ADVERTISEMENT

Breakout Ztars for 2018

zzang

Feb 1, 2018
NYC
First I would like to define break out stars as 'A player who is selected as 1st or 2nd team all big ten for the first time in their career.'

Here are my picks:

Will Fries
Miles Sanders
Juwan Johnson
Kevin Givens
Shaka Toney

Reactions: LionJim
First I would like to define break out stars as 'A player who is selected as 1st or 2nd team all big ten for the first time in their career.'

Here are my picks:

Will Fries
Miles Sanders
Juwan Johnson
Kevin Givens
Shaka Toney
you need to see LionJIm's post about cryptic subject lines!!

Reactions: brupsu and OhioLion
I am going to go with one who has been under the radar for the past 2 seasons with injuries and behind the depth chart, Mike Menet. I think he's going to have a monster break out year on the line. His smarts and awareness are going to be big with the lines development next year IMO.

Reactions: HunterHemsley

Here are my picks:

Will Fries
Miles Sanders
Juwan Johnson
Kevin Givens
Shaka Toney
Shaka Toney won't even start, at best a situational pass rusher. I think Sanders and Fries will be good, but not all-conference. Of your 5, Givens and Johnson are the most likely to get any post season recognition. McGovern, Bates, Miller and Reid would also be good bets.

Hope Shaka can put the weight back on. IIRC he was down to around 223 at the last weigh in. He is a real nice weapon to have in the DL rotation with the ability to rush the passer.

Shaka Toney won't even start, at best a situational pass rusher. I think Sanders and Fries will be good, but not all-conference. Of your 5, Givens and Johnson are the most likely to get any post season recognition. McGovern, Bates, Miller and Reid would also be good bets.

Yep, with Gross Matos breaking out (more likely a candidate than Toney) and Simmons also likely ahead of Toney, That makes Toney likely behind Miller, Buchholz, Brown, Gross-Matos and Simmons. How likely is it that the 6th DE will break out?

Nice initial list. Removing Toney and adding Gross-Matos and Menet would make it more complete. Anther candidate might be Wade. Before Wade changed positions I would have said possibly Monroe at Safety.

Last edited:

Here are my picks:

Will Fries
Miles Sanders
Juwan Johnson
Kevin Givens
Shaka Toney

Here are my picks:

Will Fries
Miles Sanders
Juwan Johnson
Kevin Givens
Shaka Toney

Shariff Miller

Keep trying. Shareef Miller.

But yeah I agree with you, if he stays healthy he's a breakout type player.

Miller and Buchholtz are both all-B1G caliber players - with that position it's all about avoiding injuries.

Miller & Johnson are two that I think will definitely break out. I'm really interested to see what happens in our secondary next year and at RB.

I feel like almost the entire starting OL is potentially breakout caliber. Gonzo and Wright both showed flashes of absolute dominance at times. We know how good Bates and McGovern are. We know how much potential there is in Menet, Gellerstadt and Mike Miranda.

You just have no idea who's going to blow up this fall but it will be at least a couple of these guys.

Can't believe that no one has mentioned John Reid. He was our top corner as a sophomore and would have been 1st or 2nd team B1G last year if not for his injury. He was better that soph year than any of the secondary guys that are off to the NFL.

Keep in mind Reid, Bates, mcsorley, etc have already been on all big ten teams so they aren't break out stars.

Can't believe that no one has mentioned John Reid. He was our top corner as a sophomore and would have been 1st or 2nd team B1G last year if not for his injury. He was better that soph year than any of the secondary guys that are off to the NFL.

The list was for new 1st or 2nd team B10 players. Did he make 1st or 2nd team B10 in 2016? If not he could be the leader on the list.......

I think Reid returning will be huge but I don't consider him a breakout star. I feel like that has to be someone that hasn't already proven they're capable of that level

I think Reid returning will be huge but I don't consider him a breakout star. I feel like that has to be someone that hasn't already proven they're capable of that level
I understand that view, however, the OP defined breakout star by being a 1st time 1st or 2nd team B1G performer. John was honorable mention as a soph, which is why by the OP's definition he will be a breakout star this year.

Boobie is gonna ....not only break out but quietly and consistently kick ass....start to finish. Mark it down and crucify me if I am wrong.

I understand that view, however, the OP defined breakout star by being a 1st time 1st or 2nd team B1G performer. John was honorable mention as a soph, which is why by the OP's definition he will be a breakout star this year.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from and I don't think you're wrong. I just wasn't considering him as a "breakout" guy but you're absolutely right

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT