ADVERTISEMENT

Brock McMillen from Glendale (near Altoona)

Glad to see Glendale have some wrestling success. Back in the day Glendale was known as Beccaria, Coalport and Irvona (BCI) and they didn't have a wrestling team. Actually they're located not far from Philpsburg, Pa.

Glad to see Glendale have some wrestling success. Back in the day Glendale was known as Beccaria, Coalport and Irvona (BCI) and they didn't have a wrestling team. Actually they're located not far from Philpsburg, Pa.
My dad is from Madera

Reactions: papa_ed
even so, he'll have a tough time finding the Glendale Viking.... good prime grouse area in Clearfield County (lots of old strippens)

Ok, who read that as lots of old strippers? I was trying to figure out how that was a good thing for grouse....

Reactions: a_mshaffer
Wanted to ask this in the other thread where this kid was mentioned concerning the kid McMillen wrestled from Mount Union(Josh Boozel) in states. Does anyone know if he wrestling any where after high school? I realize as a graduating senior at 106 that he might be too small at the next level but was curious and a google search didn't turn up anything. Any body have any info on him?

As of states Boozel was still uncommitted.

And just for the record, Boozel is the 113 champ. Gary Steen (Reynolds FR) won 106.

Reactions: palmettolion
I remember playing them in sports back in the day (Northern Bedford), very small school, difficult to compete due to size. I guessing a merger expanded them into the Glendale district?

I remember playing them in sports back in the day (Northern Bedford), very small school, difficult to compete due to size. I guessing a merger expanded them into the Glendale district?
Yeah, still a small school, according to this info in Wiki; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glendale_School_District_(Pennsylvania)

Enrollment for 12 grades is somewhere in the 800 to 900 range over recent years.

Part of the charm of Pennsylvania are the numerous small towns, but many struggle economically.

even so, he'll have a tough time finding the Glendale Viking.... good prime grouse area in Clearfield County (lots of old strippens)

I grew up in that area and when I was a kid, I could leave my house and walk in any direction and within 5 minutes, flush grouse most times (missed more than I hit until I got older). Sadly, even though I still own property there, but with the area developed around my property, plus most of the adjacent areas posted it's more difficult hunting now. I believe with the absence of fox trappers/hunters and now coyotes in the area, the grouse population isn't what it was in those days. I miss those days, and wish I could spend more time there. There are still plenty of strip-mines (never saw a stripper there but have surprised kids parking, while I was fox hunting at night), that are now flush with high grass, spruce and pine trees that i believe are still accessible to hunt and still have a decent grouse population. Guess I should get a good Brittany spaniel and get back to it. I apologize for hi-jacking the thread guys!!

Yeah, still a small school, according to this info in Wiki; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glendale_School_District_(Pennsylvania)

Enrollment for 12 grades is somewhere in the 800 to 900 range over recent years.

Part of the charm of Pennsylvania are the numerous small towns, but many struggle economically.
roy, I don't totally grasp the township, town relationship to the old BCIJ district so I can't comprehend the size difference, if any from back in the day when NBC played them and then again plays them in at least football from seeing schedules in the recent past. It ajppears that the student population may be closer to NBC from the numbers you posted.

I built the former Grandview Golf Course in Lumber City/Grampian many years ago and know the district was bordering that location to the south as I rode my Honda 450 through the area on some fun trips to get away occasionally, living in Clearfield. I'm not sure we didn't have some students from the district working on the course that first year. Nothing wrong with a rural district, lots of charm in driving through tree lined roads to school every day.

My family, then, had a family farm with mountain land in Morrison's Cove, still have the farm and I roamed the woods many times and which I still could. I liked the Clearfield County region while we lived there and would have no trouble moving back other than facilities and medical care reduced from my accustomed level here.

Reactions: royboy
roy, I don't totally grasp the township, town relationship to the old BCIJ district so I can't comprehend the size difference, if any from back in the day when NBC played them and then again plays them in at least football from seeing schedules in the recent past. It ajppears that the student population may be closer to NBC from the numbers you posted.

I built the former Grandview Golf Course in Lumber City/Grampian many years ago and know the district was bordering that location to the south as I rode my Honda 450 through the area on some fun trips to get away occasionally, living in Clearfield. I'm not sure we didn't have some students from the district working on the course that first year. Nothing wrong with a rural district, lots of charm in driving through tree lined roads to school every day.

My family, then, had a family farm with mountain land in Morrison's Cove, still have the farm and I roamed the woods many times and which I still could. I liked the Clearfield County region while we lived there and would have no trouble moving back other than facilities and medical care reduced from my accustomed level here.
The Dubois Clearfield hospital merger has decimated the Clearfield Hospital. It is a shame. At one time Clearfield had a helluva reputation for a smaller, rural hospital.

I only play Eagle's Nest (Grandview) once or twice a year. I played it when it was still young and not matured yet. I believe the course has matured nicely. It certainly is prettier as a green course versus an abandoned strip mine. Good job.

I grew up in that area and when I was a kid, I could leave my house and walk in any direction and within 5 minutes, flush grouse most times (missed more than I hit until I got older). Sadly, even though I still own property there, but with the area developed around my property, plus most of the adjacent areas posted it's more difficult hunting now. I believe with the absence of fox trappers/hunters and now coyotes in the area, the grouse population isn't what it was in those days. I miss those days, and wish I could spend more time there. There are still plenty of strip-mines (never saw a stripper there but have surprised kids parking, while I was fox hunting at night), that are now flush with high grass, spruce and pine trees that i believe are still accessible to hunt and still have a decent grouse population. Guess I should get a good Brittany spaniel and get back to it. I apologize for hi-jacking the thread guys!!

The Game Commission is looking into taking some drastic measures in the coming season. Appears there is a virus hitting the birds pretty hard (correlating to my reduced flush rate). Agree with your assessment with the lack of trappers. It is hard to find 'new' cover since regs have the coal mining companies cleaning up after themselves where they flatten everything out and maybe plant some autumn olives. After 40-50 years the old strippens grew up with a host of black Spruce's, grapes, and high walls (escape routes). Yes, there are still a handful of strip-mining companies going back in and re-stripping the land for some coal that was left behind.
Still get back there to chase the birds a few times every year. Just replaced my lab with a new Boykin Spaniel. I'm impressed with her so far...

he Dubois Clearfield hospital merger has decimated the Clearfield Hospital. It is a shame. At one time Clearfield had a helluva reputation for a smaller, rural hospital.

Unfortunately you're right on there nitlion6, most of my family still lives in the area and most if not all go to Mt. Nittany in St. College. It's one of the reasons I don't move back, but from where I would live it would only be about a 20 minute to a half-hour drive to St. College not much further than Clearfield.

Unfortunately you're right on there nitlion6, most of my family still lives in the area and most if not all go to Mt. Nittany in St. College. It's one of the reasons I don't move back, but from where I would live it would only be about a 20 minute to a half-hour drive to St. College not much further than Clearfield.
What makes it worse is the damage done to Clearfield by the merger has been intentional. Directed by the Dubois administration in a misguided effort to financially prop up DRMC and justify senior administrative salaries that 10 years ago were low to lower middle 6 figures. Now the Penn Highlands Dubois top end administrative folks rake in upwards 2.5 mill. Ton of damage, tremendous amount of greed.

What makes it worse is the damage done to Clearfield by the merger has been intentional. Directed by the Dubois administration in a misguided effort to financially prop up DRMC and justify senior administrative salaries that 10 years ago were low to lower middle 6 figures. Now the Penn Highlands Dubois top end administrative folks rake in upwards 2.5 mill. Ton of damage, tremendous amount of greed.
My wife worked in the Lab at Clearfield Hospital for three years when I was working at Grandview. Sounds like I'm glad she doesn't now. I'm sure "Eagle's Nest", a better name, has matured. Hope they improved the bunkers as I was told no new sand had been added since I left in 1981. It was in great shape when I left with a great crew who was proud of the product. I was told that deteriorated rather quickly, sadly and the crew dissipated. One is supt. at Clearfield-Curwensville CC and others found jobs in the area with several staying in the golf industry. I have fond memories of the crew there, great young men.

I seem to remember a hwt from Glendale. Jim Orichowski. (Sp). He seemed to wrestle at almost all of the spring open tournaments back in the mid 80s. I think he won a D6 title as well

I seem to remember a hwt from Glendale. Jim Orichowski. (Sp). He seemed to wrestle at almost all of the spring open tournaments back in the mid 80s. I think he won a D6 title as well
Sports "Greatness" at Glendale, are very few and far between. With that said, way back in 1973, Glendale had a great basketball team led by Sam Tiesi, which went all the way to the elite 8 in the Class A Basketball PIAA tournament, back when there were only two classes. They came within an eyelash of the final four which would have been, basically, on par with the Hickory team in the 1950's in Indiana from the movie "Hoosiers"....Yes, that much of a once in a lifetime thing. Having grown up in the area, I cannot recall a state champion from Glendale for a very long time, perhaps ever, but Brock, in my mind, has a real authentic chance to be a 3 time PIAA champion. His trajectory is amazing, he gets better exponentially and is beginning to mirror the development of a few great Penn State wrestlers we have seen currently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT