ADVERTISEMENT

Brock Huard

His surfer voice is very annoying, and it didn't take a fancy analyst to see how screwed up things were.

Agreed, Huard was a bit of a blow hard in the past and I see no sign of him regressing this year. He has had an issue with PSU imo and I don't say that about most other announcers. He sounds condescending in general. I wish they put him on west coast games as that is where his heart lies and his desire is. A former UW QB he may be correct about many things although I'm not conceding that other than the obvious my wife noted from the Temple game. Huard is like the human equivalent of finger nails across a black board to me. To each his own, Huard is not my taste and it is OK if others think he is great, I don't.

The one comment he did make that was very insightful and I agreed with whole heartedly was the reference to the Indianapolis Colts when they had one Peyton Manning at QB and the had an O-Line that couldn't keep him upright. Huard said the Colts changed there offense to max protection and ran 2 man routes with Reggie Wayne and another receiver, sometimes sending Dallas Clark over the middle. Seems the Colts won a lot of games with that style....Yo Donavan...you listening???

IMHO his analysis was right on all day long for both teams, I'll take him anytime vs 90% of the other options.

If you don't like his (or other) commentary, turn off the sound instead of listening to it for three hours then bitching about it for the next several days!

I thought Huard was great to listen to. Look, for a really experienced football mind, one would not even need these guys pointing things out to us. I have watched more football than I care to admit, but I always feel the color guys should be there for the folks who don't fully understand the game or have a trained eye at viewing some of the schematics with routes/protections/play-calls. He was highly critical of Hack, which will ruffle some feathers on this board for sure, and he was highly critical of the O-line, which will will ruffle no feathers here. I thought an average fan of football, specifically penn state football, probably learned something from him on Saturday. I loved when he showed our receivers downfield all basically holding hands with no separation. He basically begged Donovan to take a shot downfield when we were in the Temple's 40 on 2 occasions in the 2nd quarter.

He talked so much on Sat. he was bound to hit on something.;)
Seriously though, he did make some really good comments but just tone it down some.

In no way did I attempt to say what his points were, were in error, he was spot on but its the way Huard brings it. I don't care for him and I didn't care for him five years ago. I don't think I'll grow to enjoy his self hubris anymore in the future. Had Herbstriet said similar things he would not have sounded like a tape recorder on circular mode but would have likely made other points as well. It's a personality thing with me and I believe Huard has if for us because I've listened to him too often in the past when we had low ranked opponents, poor teams and obviously were no contending for anything. Brock grates my nerves with his voice. He soothes the soul like a drill sergeant at 5:30 a.m.

Not so dumb.. Was a very intelligent analyst Saturday

Did you catch when he made a comment about PSU fans in "College Station Pennsylvania"? College Station is where aTm is located. But this doesn't have anything to do with him being dumb, but it does show a tremendous lack of preparation as most knowledgeable College Sports Fans know that College Station is in Texas and is the home of aTm, College Park is in Maryland and is the home of the University of Maryland and State College is in Pennsylvania and the home of PSU.

He was spot on with his comments about CH's early play. Even on the catchable balls, which was only about half CH's throws and tended to be every other throw, they were not very good throws hitting his targets "in rhythm". For instance, his first throw to Geno Lewis on the WR screen was catchable, but Lewis had to reach down around his feet while trying to survey who was coming for him - he dropped the ball because he took his eyes of it, but it probably wouldn't have mattered as the throw destroyed the "timing" on the play and that play is not going to go anywhere when the player has to wait for the ball, drop down to get ball, reset himself and survey what's going on......the bad throw blows up the play on a "quick out" like that. Then there was the ball that Lewis could have caught on the crossing pattern (there was a "dirt ball" thrown to the left side on a WR screen wedged in between). While Lewis could have caught the ball on the crossing pattern it was thrown well behind him and he had to reach back across his body as his momentum was taking him away from the ball - one of the most difficult catches as your body's momentum is pulling you away from the ball and you are reaching back against yourself for all your worth. Even if you catch it, it blows up all the YAC - on that play, CH "wrong-sided" the receiver, had he produced the opposite and thown it in front of Lewis and "right-sided" him, Lewis would have gone a long way and possible even scored as he had separation and was streaking across the middle.

IOW, even on the catchable balls, CH's throws were "loose" and he was not well dialed in with his receivers - and this is what Huard said. Very shortly thereafter CH missed Hamilton for an easy score due to another errant throw. So yes, I think his early comments were mostly spot on, but he doesn't have the most entertaining delivery IMHO.

Huard was accurate on his assessment of our offense. He said Hackenberg needs to be much better, and illustrated it on the numerous bad throws including the certain touchdown that was overthrown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT