ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon McIlwain

LafayetteBear

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2009
This guy is a QB who just transferred from South Carolina to Cal. I have no idea what to expect from him, but I understand that he was Pennsylvania's High School "Gatorade Player of the Year" in 2015. My guess is that he might have been recruited by PSU, and that someone here might know a little bit about him.

Any info would be appreciated.

This guy is a QB who just transferred from South Carolina to Cal. I have no idea what to expect from him, but I understand that he was Pennsylvania's High School "Gatorade Player of the Year" in 2015. My guess is that he might have been recruited by PSU, and that someone here might know a little bit about him.

IIRC, he was one of our top two QB targets the year he was recruited (2016) - the other was Jarrett Guarantano, who ended up signing with Tennessee. We signed Jake Zembiec after they were off the board.

The kid was pretty good and I remember being upset we didn't get him. If I recall, his family had all went to South Carolina which is why he ended up there.
He never gave us, or anyone else a sniff. I am very surprised he never panned out for them.

The kid was pretty good and I remember being upset we didn't get him. If I recall, his family had all went to South Carolina which is why he ended up there.
He never gave us, or anyone else a sniff. I am very surprised he never panned out for them.

Well, he was there less than a year, right? 2016 was his first season. Too early to call a bust, but....

He was also a very good baseball prospect. I believe that factored into his South Carolina commitment.

He was a great baseball player and was very athletic. However, I have talked to some USCe fans about him and they all remarked that they were very disappointed with what they got. He is small and his arm is not nearly as good as was advertised.

I'm fairly certain he was recruited hard by us and that he legitimately considered us. I think he had a final 2 of us and UCS, but he went with them because of baseball and he had family in the area. We were also coming off a 7-6 slog with a terrible offense which I don't think helped.

A lot of those "Gatorade" (or Parade, for that matter) accolades have ZERO relevance to a kid's status as a potential college recruit. And they don't pretend to be - - - - they are designed to recognize HIGH SCHOOL achievements - not some type of college prospect ranking.

PSU certainly recruited him - - - - but anyone who worried on his commitment - to any degree past "we need to get a QB in this class "- was silly (I sure don't think anyone on the CJF staff felt they missed a rare opportunity) .

McIlwain was an outstanding high school (multi-sport) athlete - - - and was deserving of his honors as a high school competitor...... but a marginal, at best, D1-P5 QB recruit.

Reminiscent of another former Gatorade PA player of the year - - - - Andrew Ford, the QB from Cedar Cliff (Breneman's teammate) who went to VT - JUCO - and now to UMass.

He looked lost on the field when he played for USC last year. He'd likely still be there, except that he was unseated by a true freshman mid-year, Jake Bentley. After Bentley took over, McIlwain's mom took her case to twitter, and made some statements about favoritism (Bentley's dad coaches for the team) that lead me to believe he wouldn't stay at USC very long. He might develop, and can run; but his passing was a train-wreck.

There have also been some stud Gatorade POTY recipients. For example, Bron Bron won it for basketball in Ohio in the early 2000s.

Many reports have it wrong on here. He committed to USCe very early in his SR year, maybe even the summer before. Spurrier was still the coach. And remember Spurrie had Magnus, the former Del Vall College coach on his staff and he recruited PA. Did pretty well. Baseball was definitely a factor and some even had him pegged as a 1st round draftee in the MLB right out of HS, but he wants to play FB in college too. After Muschamp was named the coach he gave us another sniff and even visited PSU in Dec, but decided to stick with USCe. He enrolled early and lit it up in the spring game. He got his shot early in his FR year (I think the starting QB got hurt), but did not look ready. He took off running a few times and got drilled, as SEC defenses are a little different than HS defenses. He fumbled two or three times. And thereafter, most defenses realized he wasn't a passing threat at this time and just teed off. They switched QBs to another less heralded true FR and that kid did pretty good. So now McIlwain was probably sitting at #2 QB at best behind a kid in his own class. And wanting to play basbell during the spring. Tough spot to be in. So, really a transfer is in his best interest, especially if he still wants to play 2 sports.

Best of luck to Brandon, I followed his whole high school career. I always thought his future was in baseball. Hopefully he won't get involved in all the political nonsense at Cal-Berkeley.

True Freshman QB that did not pan out? He played vs most freshman that have yet to see the field. Do you think Clifford is going to start this year?

I was specifically referring to the baseball aspect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT