ADVERTISEMENT

BOT Elections. Anyone know who PS4RS is supporting and why?

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Only opinion I have is that de Levie came here and wouldn't respond to reasonable questions....

When they mention "equality" as a platform that pretty much eliminates them for me, but we need to vote for someone, and GLOV doesn't seem to be running........

Any opinions or information, or reason to vote FOR one of the 6 ?

Last edited:
Reactions: moonpsu and Pride
BOT Elections. Anyone know who PS4RS is supporting and why?

I asked @ two months ago. At that point, they were only committing to trying to help alums make an informed opinion -- hence the Town Hall. I'm not sure if they will be endorsing any candidates; my guess is they probably will not.

nly opinion I have is that de Levie came here and wouldn't respond to reasonable questions....

I totally disagree. I believe he responded to quite a few questions on the day he posted. I don't think he's been back to the thread, so he simply hasn't responded to posts beyond a certain time.

And your post (which referenced United Nations) seemed more like a commentary than a question.

Reactions: step.eng69
I asked @ two months ago. At that point, they were only committing to trying to help alums make an informed opinion -- hence the Town Hall. I'm not sure if they will be endorsing any candidates; my guess is they probably will not.

I totally disagree. I believe he responded to quite a few questions on the day he posted. I don't think he's been back to the thread, so he simply hasn't responded to posts beyond a certain time.

And your post (which referenced United Nations) seemed more like a commentary than a question.

The United Nations reference was regarding PSU falling away from admitting a large core of PA residents, trying to get his opinion on the increased percentage of out of state and foreign students at PSU.

He created a thread, then seemed to abandon it which is a reflection on his communication skills and ability to follow something he started to an end. Whereas Brandon Short, as I recall, when he posted was thorough enough to respond to comments and questions in the thread he created. As most candidates in any election would do.

JMO.

I was looking to see if anyone here had any information beyond each candidates posted Position Statement.

Do they still mostly just post about squirrels over there these days?

Here is a recording of the PS4RS Town Hall with the six candidates including two incumbents. It is 1:37 long.

Listen to the response to the question regarding Board reform at 1:06 hours. Wagman says the current Board size is necessary, contrary to the Auditor Generals Reports.

Also at 1:12 hours listen to the response to the question, would you repudiate the Freeh Report? Wagman says NO, we need to move forward and not look backwards. Sounds a lot like Karen Peetz.

I’m supporting Jim Bognet, Bridget McCarthy and Alvin de Levie.

Of the three, Bognet seems to be the most notable because of his bid for the 8th Congressional District seat last year. He lost 51% to 49% to the incumbent (D).

The United Nations reference was regarding PSU falling away from admitting a large core of PA residents, trying to get his opinion on the increased percentage of out of state and foreign students at PSU.

He created a thread, then seemed to abandon it which is a reflection on his communication skills and ability to follow something he started to an end. Whereas Brandon Short, as I recall, when he posted was thorough enough to respond to comments and questions in the thread he created. As most candidates in any election would do.

JMO.

I was looking to see if anyone here had any information beyond each candidates posted Position Statement.
I missed that thread. However, with regard to the above many state universities in the US are doing this, and for one reason - money. I know firsthand about this as my brother-in-law is the CFO for a large midwestern state university and I witnesses a phone call between him and the university president fretting about the loss of foreign and out of state students and how they needed to find ways to increase recruitment of these people. Before the pandemic we found out from a newspaper article that the student population was approximately 12% Chinese (mainland) nationals, which was absolutely stunning. They are very well paying customers. The tuition structure at the school, most to least is Foreign > Out of State >> In State. State politicians don’t care because that means the state doesn’t have to provide as much state support and can spend the money elsewhere.

Listen to the response to the question regarding Board reform at 1:06 hours. Wagman says the current Board size is necessary, contrary to the Auditor Generals Reports.

Also at 1:12 hours listen to the response to the question, would you repudiate the Freeh Report? Wagman says NO, we need to move forward and not look backwards. Sounds a lot like Karen Peetz.

Of the three, Bognet seems to be the most notable because of his bid for the 8th Congressional District seat last year. He lost 51% to 49% to the incumbent (D).
Just what we need. A politician that kicks field goals on the BOT. What a joke.

I think Jim is a very good candidate. Go to -55:30 and listen to his answer on the type of person needed to replace Barron.

Alvin is probably my second choice, but I'm not sure he'll do much more than talk. Is he an actual worker or just a philosopher?

Bridget is too concerned with pleasing everyone, IMO, for her to even attempt to accomplish something positive. I came away with the feeling that she doesn't quite understand the role of a Trustee vs that of a mid-level Manager, but that's JMO.

There is one Train Wreck on this recording.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
I think Jim is a very good candidate. Go to -55:30 and listen to his answer on the type of person needed to replace Barron.

Alvin is probably my second choice, but I'm not sure he'll do much more than talk. Is he an actual worker or just a philosopher?

Bridget is too concerned with pleasing everyone, IMO, for her to even attempt to accomplish something positive. I came away with the feeling that she doesn't quite understand the role of a Trustee vs that of a mid-level Manager, but that's JMO.

There is one Train Wreck on this recording.
Train wreck as in collectively or one person in particular?

Give it a second or two as the start of the video seems to be stuck and then starts up.

The link I posted above is from the PS4RS Facebook page so if you want you could go there and watch it directly.

Scroll past the initial "Photos" section and it's the first post in the "Posts" section

Thanks but looks like the video is completely gone now.

Only opinion I have is that de Levie came here and wouldn't respond to reasonable questions....

When they mention "equality" as a platform that pretty much eliminates them for me, but we need to vote for someone, and GLOV doesn't seem to be running........

Any opinions or information, or reason to vote FOR one of the 6 ?
Equal protection under the law is a core concept of any democracy- what would you substitute for it?

I disagree. Jim Bognet impressed me. Go to the -55:30 point and listen to him answer a question. It'll take less then 3 minutes.

Video appears to be no longer available. Regardless, my conclusion isn't based on one single answer, but overall performance.

So, who was the drunk one?

I wrote in Barry for my lone vote.
I'm going to write-in Barry as well and I'll vote for Bognet as my number 2. I'll probably vote for Alvin as my default number 3. We need to get the incumbents out so that's why I'm voting for 3 people.

Reactions: francofan
So, who was the drunk one?

I wrote in Barry for my lone vote.
Unfortunately, Barry's personality will preclude him from ever getting elected to the BOT. But, if you can get past his profanity laced insults of people, he really is dialed in to the mind-boggling lack of financial responsibility and management exhibited by the university as a whole.

I'm going to write-in Barry as well and I'll vote for Bognet as my number 2. I'll probably vote for Alvin as my default number 3. We need to get the incumbents out so that's why I'm voting for 3 people.

I am going to write-in Barry as well. My other 2 votes will be for Alvin and Bognet. They seem to me to be the most motivated to refute the Freeh Report, to honor Joe & Sue, and to do what it takes to get to the bottom of what has caused the unnecessary damage to our great university over the last decade or so.

Try going to the PS4RS Facebook page and then scrolling down to the post. I know it’s a bit cumbersome but it works.

It appears you have to be logged into facebook now as they put some security on their page. I guess they didn't like this thread.

Not sure what they hope to accomplish by doing this other than restricting those without a facebook account from making an informed decision about the candidates.
I believe they ran into a technical problem and are in the process of re-posting.

Reactions: Agoodnap
I missed that thread. However, with regard to the above many state universities in the US are doing this, and for one reason - money. I know firsthand about this as my brother-in-law is the CFO for a large midwestern state university and I witnesses a phone call between him and the university president fretting about the loss of foreign and out of state students and how they needed to find ways to increase recruitment of these people. Before the pandemic we found out from a newspaper article that the student population was approximately 12% Chinese (mainland) nationals, which was absolutely stunning. They are very well paying customers. The tuition structure at the school, most to least is Foreign > Out of State >> In State. State politicians don’t care because that means the state doesn’t have to provide as much state support and can spend the money elsewhere.
Yep, I know the reasons. And I guess it’s a fairytale to believe that there is a possibility that PSU would turn away money that they could use to lavish upon themselves and instead actually do what the citizens of PA believe is expected....

Last edited:
I disagree. Jim Bognet impressed me. Go to the -55:30 point and listen to him answer a question. It'll take less then 3 minutes.

I know Jim personally. Extremely intelligent and also willing to be aggressive. Does not aim to please, aims to get things done.

While I cannot guarantee he behavior once on the board my view is he will be what we need.

LdN

Reactions: psu00
Equal protection under the law is a core concept of any democracy- what would you substitute for it?

About anything.

As you pointed out, its common sense, a given, and not a platform that would differentiate one candidate from another.

Last edited:
Reactions: LionDeNittany
About anything.

As you pointed out, its common sense, a given, and not a platform that would differentiate one candidate from another.

Except it’s not a given. If you frame it another way - instead of how you are - do you think Pennsylvanians have equal and equitable access to an affordable education at Penn State?

Except it’s not a given. If you frame it another way - instead of how you are - do you think Pennsylvanians have equal and equitable access to an affordable education at Penn State?

Well that's a platform. Providing an affordable education to all PA residents.

Equality is not.

LdN

Reactions: NewEra 2014
Well that's a platform. Providing an affordable education to all PA residents.

Equality is not.

LdN

Why not?

I’d add that the BOT candidate who posted here never said ‘equality’ - pretty sure he said ‘diversity, equity, and inclusion,’ IIRC. Equality and equity are not the same thing but folks here transposed (or straight up misrepresented) what he said to pick at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ouirpsu
If Fenchak ever put in the work to get on the ballot, I'd strongly consider voting for him simply because he's different from everyone we've ever elected

But he'd rather grandstand and berate and curse than put in the work of gathering enough nominations

Why not?

I’d add that the BOT candidate who posted here never said ‘equality’ - pretty sure he said ‘diversity, equity, and inclusion,’ IIRC. Equality and equity are not the same thing but folks here transposed (or straight up misrepresented) what he said to pick at it.

Because this is an Alumni seat on the BOT, not a mission statement for the U.N.

Unless one of the candidates specifically came out against diversity, equality and equity, it is a given.

LdN

Why not?

If the candidate was deLevie, I stand guilty as nitpicker-in-chief. He did say "equity" and I asked what that meant because I wanted to see if there was any depth beyond sloganeering. He changed it to equality and I then asked if he meant "equality of opportunity" or "equality of outcome." He never responded to that.

Now that I've seen the candidates, I have to say that I wouldn't vote for any for the proverbial dogcatcher.

Because this is an Alumni seat on the BOT, not a mission statement for the U.N.

Unless one of the candidates specifically came out against diversity, equality and equity, it is a given.

LdN

Disagree. Nothing is a given. And if it were, then it’s true for everything. Like all things, equity and diversity are relative. You can dislike it - and I believe most here do - but saying something is a given because no one has come out against it is just not true.

If the candidate was deLevie, I stand guilty as nitpicker-in-chief. He did say "equity" and I asked what that meant because I wanted to see if there was any depth beyond sloganeering. He changed it to equality and I then asked if he meant "equality of opportunity" or "equality of outcome." He never responded to that.

Now that I've seen the candidates, I have to say that I wouldn't vote for any for the proverbial dogcatcher.

It was.

Disagree. Nothing is a given. And if it were, then it’s true for everything. Like all things, equity and diversity are relative. You can dislike it - and I believe most here do - but saying something is a given because no one has come out against it is just not true.

Equity and diversity are fine things. Question is what does one do when they come into conflict. Doubt that any of the candidates have even considered the possibility much less given it any thought. Inclusion is just a pant load.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Then it was me and he punted. Not a good sign for "inclusion" to the BoT.

It’s a fair question but seemed like he bailed after getting attacked for two or three pages. I agree if you’re gonna come here for votes you should be prepared for some tough questions and hostility, but I also understand lost causes (and this is one of them). Could have been any candidate I think - result would be the same.

Reactions: BBrown
It’s a fair question but seemed like he bailed after getting attacked for two or three pages. I agree if you’re gonna come here for votes you should be prepared for some tough questions and hostility, but I also understand lost causes (and this is one of them). Could have been any candidate I think - result would be the same.

He did bail, but I'll give him a pass because he may not have been prepared to invest much time in this forum.

On the other hand, what i witnessed in the PS$RS Q&A was a bunch of surfing and no demonstration of depth. Pretty much true of all of the candidates, not just deLevie.

Reactions: Midnighter2
If the candidate ....

That's about how I felt. I would have loved to just eliminate all of the "woke" candidates, that are a recipe for being "broke". But there were not 3 without that hogwash. But some took it a few steps further into the crap by saying you should vote for them because the BOT should be "woke", so at least I could eliminate some.....

;)

Lombrano came here and stuck it out on every occasion. But then again he is a businessman with actual experience and big time accomplishments, so that differentiates him from most of the current group.
;)

Reactions: FHSPSU67
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT