikely that the staff refuses to return calls.

Reactions: EPC FAN
Sad time for this young man. Where are his parents? Surely they should realize that this young man attempting to train to play football for PSU is not working out and that their son would be better served to find a place to recover and find his way. And right now that may be back home.

Last edited:
Like everything in life there are 2 sides to a story and the truth usually lies somewhere in-between.

All we know is what he tweeted, but based on that there appears to be more to this story that is unsaid. It’s not just a matter of ‘not being able to gain weight’. A 30 pound weight loss in 12 weeks (or so) is not normal, especially in someone who is reportedly trying to gain weight.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I feel bad for him. That’s a tough situation. I don’t think he sounds like Jordan at all in his tweet. Hopefully he gets some help and gets everything straightened out.

Reactions: PSUEngineer89
Not everyone is a division 1 football player.....academically, socially, athletically or emotionally.

Kid needs to grow up. He complains about a host of medical issues, and wonders why he’s not on the team. He’s under 200 pounds? Kid couldn’t play at Lock Haven at this point, and the offer of a medical retirement or transfer is logical.

He also essentially dropped out last semester. Did he enroll in classes? Did he take any initiative to talk to the staff or school or anyone in the athletic department? Sounds like he didn’t do squat or take any initiative to address his situation.

Like everything in life there are 2 sides to a story and the truth usually lies somewhere in-between.

All we know is what he tweeted, but based on that there appears to be more to this story that is unsaid. It’s not just a matter of ‘not being able to gain weight’. A 30 pound weight loss in 12 weeks (or so) is not normal, especially in someone who is reportedly trying to gain weight.
Agree that there are two sides.....we will never hear one side. Hard for me to believe that this young man was allowed to "slip thru the cracks," never got good advice, never had medical attention and on top of that for no reason at all the whole coaching staff turned on him. If you believe that, I have a bridge for sale.

Have no idea what went on. Hard to believe that Franklin or his staff would be so callous. Doesn’t fit their track record, MO, or personality.

Whatever happened with this young man, I wish he gets better and succeeds where ever he lands.
If this is all true, the school should not charge him for housing and food.

If this is all true, the school should not charge him for housing and food.
Back to my earlier question. Are scholarships guaranteed or not?

I also struggle with his comment that he was surprised that he wasn't registered for class. Why wouldn't he know? Does the football administration register for the players?

Also it doesn’t sound concerning at all.

Don't be an asshole.

It's obviously very concerning for this young man's well being, regardless of whether his side of the story reflects 100% truth or not.

Fans only see a fraction of a percent of these kids' lives and the struggles they go through to make it big. Some of you couch potatoes can make assumptions and denigrate kids all you want, viewing them as means to an end -- winning football games -- while ignoring that they have problems just like anybody else. Grow up.

Nobody here has any idea where the truth truly lays on this story, but one thing is for sure.......he's a kid who needs some help, and I hope he gets it.

Back to my earlier question. Are scholarships guaranteed or not?

I also struggle with his comment that he was surprised that he wasn't registered for class. Why wouldn't he know? Does the football administration register for the players?
It’s my understanding that the Big 10 guarantees 4 year scholarships. Not saying kids don’t get pushed to transfer. But he is guaranteed 4 year scholarship according to Big 10 rules.

It’s my understanding that the Big 10 guarantees 4 year scholarships. Not saying kids don’t get pushed to transfer. But he is guaranteed 4 year scholarship according to Big 10 rules.
Then why would he be forced to pay for anything?

Simple question. I thought BiG schools guaranteed 4 year scholarships. So what's the truth here?

Also, I find it highly unlikely that the staff refuses to return calls.
Yes, I understand they are guaranteed, but he dropped out in the fall so null and void. Also seems like he didn’t respond or agree to his proposed “medical retirement” or notify anyone he planned to return to school for the spring semester.

Look, you don’t think OSU operates this way? It’s unfortunate for him. We compete at the highest level against teams that operate in the same manner. This is more of an indictment of CFB than our coach. He has to do what is needed to compete at the highest level. It’s unfortunate this kid is learning we live in a results oriented world at such a young age. My only advice to him is get use to it.

Don't be an asshole.

It's obviously very concerning for this young man's well being, regardless of whether his side of the story reflects 100% truth or not.

Fans only see a fraction of a percent of these kids' lives and the struggles they go through to make it big. Some of you couch potatoes can make assumptions and denigrate kids all you want, viewing them as means to an end -- winning football games -- while ignoring that they have problems just like anybody else. Grow up.

Nobody here has any idea where the truth truly lays on this story, but one thing is for sure.......he's a kid who needs some help, and I hope he gets it.
I’m glad you got to live the holier than though post. Look I work at the university level. A lot of what these posts say either don’t match up with reality or are excuses I see on a daily basis. Didn’t know you were registered or not? Didn’t know you were dropped from classes or not? Didn’t utilize campus resources which would have kept everyone in the loop? The football people just letting this one drop and not take care of it?

that is why I said it was t concerning to me. Had nothing to do with losing a player.

Reactions: Ski
Don't be an asshole.

Yes he sure does.

Sad time for this young man. Where are his parents? Surely they should realize that this young man attempting to train to play football for PSU is not working out and that their son would be better served to find a place to recover and find his way. And right now that may be back home.
If you read, supposedly his mother is trying hard to get answers…but two sides to every story…

Reactions: GregInPitt
I would assume to keep your scholarship you have to actually be enrolled for classes. Whatever happened there is likely the cause of that issue.

They are for four years but...

Invited to leave
Regardless of whether scholarships are multiyear deals or one-year renewable, schools can end athletes’ tenures because of ineligibility, fraud or misconduct, under NCAA rules.​
Violations of school or athletics rules or policies also can be grounds for “reduction, cancellation or nonrenewal,” the NCAA and schools say in writing.​
But even without such formal definitions, the pressure to win creates a scenario where athletes not uncommonly are “run off,” often disappearing from rosters without much fuss unless a complaint is made.​
Not going to mandatory meetings/classe and not maintaining an acceptable GPA could all be violations of your 'ship contract.

Reactions: Ski and bison13

30 pound weight loss when you should be gaining, depression will do that to you.

I’m glad you got to live the holier than though post. Look I work at the university level. A lot of what these posts say either don’t match up with reality or are excuses I see on a daily basis. Didn’t know you were registered or not? Didn’t know you were dropped from classes or not? Didn’t utilize campus resources which would have kept everyone in the loop? The football people just letting this one drop and not take care of it?

that is why I said it was t concerning to me. Had nothing to do with losing a player.
Holier than thou? LOL.

You made a bush league comment about how none of this is of any seriousness. Well clearly it's serious to this kid, who is very obviously struggling.

You may not care because it doesn't impact the football team. Many care, however, because he's a young man who needs to get help.

Kid should be processed for his own good. He can then go home and get the helps he needs. Football coaches are not experts in mental health.

Kid should be processed for his own good. He can then go home and get the helps he needs. Football coaches are not experts in mental health.
Give him a year off. He can always be reinstated if he makes a strong comeback. But it sounds like he will not return if he believe was treated so poorly. Hopefully, he can recover and continue to play elsewhere if he so desires.

Holier than thou? LOL.

You made a bush league comment about how none of this is of any seriousness. Well clearly it's serious to this kid, who is very obviously struggling.

You may not care because it doesn't impact the football team. Many care, however, because he's a young man who needs to get help.
My original comment which you took and ran with (even though it wasn’t to you) was based on the original post where at the end the op stated it was concerning if true. I basically just said it wasn’t concerning because I thought the op immediately implied g doing by the team when I know for a fact that wasn’t the case. It will be a concern for me from the program standpoint when a starter starts to make accusations about these types of things.

HE WAS OFFERED HELP. Probably 99% more help than a regular college student would ever even be offered. While I feel for the young man and wish him the best, I will stick to my original comment that from a program standpoint it isn’t very concerning. To the young man probably so, to the team not.
As for your attack on me about what I think is important I want to ask you, how many college students have sat in your office and you have talked them down or off a subject and then personally walked them to their next level of help? Until then please put me on ignore the stfu.

Invited to leave
Regardless of whether scholarships are multiyear deals or one-year renewable, schools can end athletes’ tenures because of ineligibility, fraud or misconduct, under NCAA rules.​
Violations of school or athletics rules or policies also can be grounds for “reduction, cancellation or nonrenewal,” the NCAA and schools say in writing.​
But even without such formal definitions, the pressure to win creates a scenario where athletes not uncommonly are “run off,” often disappearing from rosters without much fuss unless a complaint is made.​
Not going to mandatory meetings/classe and not maintaining an acceptable GPA could all be violations of your 'ship contract.
Certainty agree that rules must be followed in order to keep your scholarship. Given the mental illness was involved I would hope any university would help out a kid in this situation. It certainly sounds like he was unable to handle his own affairs given his hospitalization.

By the way, the Big 10 was one of the first, if not the first, to guarantee 4 year scholarships. That was done at a time when conferences like the SEC we’re having spring tryouts to keep scholarships. The SEC would routinely cut scholarship players if they weren’t happy with on field performance.

Last edited:
Certainty agree that rules must be followed in order to keep your scholarship. Given the mental illness was involved I would hope any university would help out a kid in this situation. It certainly sounds like he was unable to handle his own affairs given his hospitalization.

By the way, the Big 10 was one of the first, if not the first, to guarantee 4 year scholarships. That was done at a time when conferences like the SEC we’re having spring tryouts to keep scholarships. The SEC would routinely cut scholarship players if they weren’t happy with on field performance.

Seems like he is being offer a medical retirement which would allow the kid to keep all of his financial aid but to date has rejected it.

30 pound weight loss when you should be gaining, depression will do that to you.
It definitely could, as could other health issues. I think the offered (and refused) medical redshirt would have been a good way for him to continue his education for free. It's very odd to me that he acknowledges being offered this option but doesn't explain why he turned it down.

It definitely could, as could other health issues. I think the offered (and refused) medical redshirt would have been a good way for him to continue his education for free. It's very odd to me that he acknowledges being offered this option but doesn't explain why he turned it down.
Seems like he wanted to remain on the team. Yet with his self described mental health and heart issues that just isn’t possible. Also must consider his safety being 6’6” 200 and attempting to play dline in the big 10

Seems like he wanted to remain on the team. Yet with his self described mental health and heart issues that just isn’t possible. Also must consider his safety being 6’6” 200 and attempting to play dline in the big 10
I'm sure Journey Brown wanted to keep playing football too, but was unable to continue due to health issues. I guess maybe Bryce was unable to accept that his football career was over and declined the medical redshirt (and free education/ongoing care)? Which is his choice, but then don't complain about how PSU "handled it".

PS has serious legal limitations when it comes to responding to this player in public. NO specific health problems can be released without the permission of the player or that of his family. Federal law comes in here. I suggest this will be resolved within PS and his family. I believe the NCAA will approve his football scholarship can be taken away IF PS otherwise pays for his education. NONE of us knows his status or condition.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
PS has serious legal limitations when it comes to responding to this player in public. NO specific health problems can be released without the permission of the player or that of his family. Federal law comes in here. I suggest this will be resolved within PS and his family. I believe the NCAA will approve his football scholarship can be taken away IF PS otherwise pays for his education. NONE of us knows his status or condition.
I agree with you but regarding your second to last sentence, I think if he withdrew from school (which it sounds like he did), then there is no obligation for PSU to honor his scholarship (which they already tried to do via medical redshirt and he declined).

Reactions: Ski
His situation is difficult, and probably would have required an exception to the normal business process, to be properly handled.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT